INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gaucheria - San Antonio

+10
gringal
NanaG
RichD
CanuckBob
Lady Otter Latté
zenwoodle
Carry Bean
Trailrunner
slainte39
annied
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gaucheria - San Antonio - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaucheria - San Antonio

Post by NanaG Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:32 pm

gringal wrote:Back on topic:  Best chicken sandwich, regular chicken and now, a great dessert item made by the lady herself:  chocolate raspberry pie.  Tender crust.  Four of us shared a slice today with four spoons.  This is not to be missed.

Had lunch there today.  Never tried their desserts before, because I never usually had room, but today I saved half of my Che-Philly to take home so that I had room for their chocolate raspberry pie!  Absolutely delicious!

NanaG

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:28 am

NanaG wrote:
RichD wrote:Bob, I will never drive my full sized Ford van in that city again. With those parked so close to the intersections, not hitting them is impossible. I finally got to Adelita's Wednesday night for my son's sixteenth birthday celebration. MISTAKE! I will taxi in or walk from the carreterra next time.

I'm always amazed at how well the buses can get around in the village.  I ride them every day, and see the 'obstacle course' of cars, trash piles, and other things that they have to drive around.  That, and watching out for people waving the bus down, or children and dogs running across the street in front of them.  I wouldn't want their job!

The local buses are especially made for villages. They turn tighter than normal and as folks notice they are narrower than normal buses. The drivers are real good but after living on Zaragoza for three years they do pop mirrors off cars quite often. Trucks down by LCS pop a few also. If you park wrong or too far from curb say goodbye to your mirror. Its a sport. And now RichD knows why we drive so many Nissan March and Honda Fits in Ajijic and San Antonio. Can't say they are stylish but they work on the narrow cobbled streets like the buses.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:30 am

Back on topic. I had lunch at Gaucheria the other day based on these and other good reviews. Had the Che-Philly and it was a most delicious sandwich. Although I ate only half (and the wonderful potatoes) I had no room for dessert. Another time. Service was friendly and efficient even though they were busy. This place is well worth a try if you have not yet done so -- or a revisit if you have not been in a while.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:36 am

I have tried to park there for the last three days. Ya right! Someday maybe or I will just have to take a bus there and back.
RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:15 am

RichD wrote:I have tried to park there for the last three days. Ya right! Someday maybe or I will just have to take a bus there and back.

I park across the street where there is always a place to park.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:44 am

RichD wrote:I have tried to park there for the last three days. Ya right! Someday maybe or I will just have to take a bus there and back.
If I can't get a spot in front of them, I park on the street beside there.
But then again, I drive a Nissan March which fits in many more places than the SUV's Beer Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:35 pm

[quote="zenwoodle"]
RichD wrote:But then again, I drive a Nissan March which fits in many more places than the SUV's Beer Beer

Try a full sized Ford van.
RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:00 pm

I finally got a chance to eat there. Parked right in front too. It was 4:20 PM or so and there was no one there except me. The waitress was very courteous and helpful and she spoke English. She made me their version of a michelada and it was enjoyable, but spiced for northern taste buds.

I must be a redneck 'cause I have never eaten chimichurri  before, but that on some bread slices was alone worth the trip. I ordered the raved about Che-Philly, after she brought it I waved off the ketchup and mustard. The sandwich was fabulous with about the same oil content as poutine. I will order it again, but I will ask them to hold the mayo.

Took 1/3 the sandwich home for my son to try, the waitress threw in some chimichurri also. I ordered a slice of cheese cake to go and split it with the kid. It was the best I have had this side of the border.
RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:11 pm

Had lunch there today and tried the empanadas: one meat, one corn. Flaky crust, great filling. Substantial, and only 29 pesos each. What a treat!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:54 pm

That sounds amazing! Googled "chocolate raspberry pie" and came up with several distinctly different pies. I really want to make one... could you tell me more about it... how it looks?
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:59 pm

Pie crust on the bottom naturally, then a layer of fresh raspberries and a fudgy filling on top.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:09 pm

Carry Bean wrote:Pie crust on the bottom naturally, then a layer of fresh raspberries and a fudgy filling on top.  

Thanks ...I'll see if I can track it down.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:01 am

The raspberries don't seem to be mixed in a sauce, just placed under the chocolate filling

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:46 am

Carry, is the crust baked first and the filling put in after? Is the chocolate filling mousse style? (I know, I know. Just go eat a slice already!)
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:28 am

Must be a prebaked crust as the raspberries aren't cooked. Her crust is probably the best I've tasted in a restaurant here Lakeside. Well worth taking a slice home to eat later.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:59 pm

I finally got around to trying this place. Excellent! A very late "lunch" around 3:30pm, so upgraded to my big meal for the day - the "Lomito" tenderloin steak, the version with what they call "sauce" on the menu rather than "natural" (sauce was some sauteed onions, mushrooms, and maybe a bit of the excellent chimichurri). Delicious. Came with a small side salad and choice of second side for only $135. Plus the provided garlic bread, chimi, chips and salsa. Wow! Look forward to picking my way through the other items on the menu. And I LOVE that it's a small menu. Keep it simple, do them well. Yeah!

