INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Much Mexican Insurance Should I Purchase NOB?

4 posters

Go down

How Much Mexican Insurance Should I Purchase NOB? Empty How Much Mexican Insurance Should I Purchase NOB?

Post by TooMuchCoffee Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:28 pm

I'll be driving soon to Mexico using a residente temporal visa. I know I need to purchase Mexico insurance before crossing the border, but how much do I need to buy? Two weeks, more? I've heard that the insurance purchased at lakeside is cheaper than at the border. I plan to have my car here for about 2 years.

If I only buy 2 weeks insurance but then indicate to immigration on my TIP that I plan to have the car in Mexico for very much longer, will that cause a problem?

TooMuchCoffee
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

How Much Mexican Insurance Should I Purchase NOB? Empty Re: How Much Mexican Insurance Should I Purchase NOB?

Post by RickS Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:54 pm

As a Residente Temporal you can keep/have your TIP for as long as you maintain that visa status. One ‘renews’ it annually during their annual Temporal renewal (but you have to mention to them that you have a TIP.... it is not automatic with the Temporal renewal).

As far as Mexican vehicle insurance, your best pricing will probably come from an online source.... Lewis & Lewis is one and San Xavier is another. Both good and the latter maybe a bit cheaper for the same coverage. I seriously doubt that an Agent Lakeside will be able to beat their pricing. What you will find is that short-term costs (a few days or weeks) will approach the cost for 6 months. One can test this on the online website for each of these without clicking to ‘buy’.... or give one of them a call. The only ‘problem’ from your question above is that one doesn’t want to be in Mexico without insurance... otherwise the TIP people “don’t care and aren’t checking up on you” with regards to whether or not you have insurance.
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

How Much Mexican Insurance Should I Purchase NOB? Empty Re: How Much Mexican Insurance Should I Purchase NOB?

Post by Flamingo Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:21 pm

We used Lewis & Lewis until we bought a Mexican plated car and were very satisfied with both coverage and claim service.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 pm

To be clear, Lewis & Lewis et. al.  are merely ‘brokers’ for Mexican Insuarnace companies such as Qualitas, ATA etc. After the purchase one gets paperwork from whatever Mexican company was sold and all further service/communications/claims are with that company and NOT the US based broker (except maybe in rare cases when one may enlist their services to help with a stubborn claim - Insurance company!).
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by doc holiday Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:51 pm

What is your car worth and how much loss can you absorb. I used to go the cheap way.....liability but learned that full coverage is the best, in the long run, considering the difference in cost of liability and full coverage.

I try to do business locally and have always had good luck with Tio Corp. I have used Lewis and was always satisfied. But it is true that they sell the policy to a local underwriter as most do. Does not hurt to call the underwriter and make sure your policy is registered. I learned that the hard way.

doc holiday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down