INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Window Cleaning

+3
espíritu del lago
viajero
CheenaGringo
7 posters

Go down

Window Cleaning Empty Window Cleaning

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:59 am

Since the other topic was labeled: For The Ladies, I felt that I would abide by the stated terms. Probably safe to say that cleaning windows or glass is one of the least favorite things for either sex depending on who decides to tackle the job. Here in Albuquerque, we have issues similar to those at Lake Chapala - high altitude, dust/sand, hard water in places, etc. At the recommendation of a friend from Lake Chapala, I recently tried: http://www.windex.com/products/outdoor-all-in-one/
Not sure what makes this such a special product but I can tell you that this was the easiest and most satisfying product I have ever used on windows! Mineral deposits disappear and I have seen virtually no streaking.

At last report, it doesn't appear to have hit the Mexican market yet but it is a product well worth having someone bring down from NOB or maybe Super Lake could arrange to get some?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Window Cleaning Empty window washing

Post by viajero Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:14 am

Lee Trevino the mexican/american pro golfer was washing the windows on his house in El Paso when a woman passing by asked him how much he charged,his reply,I do these windows for free since the lady of the house lets me sleep with her.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Window Cleaning Empty Re: Window Cleaning

Post by espíritu del lago Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:05 am

For those who choose to save some money here is a recipe for do it your selfer's.

Inside windows

Spray bottle
One-half cup rubbing alcohol
One-eighth cup ammonia
One teaspoon liquid dish soap
One quart of water

Drop of Dawn or really good degreaser liquid dish soap will cut the grease from cooking with gas, and tar and nicotine for those who still smoke inside. You can add more to suit your needs, so just experiment.

Adding a little baking soda will make windows shine.

Cleaning windows when the sun is shining directly on them causes streaking.

For the ladies who use a lot of hairspray for your counter tops and mirror just use:

One cup rubbing alcohol
One cup water
One tablespoon ammonia

And before anybody says that the fumes will hurt you, niether my hired help me or my wife is dead or have had issues with my recipes and I am a smoker..

Always label..

Now for outside windows I will post later as I have errands to run...
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:29 am

"Cleaning windows when the sun is shining directly on them causes streaking"

While I have always found this to be true, I tried this Windex product on our glass sliders when the morning sun was on them and experienced no streaking. Another thing that turned me into a real believer!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:34 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Since the other topic was labeled: For The Ladies, I felt that I would abide by the stated terms. Probably safe to say that cleaning windows or glass is one of the least favorite things for either sex depending on who decides to tackle the job. Here in Albuquerque, we have issues similar to those at Lake Chapala - high altitude, dust/sand, hard water in places, etc. At the recommendation of a friend from Lake Chapala, I recently tried: http://www.windex.com/products/outdoor-all-in-one/
Not sure what makes this such a special product but I can tell you that this was the easiest and most satisfying product I have ever used on windows! Mineral deposits disappear and I have seen virtually no streaking.

At last report, it doesn't appear to have hit the Mexican market yet but it is a product well worth having someone bring down from NOB or maybe Super Lake could arrange to get some?

Mineral spots disappear? I'm thinking gotta have that. Friend are now NOB, so I'll ask them to bring it back. I guess you need that tool as well.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:03 pm

The initial purchase is a kit but then one purchases the replacement pads separately. I usually don't get excited by cleaning products but I now get this product anytime the windows show any sign of being dirty.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:39 pm

OMG! Gotta get that stuff...thank you Neil! Consider yourself one of the ladies (and that's a compliment!!!)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:16 pm

Ferret:

Thank you but the clothes just don't fit! With only two of us in the household, there are no his or hers type chores. I was raised for 16 years with full time servants but still had certain things I had to do daily or weekly.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:56 pm

The homes on the indescribably splendid roads between San Cristóbal de Las Casas and Pantelho through Chenalho with detours to such places as Larrainzar and Aldama through drop-dead fantastic high mountain terrain with villages perched on sheer cliffs are characterized by one peculiar feature, These homes with the most fantastic views on the planet have no windows.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:07 pm

