INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

another 'building' question ... using some sort of a 'cement' looking solid brick

5 posters

Go down

another 'building' question ... using some sort of a 'cement' looking solid brick Empty another 'building' question ... using some sort of a 'cement' looking solid brick

Post by Sherman Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:14 pm

So far we have covered sheetrock (gym....whatever for the Canadians), and what mortar really is and more ...
One new builder states he uses the solid block that looks like cement.  I don't know the name of this stuff ... but the builder says it is lighter weight than regular red ladrio, and less chance of salitre (could it be true)?  It's good for insulation and noise reduction between rooms.

Comments, information, and/or experience with this stuff ... ??  Good, bad, otherwise?

As always, thanks for your expertise (skip the wisecracks)!

S. cheers

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Great sense of Humor!! I live here!!

Back to top Go down

another 'building' question ... using some sort of a 'cement' looking solid brick Empty Re: another 'building' question ... using some sort of a 'cement' looking solid brick

Post by gringal Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:03 am

Sherman wrote:So far we have covered sheetrock (gym....whatever for the Canadians), and what mortar really is and more ...
One new builder states he uses the solid block that looks like cement.  I don't know the name of this stuff ... but the builder says it is lighter weight than regular red ladrio, and less chance of salitre (could it be true)?  It's good for insulation and noise reduction between rooms.

Comments, information, and/or experience with this stuff ... ??  Good, bad, otherwise?

As always, thanks for your expertise (skip the wisecracks)!

S. cheers

I can't look at and feel what you're talking about, but I'm familiar with a light weight building material which uses perlite in the mixture along with cement.  This substance is created by heating certain volcanic sands in a furnace to over 2000 degrees F, at which time it "explodes" like popcorn. It's frequently used for insulation.  It's used in soil mixtures as well as other applications. This response is guaranteed to be wisecrack-free. (Tempting, though.)
Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

another 'building' question ... using some sort of a 'cement' looking solid brick Empty Re: another 'building' question ... using some sort of a 'cement' looking solid brick

Post by Sherman Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:58 am

That sounds like the building material ... now I'm interested in it's performance .... and if the performance is good, then why is it not used here more often? I'm guessing it may be more expensive than the red 'low fire' bricks?

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:25 am

Sherman wrote:That sounds like the building material  ...  now I'm interested in it's performance .... and if the performance is good, then why is it not used here more often?  I'm guessing it may be more expensive than the red 'low fire' bricks?

My information is not up to date, but yes, it probably is more expensive since the process of making it is more costly.  That furnace to make perlite eats money.  Performance? Senor Google has several articles on the subject. Here is one:
http://www.perlitecrete.com/

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:43 am

Fascinating material! Thanks for the link Gringal. And here I thought hempcrete was the next great thing but only as an insulating material. Perlitecrete does it all. And, considering its lack of weight may make second floor additions a possibility where traditional construction fails.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:24 am

ferret wrote:Fascinating material! Thanks for the link Gringal. And here I thought hempcrete was the next great thing but only as an insulating material. Perlitecrete does it all. And, considering its lack of weight may make second floor additions a possibility where traditional construction fails.

That might work for some of these older houses...like mine, which is traditional foundation-free.

Further interesting uses perlite has been put to:  animal feed and cake mix.  Fools critters into thinking they're getting more, but they might as well be eating air.  Cake mix:  Be an ingredient reader.  However, it's harmless enough...like eating puffy sand.  

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:45 am

so far, thanks ..... my guess is eventually someone will post who has used it in a house here. The contractor with whom I'm speaking has built several houses in the Chapala and Ajijic area using this materials.

Thanks Gringal ...

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:15 am

Sherman wrote:so far, thanks .....  my guess is eventually someone will post who has used it in a house here.  The contractor with whom I'm speaking has built several houses in the Chapala and Ajijic area using this materials.

Thanks Gringal ...
Can you arrange with your contractor to see the houses he's built and possibly check out the satisfaction level with the owners themselves?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:28 am

My guess is he is talking about tabicón de jal or block de jal. Solid cement bricks or blocks made using volcanic rock called jal (pumice). It is a very common material used here.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canmex 87 Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:15 am

I think that you are looking for Contec block (Contec building system).

Here is a link. They have a manufacturing plant in Monterrey Mexico.

http://www.concretocelular.com.mx/Concreto%20Celular%20de%20Occidente/Technical%20Manual%20-%20English/Chapter%201%20-%20Contec%20is%20AAC.pdf

There are several homes built with this system in the Lakeside area.

The architect using this system is Alain Signoret Martinez Guadalajara.

Canmex 87
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:28 am

This sounds more like what he's describing than the perlite product.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:36 pm

I'll run this info past the architect and builder ... thanks.
There's always more to learn in life than the number of years of have!!

S.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:50 pm

No kidding. Life is a never ending opportunity for learning. Wish I had a delete button though because some of it is now obsolete.
Live, love, laugh, learn.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:52 pm

ferret wrote:No kidding. Life is a never ending opportunity for learning. Wish I had a delete button though because some of it is now obsolete.
Live, love, laugh, learn.

If anyone develops a "delete" button, I'll line up for one, for more than one reason! Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:08 pm

The building product .... is Hebel. It used to be marketed under another name, but was bought out by Xella out of Australia. One manufacturing spot is Monterrey. On-line information is available. There's two offices in Guadalajara (same owner, Alejandro - if you want his telephone #, you can send me a PM). Also an office in Mexico City. Lots of on-line building information for Texas and surrounding southern states. I understand it's also available in Ontario. We thought we found someone locally with experience, and it turned out he was more (or all) talk rather than experience with the product or building. 6 months into the building, we separated him from the project and will not be using again, Arq. Ignacio (Nacho) Osuna Eskenazi.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down