INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Thread Titles

+7
Parker
hound dog
CheenaGringo
gringal
arbon
raqueteer
Chapalagringa
11 posters

Go down

Best Thread Titles Empty Best Thread Titles

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:31 am

We've all kidded around about thread titles and how to find the ordinary things in a foreign country, like cinnamon. This about takes the cake on TOB:

right now migel is bagging a mix of cow manure and horse manure across from coca cola

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=31003

It definitely grabbed my attention!

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Best Thread Titles Empty Re: Best Thread Titles

Post by raqueteer Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:57 am

That's a good one, however who will ever forget the two posts last week asking where to buy a decent nail file? I don't know about you, but I was on tenterhooks awaiting the response.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:12 am

Chapalagringa wrote:We've all kidded around about thread titles and how to find the ordinary things in a foreign country, like cinnamon. This about takes the cake on TOB:

right now migel is bagging a mix of cow manure and horse manure across from coca cola

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=31003

It definitely grabbed my attention!

¿Was that post for all the organic heirloom tomato growers Lakeside?
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:22 am

I liked the one asking what happened to the kids hawking the toilet paper rolls.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:24 am

¿Was that post for all the organic heirloom tomato growers Lakeside?

not from what I read but who knows. are you traderspoc over there? Regardless if it's for the tomatoes or not, it's a hilarious title! Bet your garden will smell sweet! We can go out and scoop up what we want in the streets! Never thought of mixing road apples w/cow pies!

One poster indicates to age it, like a good cheese.
Next poster says it makes a good tea!

Shocked

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:41 am

gringal wrote:I liked the one asking what happened to the kids hawking the toilet paper rolls.
That was a good one!

Over the years the subjects that have really stuck with me are:

1. Homemade Lemonade: making free lemonade from the condiments at the table, getting charged for a lemonade and then getting kicked out of the restaurant! (yes, it was completely frustrating experience for my neighbor but heck a funny thread! and really has made me think about what I'm doing when I mix my limon slices w/water from the carafon at the table. Especially since limonada is limon water. It does give a funny appearance in my perspective now.)

2. Artichokes: How/Why Mexican's Hate Artichokes....couldn't give em away, even to the homeless!

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:03 am

As a former administrator of another forum, I would make the following suggestions:
1) Clever post titles will generate the most activity
2) If you include keywords such as Lake Chapala, Chapala, Ajijic or other such descriptive words in your post title, it will benefit this forum a great deal because of the way search engines work. Think of the way that people do searches when making up a title. For example, if one posts about Hotel XYZ with no location mentioned, then the search engines will only pick up on the name but including the location, a search engine will not only pick up on the name but also the location. This will result in more possible new members and a higher ranking for the forum.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:24 am

I used to scoff at the how do I get to the border threads, uhhhh, buy a map and follow the major highways? However with so much happening on the roads these days, I have repented.

Well, at least Miguel has plenty more manure where that came from. My mother-in-law used to mix fresh manure in water so as not to burn the roses. Calling it tea might be slightly optimistic. Please don't mention cheese, it's my favorite food group.

On to artichokes, they take a lot of cooking, plus artery clogging sauce, so I actually can understand Mexican reluctance to buy them. Fast food they're not.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Artichoke are sold in medicinal stores in Chiapas to help out the liver.The local make a tea with them and drink it.
I buy them to eat them and a merchand asked me how to prepare them as her daughter had heard they could be eaten.
We have the same belief in France about being good for the liver but we nicely balance the effect with wine...
Many of us eat the arichoke raw. I love them that way but as they are very tannic, it is an acquire taste.
Brigitte
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Mexican artichokes have been ....uh....disappointing, to put it kindly.
For the good artichoke experience, buy some at Costco in the cold room. Expensive, but they had to come all the way from CA where they grow on the foggy central coast.

Cut off the stems and about a half inch off the tops. Put about a half inch of salted water in a microwave safe dish, cover, and put them in the water stem side up and give them about 7 minutes each in this altitude. If you want to go the hard way, cook about 45 minutes on the stove in water.
The end result is the same, IMO, except for the hot steamy kitchen doing it the hard way. Cool them awhile (those puppies really retain the heat). We eat them the way they are. For those who've never eaten one: Pull off the leaves one by one and scrape the inside bottom part off with your lower teeth. The rest of the leaf tastes awful. Others make a mayo or melted butter dip. Don't try to eat the fuzzy stuff deep down, but remove it with a blunt knife and eat the four or five delicious bites of the heart. Oh, yum!

The one mystery: I wonder how anyone figured out how to prepare and eat them in the first place? Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:
gringal wrote:I liked the one asking what happened to the kids hawking the toilet paper rolls.
That was a good one!

1. Homemade Lemonade: making free lemonade from the condiments at the table, getting charged for a lemonade and then getting kicked out of the restaurant! (yes, it was completely frustrating experience for my neighbor but heck a funny thread! and really has made me think about what I'm doing when I mix my limon slices w/water from the carafon at the table. Especially since limonada is limon water. It does give a funny appearance in my perspective now.)

2. Artichokes: How/Why Mexican's Hate Artichokes....couldn't give em away, even to the homeless!

Now this to me has been an extremely funny thread. “Thanks for the memories.” Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:26 pm

[quote="gringal"]Mexican artichokes have been ....uh....disappointing, to put it kindly.
For the good artichoke experience, buy some at Costco in the cold room. Expensive, but they had to come all the way from CA where they grow on the foggy central coast.