I feel a story or history lesson coming. Or are you trying to tell us that windows are a waste of money and time?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Mine will be short. In some cultures, people who want to go outside and look at the scenery do so. Houses are for shelter. Windows can be a PITA. Much can be said for windowless high walls and beautifully landscaped central courtyards.
flag waver

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:36 pm

After living on the Oregon Coast for 12 years, windows and natural light (sunshine) mean a great deal to us! Even if we had a central courtyard I would still want plenty of windows facing it. With the Windex tool, I can do all of our ground floor windows in less than 15 minutes and our high clerestory windows take another 20 because I have to get out the ladder and take a hose to the roof.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:43 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:After living on the Oregon Coast for 12 years, windows and natural light (sunshine) mean a great deal to us! Even if we had a central courtyard I would still want plenty of windows facing it. With the Windex tool, I can do all of our ground floor windows in less than 15 minutes and our high clerestory windows take another 20 because I have to get out the ladder and take a hose to the roof.

You, and many other people as well. Note "in some cultures". LOL.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:45 pm

I thought we had evolved from cave living.Very Happy I gotta have my windows and I gotta have fresh air. But, you're absolutely right, windows are a PITA...especially those facing west 'cuz, well, ya gotta have a view of the ocean and the sunsets. DUH! Were we dumb!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:30 pm

I rarely get excited by one of the new gimmick products but this one certainly earned my respect and attention! Now, we have a 10 foot wide and 12 foot high mirror that surrounds our fireplace and I would pay big bucks to find a solution to cleaning it and keeping it streak free. While the Windex system would probably do the trick, we can't exactly turn a hose on it to rinse it off.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:37 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:I rarely get excited by one of the new gimmick products but this one certainly earned my respect and attention! Now, we have a 10 foot wide and 12 foot high mirror that surrounds our fireplace and I would pay big bucks to find a solution to cleaning it and keeping it streak free. While the Windex system would probably do the trick, we can't exactly turn a hose on it to rinse it off.

Rinsing, who said anything about rinsing? I love cleaning products, even though I don't do the cleaning. A matter of some concern to my long suffering husband. I'm thinking that this windex product may not be quite what it's advertised to be. I am however very impressed with the total ease of cleaning the entire ground floor in 15 minutes. Sadly, we have very hard water, so when rinsing, I'm thinking maybe there will be some mineral residue
left behind.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:32 pm

We have very hard water to our outside faucets. One wets down the windows with the Windex tool and then you spray with water from the hose. Easy peasy - no streaks and no residue! No wiping. Trust me - I was amazed!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:55 am

O.K. then, we'll give it a shot, thanks.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:50 am

CheenaGringo wrote:I rarely get excited by one of the new gimmick products but this one certainly earned my respect and attention! Now, we have a 10 foot wide and 12 foot high mirror that surrounds our fireplace and I would pay big bucks to find a solution to cleaning it and keeping it streak free. While the Windex system would probably do the trick, we can't exactly turn a hose on it to rinse it off.

Now there's a challenge.
How about building a reflecting pool on the floor surrounding the fireplace with a catch tray under the mirror emptying into the pool at the sides. Then, at the top of the mirror, you install a pipe with little holes to release the water flowing down the mirror. Now you have a "water feature" as well as a window cleaning device! cheers
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:29 pm

It may be a challenge but not one that we are willing to take on since we only lease the place. Now that we are looking for a larger townhouse to purchase, I can tell you that we would never purchase one with such a mirror feature! Since moving in here, I have probably spent a full day trying probably 30 to 50 different "miracle" mirror cleaners and it has never come out to my satisfaction! I have finally decided that it is what it is but we do have clean windows to let in all the natural light we desire. That reminds me, it is time to raise some of the summertime blinds and let in more light and heat for the colder months. But that lets in more direct sunlight to his the mirror and we get to see the streaks. Cannot win for losing!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down