INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Green Card" or Passport Travelling In Mexico

+5
brigitte
Gamina
ferret
mudgirl
Jubilacion
9 posters

Go down

"Green Card" or Passport Travelling In Mexico Empty "Green Card" or Passport Travelling In Mexico

Post by Jubilacion Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:23 pm

Seven months "new" to Mexico and Lakeside and with COVID we've done very little travel outside the area with just two 1-night trips to Mazamitla, and the other to Tequila. We just returned from a driving trip caravan with friends for 3 nights in Patzcuaro (which was beautiful by the way). One evening the topic came up and a comment about a problem on someones trip in an online post "....and can you believe they probably didn't have their passports either!" and some others agreed while my wife and I just looked at each other?

We had our valid Temporal picture green cards, do we also need to bring passports too? Why? We don't ask legal aliens with "green cards" to carry their passports in the States or Canada, do they make you do it here in Mexico?

Gracias! mariachi

Jubilacion
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Yes, please!

Back to top Go down

"Green Card" or Passport Travelling In Mexico Empty Re: "Green Card" or Passport Travelling In Mexico

Post by mudgirl Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:02 pm

No, you don't need to carry your passport with you, your residency card is sufficient. There are some times I have to show a passport, like when paying my bank trust in dollars.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

"Green Card" or Passport Travelling In Mexico Empty Re: "Green Card" or Passport Travelling In Mexico

Post by ferret Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:47 pm

I always take my passport with me... and my Residency card... and my drivers license.
Safer with me than sitting in my house.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

addtocart likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:43 pm

You don't need your passport in Mexico, only when you leave
Mexico for another country. If you insist on carrying your passport, carry a copy ONLY.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:47 pm

Jubilation, what the US require the aliens to do is irrelevant , we are in Mexico.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:28 pm

Okay, so when you leave your house, is your passport in a safe? There are no safety deposit boxes here. Shit happens but at least if I get mugged, I know what has been taken and can fix it immediately.
If your passport is just in a drawer somewhere, when was the last time that you checked to make sure it's still there?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:24 am

Should Americans in the US Marshals Federal Witness Protection Program carry their original passports or their new identity passports when traveling in Mexico? Asking for a friend..
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Jubilacion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:29 am

I only carry my Mexican drivers license. Never had a problem in 10 years.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Irish Gal and Jubilacion like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:39 am

When I travel in Mexico in addition to my Mexican visa I carry my US passport card. It would allow me to get in a US consulate in an emergency and I don't have to carry my passport. Passport cards are created to allow people to cross the border by ground. It is not good for air travel. Check with US consulate in Guad. for more info. They are not expensive like a passport.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

ferret and Jubilacion like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:42 am

kiko wrote:Should Americans in the US Marshals Federal Witness Protection Program carry their original passports or their new identity passports when traveling in Mexico?  Asking for a friend..

Stop talking about this it is not safe for your friend to do so.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:52 am

Canadians don't have Passport cards.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubilacion Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:57 am

Zedinmexico wrote:When I travel in Mexico in addition to my Mexican visa I carry my US passport card. It would allow me to get in a US consulate in an emergency and I don't have to carry my passport. Passport cards are created to allow people to cross the border by ground. It is not good for air travel. Check with US consulate in Guad. for more info. They are not expensive like a passport.

That may be a simple solution to bringing our Resident Cards, whether carrying a Passport is required or not, thanks! cheers

Jubilacion
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Yes, please!

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:25 am

Before I had a Mexican DL I carried my resident card.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Tday Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:49 am

I agree with you Bob, Mexican DL and resident card all you need to travel in Mexico. If crossing a border or flying to another country you will also need your Passport.

Tday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tday Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:53 am

I've never heard of a Passport Card ? Where do you get one ? Would be a little more handy .

Tday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:14 pm

Tday wrote:I've never heard of a Passport Card ? Where do you get one ? Would be a little more handy .

Reread my post I told where to get info on it.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:19 pm

ferret wrote:
If your passport is just in a drawer somewhere, when was the last time that you checked to make sure it's still there?

I don't have a safe, but I do have a safe place to hide such things where a thief would never think to look. And my house is fairly impenetrable. That's if they managed to make it past my 70 pound canine, who's an excellent watchdog.

I'd be more concerned about taking my passport with me when I go out and losing it.

I don't think passports are a big theft item on the average Mexican thief's list. They are interested in money, credit and debit cards, and small elecronics they can easily fence. Unless they are a professional ring of thieves, most wouldn't have the connections to be able to sell a passport.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Irish Gal, slainte39 and SunshineyDay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:15 pm

passports are worth a nice amount of money to some thieves. Especially US passports.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:19 pm

brigitte wrote:passports are worth a nice amount of money to some thieves. Especially US passports.

Yes, I'm sure there is good money to be made trafficking in stolen passports. I just don't think the average Mexican thief, most of whom are druggies looking for something to fence to the local drug dealer for their daily hit of whatever, have the kind of connections to be able to sell a passport to someone who would be in the passport altering business.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

slainte39 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:00 pm

An immigration agent told me about the US passport trafficking..at the time he told me they were worth 1000 dollars .. but I guess you have to know the right people and the little punk probably do not know.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down