Based on today's experience I will try the pie someday. Chocolate pie doesn't interest me, but the raspberries give it hope.

Question re the Che Philly: Is there mayo mixed into the sandwich ingredients in the kitchen? It's the one thing I didn't like about the unfortunately already gone City Sandwich Philly.

Last edited by Rosa Venus on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:05 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:Question re the Che Philly: Is there mayo mixed into the sandwich ingredients in the kitchen?

I sure didn't order or add mayo, so they must have. I do not know if the mayo was layered or mixed, I will go without it next time.
RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:09 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:I finally got around to trying this place. Excellent! A very late "lunch" around 3:30pm, so upgraded to my big meal for the day - the "Lomito" tenderloin steak, the version with what they call "sauce" on the menu rather than "natural" (sauce was some sauteed onions, mushrooms, and maybe a bit of the excellent chimichurri). Delicious. Came with a small side salad and choice of second side for only $135. Plus the provided garlic bread, chimi, chips and salsa. Wow! Look forward to picking my way through the other items on the menu. And I LOVE that it's a small menu. Keep it simple, do them well. Yeah!

Based on today's experience I will try the pie someday. Chocolate pie doesn't interest me, but the raspberries give it hope.

Question re the Che Philly: Is there mayo mixed into the sandwich ingredients in the kitchen? It's the one thing I didn't like about the unfortunately already gone City Sandwich Philly.

I've never noticed or tasted mayo in the Che-Philly.  I thought it was only meat, melted white cheese (maybe that's what some are thinking is mayo), onion and green pepper.  Maybe I'm wrong, but whatever they put in it, it is very good!

I guess the best way to find out is to ask them next time any of us order the sandwich!

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:25 am

I have the Che Philly almost every time i am in there and never has ther been mayo in the sandwich. Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:53 am

suegarn wrote:I thought it was only meat, melted white cheese (maybe that's what some are thinking is mayo)...

That might have been it, ma'am.
RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:20 am

I agree, Sue and Zen. I detected nothing I would designate mayonnaise but it was melty, messy and unbelievably delicious. Huuuummmm. Guess I better go eat another one in the interest of scientific research. To complete the experiment I will need to also order a slice of that chocolate raspberry pie -- most likely to go.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:11 am

Four of us had lunch there yesterday. One ordered their special steak (lomito?), another the hamburger steak and the third; arrachera. (I had cheese and mushroom empanadas)
Each of the steaks were declared outstanding in flavor and texture. I had a sample of the hamburger steak and can attest to that one. Homecut fries and barbequed veggies. Very reasonable prices.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:53 pm

I am going back for the major purpose of telling the waitress my Jimmy Carter thoughts of her. What a sweety!

RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:59 am

[quote="RichD"]I am going back for the major purpose of telling the waitress my Jimmy Carter thoughts of her. What a sweety!

Yes, she's a real sweetie. Her husband the cook is a friendly guy, too.

Yesterday, we tried one of those mysterious Uruguayan sandwiches with a long list of ingredients. Delicious, but humungous. Strictly for big mouths and large appetites. After sharing one of those, there was no room for chocolate raspberry pie. Dang.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Today there was no school and because I needed to do a Superlake run, I thought I would take my boy for a treat and eat at La Gaucheria. My son and I decided to split a Che-Philly and a burger. When I ordered the sandwich the waitress immediately asked, "Hold the mayo, right?" I was taken aback that she knew, but quickly remembered I had said that is the way I would try it next time. I then asked her if they did in fact add mayo to their normal sandwiches, but the waitress said yes and added that it was as a base to their special sauce. I asked her what else was in that sauce and was politely told it was a trade secret. I settled for a light on the sauce sandwich. I will admit that the next time it will be as the restaurant wants to serve it as the second was not as good as the first.
RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:43 pm

RichD wrote:Today there was no school and because I needed to do a Superlake run, I thought I would take my boy for a treat and eat at La Gaucheria. My son and I decided to split a Che-Philly and a burger. When I ordered the sandwich the waitress immediately asked, "Hold the mayo, right?" I was taken aback that she knew, but quickly remembered I had said that is the way I would try it next time. I then asked her if they did in fact add mayo to their normal sandwiches, but the waitress said yes and added that it was as a base to their special sauce. I asked her what else was in that sauce and was politely told it was a trade secret. I settled for a light on the sauce sandwich. I will admit that the next time it will be as the restaurant wants to serve it as the second was not as good as the first.

That sauce is not "diet food" but it's a winner!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2