INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese food

+6
Defarge
CanuckBob
gringal
slainte39
RVGRINGO
JayBear
10 posters

Go down

Chinese food Empty Chinese food

Post by JayBear Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:49 pm

I have a hankering. I AM making General Tso's chicken this weekend, but I miss the opportunity to go out (or better yet, take in) (Or better yet, order for delivery) Ye Old Chinese Take-Out, with egg rolls and fried rice and fortune cookies and chopsticks included.

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Chinese food Empty Re: Chinese food

Post by RVGRINGO Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:14 pm

Min Wah might enjoy your patronage, either in or out.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:31 pm

Pancho Villa shot all Chinese chefs on sight because one had raped his sister.
Hence, a shortage of good Chinese cuisine in Mexico.  A few good ones in Cd. de Mexico.
Suehiro in Guadalajara is the only, really good Asian (Japonese) restaurant in the area.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:44 pm

I understand that there's a fairly decent one in Joco.
No comment on Min Wah. Some must like it since they've been in business a long time.

I wish Pancho Villa had spared a few.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:10 am

There is a good one in San Blas too.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Defarge Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Surely one decent Chinese chef would have moved back after Pancho was assinated in 1923... I do miss decent Asian foods here.
Defarge
Defarge
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:19 pm

There is small town Chinese food in everywhere in the U.S.A. and Canada. General Tso chicken, chop suey, fortune cookies - none of which exist anywhere in China. Then there are restaurants trying to serve a taste of home - this is where Chopstix lies. But the ingredients are very hard to find in Mexico, and in my experience, the memories do not measure up to what is served there. The one in Jocotepec, lantern something, I have never been to, and is the small town Chinese food type. A friend who often goes there says each order is something like $6 for huge portion. She has enough to take home and feed for three days. I can't eat like that anymore. I always used to laugh at the "Chinese Smorgasbord" in Vancouver's Chinatown. The Marco Polo was a big success with tourists and gringo (aguilo) locals. So much so that the owner was able to build a ten storey office building in Chinatown. His family was safely housed in a suburb (North Vancouver) where they opened a second Marco Polo. This was all well under way when the old man checked out the building site, slipped on a patch of ice, and was dead immediately.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:22 pm

I would not bother with the one in Joco either.. It is interesting how difficult it is to find decent Chinese food in many places. In Chiapas the Soconusco has a old Chinese community that pretty much mixed with the Mexican population over the years and the food is awful, they have now new Chinese immigrants as well and the food is still awful..
They also so had Japanese immigrants but I guess they were no good cooks amongst them either..
Last year I checked out the Chinese food in the Lima, Peru Chinatown and that was terrible but in Lima they have a strong Asian influence in some of their nouvelle cuisine food and that is wonderful so go and figure..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Friends of mine were huge fans of Chinese food and it was part of the reason they booked a trip to China. Report: the food was awful.
You want good Chinese food?
1) Take a trip to California. You can slake your hunger all up and down the coast, culminating in San Francisco on Geary Street.
or
2) Get a cook book and go for it. Some spices aren't easy to find.
Be tenacious.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Just because you go to Asia does not mean you will have great food.. Some of the worst Chinese food I had wss in Singapore and Hong Kong but we also had great food.. It pays to be with a local who knows good places and tours are not the best way to go.
I have a nephew who lives in Bejing and another who goes to CHina in off the beaten place to work and both tell me that if you do not go with people who know how to order you can get pretty lousy food..Also some of the dishes that Chinese love can be pretty strange to us.. I cannot stand the black sauce dish that is served for New Year, hate the very fat thick bacon you encounter in some dishes.. do not care for sea cucumber and I have a long list of Chinese dishes I can do without.. Another one is never order dessert either.. This said you can have wonderful food as well..I remember being on some island and going into a restaurant where my husband refused to eat.. I had some of the best food I ever ate..you just never know..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:38 pm

I had General Tso Chicken in Jocotepec just last week, and it was quite good.
Got kinda hot as you got to the bottom with all the pepper seeds..., but thatz what The Green Tea is for :)

Located on main street just past Guadalajara Pharmacia
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Defarge wrote:Surely one decent Chinese chef would have moved back after Pancho was assinated in 1923... I do miss decent Asian foods here.

Up north around Parral  and Chihuahua, there were still enough "sightings" of the ghost of Villa in the 70's when I was there more often, to give any Chinese pause about settling in Very Happy  The closest Chinese restaurant was in Cd. Juarez and that guy knew exactly how long it would take him running to get to the El Paso side.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:30 am

hockables wrote:..................
Located on main street just past Guadalajara Pharmacia

It seems that everyone has forgotten the name: CHINA INN, as I recall.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:17 pm

Get yourself a good outdoor steel wok. On a flame or charcoal that gets real hot. All those delicious smells and sizzles will terrify you neighbours - but it is well worth it. Fast and healthy eating. A wok, on gas stove, indoors will be a maximum of 15,000 btus. The ones that Chinese restaurants use are up to 70,000 btus. Non-stick woks will lose their coating in no time. In Vancouver they sell "asian" range hoods, because the normal ones don't have enough horsepower to clear the smells and eventually your house takes on the odours.

I'm surprised that no one offers a wok catering service here. The caterer sets up their wok(s) and all the prepared ingredients are set out for guests to choose from. From their bowl, to the wok, to a nice plate, with or without rice. All tastes and appetites are satisfied.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:25 am

Years ago we stumbled on a Chinese restaurant in Zacatecas. Absolutely wonderful food. Up on the 3rd floor of an old converted house and the place was packed. Some of the best Chinese I've ever had.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down