INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cannot fly out of country if you have a vehicle here on a TIP??

+9
hockables
helohfe
hbdoss1
RicoSuave
RVGRINGO
DaveP
Intercasa
sparks
CanuckBob
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cannot fly out of country if you have a vehicle here on a TIP?? Empty Cannot fly out of country if you have a vehicle here on a TIP??

Post by CanuckBob Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:44 am

I was out for dinner with a newly arrived friend from the US who is getting a Temporary Visa. He says he was told by Chapala Law that since he brought a vehicle here on a TIP that he can never fly out of the country for a vacation or to visit family back home as that would be considered "abandoning the vehicle here" and he would be stopped at the airport and heavily fined. This is apparently a fairly new issue.

Is this true Spencer or has there been a misunderstanding??

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Cannot fly out of country if you have a vehicle here on a TIP?? Empty Re: Cannot fly out of country if you have a vehicle here on a TIP??

Post by sparks Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:59 am

The TIP is tied to your FMM and I assume always has been

Don't know what to do with a 30 day FMM marked CANJE
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Cannot fly out of country if you have a vehicle here on a TIP?? Empty Re: Cannot fly out of country if you have a vehicle here on a TIP??

Post by CanuckBob Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:07 am

I know that but I have never heard that people here on a temporary visa and a TIP car could not fly out for vacation.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:18 am

No, sounds like they misunderstood or something. Doesnt sound like anything I would say.    If car is legally here and person has a temp then should not be a problem. Maybe it was presented as a different situation but as explained here shouldnt be an issue.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:20 am

OK, thanks Spencer. Your office is currently working on their visa's. Perhaps Denise told them something. I will have them ask you about it again.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:45 pm

If visas in process they need a travel letter, if you fly out without travel letter they can cancel your process and car is illegal.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:56 am

I have always understood that people here on a FMM cannot leave their vehicle here and fly out to another country as the vehicle then becomes illegal (it is tied to the FMM). So what visa is your friend here on Bob?

If it is as Spencer says it is OK but if he is here on a FMM maybe it is not.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:51 am

FMM, visitante: Tourist permit. Cannot leave without taking car out too.

Tramite: In progress for a change of immigration status. Stay put or get INM permission to leave and return for a limited time in an emergency.

Residente Temporal: Temporary residence visa 1-4 years. may come and go freely, with or without your foreign plated car.

Residente Permanente: Permanent residence visa. May not own or drive a foreign plated car, with certain strict exceptions.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RicoSuave Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:40 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:FMM, visitante: Tourist permit. Cannot leave without taking car out too.

Source, please? Many people, including an obvious Mexican lawyer disagree. No flame intended.
RicoSuave
RicoSuave

Humor : Cerebral

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:23 am

Well, you can, but you may not, since your TIP expires when your FMM becomes invalid upon your departure.
Most get away with it, but an accident could make it obvous & then the trouble can begin.....maybe starting with invalidated insurance coverage for a car that is illegal in Mexico.
No problem for a Residente Temporal visa holder, who can come and go at will. Somebody may have been confused between FMM Visitante and Residente Temporal Visa conditions.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RicoSuave Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:36 am

My bet RVG is that the incident stated by the OP was a mordida hunt. How better to pressure you, right or wrong, when a slight delay will cost the loss of your airfare?
RicoSuave
RicoSuave

Humor : Cerebral

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:43 am

RicoSuave wrote:My bet RVG is that the incident stated by the OP was a mordida hunt. How better to pressure you, right or wrong, when a slight delay will cost the loss of your airfare?

Either that, or the guy did not know the difference. Many border agents or INM newbies are poorly informed and assume all gringos are tourists.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Cannot fly out of country if you have a vehicle here on a TIP?? Empty Flew out in May without TIP vehicle succesfully, plus related question

Post by hbdoss1 Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi,

I had a tourist visa and left my TIP vehicle in Ajijic to return home, and had no questions at GDL. I discovered that I needed to remove the vehicle within the 6 month limit, so I flew back to Ajijic and drove it to Houston for storage until this fall's return. The question is: I spoke with the authorities in Mexico City on another matter, and they told me that I could NOT return with the same vehicle within a 12 month period. This strikes me as odd, since many snowbirds would be doing exactly that. I had thought to get the TIP early, but maybe taking the risk at Laredo in the fall would be wiser than going the more 'official' route?

hbdoss1

Back to top Go down

Post by helohfe Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:53 pm

What Spencer stated is fact...If one is here on an FMM and not applying for Temp. or Perm. you can fly out and back in without an issue,maybe not the LETTER of the law. but I did it 10-20 times over the years before getting my Perm..Never an issue as all you have to have when eventually ( within the 6 months of the issuance of your your TIP) is your TIP to turn in to get your deposit back.

helohfe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:44 pm

One things fer sure...

If'n yer car is in Mexico more than the 180 days on your original Visa... you ain't gett'n your deposit back.
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:28 pm

All interesting information but still no answer do the OP's question.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by rjf1943 Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:43 am

For Spencer: I am here on a FMM and my vehicle has a TIP and both expire in October 2018. I have a medical situation and need to fly back to Canada for surgery. I will leave my vehicle here until my return in a few weeks.
Is my vehicle legal while I am gone and who is allowed to drive it? Will I have any problems at GDL airport?
Will I need some sort of permission letter?
Seems to me I just need to turn my FMM in to the airline??
Thanks.
rjf1943
rjf1943

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:48 pm

Your car will be illegal and should not be driven, as I undeerstand it. Spencer can confirm that.
You will probably have no problems at the airport.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:34 pm

Its tricky as when you come back nobody will know except you aduana and God but if there was an issue you would have an FMM from flying in and one different from the TIP and if there was a crash or car impounded then problems could arise. No clear answers
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Ok.....here's shot in the dark.......how about if he keeps his current FMM but says he lost it and gets a new one at the airport INM office for $500 pesos. He uses the new one to fly out and still has the old one that matches the TIP in his possession.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:44 pm

That could avoid some potential issues
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rjf1943 Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks RVGRINGO, Canuck Bob and Intercasa.  All great information.

However, my situation has changed.  I will either drive out soon or have surgery here, so no need to worry about the TIP and FMM.  Will turn in both of them when I drive out........whenever that will be........probably this Saturday as insurance company will pay my travel expenses to get back to Canada.  They will not pay for surgery here as they consider my condition to be stable and no longer an emergency............BASTARDS
rjf1943
rjf1943

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:27 am

Drive carefully, and get well soon.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by caligirl108 Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:44 pm

CanuckBob is correct - the unfortunate loss of the FFM visa & granting of a replacement for $530p @ GDL works.. Original visa & TIP must match & within 180 days to get deposit back. Less than kosher, so S can't really respond..

caligirl108
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rjf1943 Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:25 am

RVGRINGO wrote:Drive carefully, and get well soon.

THANKS
rjf1943
rjf1943

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next