Well, Dawg cannot address the issue of the quality of "Mexican" artichokes versus Central Coastal California artichokes because I´ve never inquired, in Ajijic at least, as to the provenance of the artichokes I have purchased hereabouts. Now, the artichokes we purchase in the indigenous market adjacent to our home there are of the region and grown at high altitudes (say, 7,000 to 12,000 feet) and thay are exquisitely delicious - certainly far more delicious than those monsters grown upon the sea in Central California where the artichokes are huge and wooden and typical of produce coming from those parts. How sad that American consumers have identified their fat and wooden and tasteless artichokes as palatable when the exquisite but small and infinitely better French artichokes and the small and ugly artichokes of Mexico provide a taste far more sophisticated that those cardboard California mockups of real artichokes that flood the market because to the excesses of U.S. capitalism that encourage mediocrity.

Cutoff the stems and about that is good when a smallert a half inch off the tops. Put about a half inch of salted water in a microwave safe dish, cover, and put them in the water stem side up and give them about 7 minutes each in this altitude. If you want to go the hard way, cook about 45 minutes on the stove in water.
The end result is the same, IMO, except for the hot steamy kitchen doing it the hard way. Cool them awhile (those puppies really retain the heat). We eat them the way they are. For those who've never eaten one: Pull off the leaves one by one and scrape the inside bottom part off with your lower teeth. The rest of the leaf tastes awful. Others make a mayo or melted butter dip. Don't try to eat the fuzzy stuff deep down, but remove it with a blunt knife and eat the four or five delicious bites of the heart. Oh, yum!

Cut off the stems? Get serious. You are not selling artichokes to trailer trash in Davenport.

The Dawg has great recipes for artichokes. I´ll send them on later. Cut off the stems my ass.
quote]
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:40 pm

[quote="Chapalagringa"

1. Homemade Lemonade: making free lemonade from the condiments at the table, getting charged for a lemonade and then getting kicked out of the restaurant! (yes, it was completely frustrating experience for my neighbor but heck a funny thread! and really has made me think about what I'm doing when I mix my limon slices w/water from the carafon at the table. Especially since limonada is limon water. It does give a funny appearance in my perspective now.) [/quote]

This one really was priceless, so funny in so many ways. lol!
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:47 pm

I believe that was the same person who spent his free time while his wife was shopping at Super Lake, weighing packages to see just how much they were overstating the weight stated. Mainly on items that Super Lake broke down from larger packaging.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:57 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:I believe that was the same person who spent his free time while his wife was shopping at Super Lake, weighing packages to see just how much they were overstating the weight stated. Mainly on items that Super Lake broke down from larger packaging.

Yes, I believe you’re right. Hahaha!!! Very Happy Beer Beer Beer

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:05 pm

Good idea to cut the stems off your ass. You'll be much more comfortable.

Also, it would be nice to know your method of preparing said stems, along with directions to the local purveyor of French and Chiapas grown artichokes.

Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:27 pm

I agree, only remove about a quarter of an inch of stem. the stems are also delicious and cook along with the artichoke. Microwave, nooooooooooo, I do it the hard way. Then serve with a hollandaise sauce, or a mixture of butter and mayo, or just melted butter. Yummy.
Another good thing is cream of artichoke soup.
They can also be stuffed.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Is this thread about thread titles or thread content?

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:57 pm

I think it's a case of wandering thread.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Solovino wrote:Is this thread about thread titles or thread content?
yes, it's about the funny things people write, how they come across, whether they meant to or not. I've certainly had my moments.

I believe that was the same person who spent his free time while his wife was shopping at Super Lake, weighing packages to see just how much they were overstating the weight stated. Mainly on items that Super Lake broke down from larger packaging.
I don't know if it was but I do know the lemonade man and he's a really nice person. Has some one liners but hey, no one's perfect ;0) Think how much effort it took to entertain himself while his wife was happily shopping? That fact that he went with her says a lot about him. Kind of like the lady who likes to hang out in the tire shop!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:31 pm

LOL!...and never actually goes into the tire section which is usually in a building adjacent.

BTW, Chapalagringa...many Canadian Tire Stores are the same size as Home Depot.

Honestly, the thread heading that has been the strangest for me lately is on this board..."Lakeside Crime closing down due to lack of participation".

I realize the actual thread content is both important and sad...but read the title by itself...sorry but it cracked me up.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:40 pm

ferret wrote:LOL!...and never actually goes into the tire section which is usually in a building adjacent.

Honestly, the thread heading that has been the strangest for me lately is on this board..."Lakeside Crime closing down due to lack of participation".

I realize the actual thread content is both important and sad...but read the title by itself...sorry but it cracked me up.

And the winner Is, ferret. Hands down.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:42 pm

I'll second that. Best Thread Titles 169387 Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:07 pm

Oh... and speaking of artichokes... my horse loved nothing more than a nice fat thistle.
Maybe some Neanderthal noticed an equine ancestor nibbling upon a toothsome thistle or two. One might have escaped the basket and fallen into the fire... the rest might be, as they say... history. Ya think? Best Thread Titles 169387 Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:04 pm

ferret wrote:LOL!...and never actually goes into the tire section which is usually in a building adjacent.

I'm just teasing you ferret! I imagine it being like a huge Sears plus some. A lot of stores sell tires plus some. :)

Yes, Simpsca wins for titles on this board! cheers flag waver or does she??? wait! there's more! I'm voting for Jim's TOOOO FUNNY FOR WORDS! thread as far a content. As the story began to unfold and what he thought were the cops being good guys we learned the thread should have been put into the crime section! But we're all glad that mom & wifey made it back to their car and home safely after being taxi'd by the local police =) You're a good guy, I mean bird Jim. Sorry to see you move back NOB. Get us all a good neighbor! Probably one from Canada.

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down