INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post surgery

+5
Zea
gringal
CanuckBob
lunateak
Bajabrady
9 posters

Go down

Post surgery Empty Post surgery

Post by Bajabrady Thu May 26, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm going to have surgery on my shoulder. I'm single in the house except for a dog. I'll probably need help with daily life activities probably three no more than four days. Can someone give me an idea with personal experience of how much they paid for any similar situation? I definitely don't want to pay too little and paying too much will just cause problems...
Thanks in advance

Bajabrady
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Keep it Clean :)

Back to top Go down

Post surgery Empty Re: Post surgery

Post by lunateak Thu May 26, 2016 1:14 pm

Contact Rony - elbelgicano is his screen name - on this board for references and approximate rates.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 26, 2016 1:16 pm

Didn't Rony move back to Belgium to be a flight attendant again?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 26, 2016 1:46 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Didn't Rony move back to Belgium to be a flight attendant again?

Recently he posted on TOB that he is back here again.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Bajabrady Thu May 26, 2016 1:54 pm

Maybe if somebody has some information regarding the question that'd be great. I'm not trying to find Ronnie. Just get an average price or maybe someone who had a similar experience.
Thanks in advance

Bajabrady
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Thu May 26, 2016 2:06 pm

I got this information from Rony some time ago regarding live-in care. I don't know how current it may be.

Let me first share with you my opinion.

1) First of all, in this very family orientated society, it will be extremely difficult to find a live in caregiver and if you do find one that on top of it all. speaks English, it will be like winning the lottery.
Only 10 % of the caregivers here speak some English.

2) Ofcourse, you will have to add a few other things to the above, like being reliable, honest, pleasant personality, being able to cook.

3) And .... you would need more than one, because you could not expect someone to be there without a break or holiday.  Also, that way, you will have an extra person in case the other one gets sick or doesn't show.

4) Taking into account all that, you could be lucky to find another expat to be willing to do the job, but they will want more money, and I only know about Mexican wages, working normal shifts.

An alternative is to have in total 4 people working, filling all the day and night shifts, but not necessarily living there.
The lowest price would be 250 pesos for one day shift (from 9 am to 6 pm) and another one from 6 pm until the next morning (300 pesos for the night shift, since it is 15 hours, but with possiblity to sleep or rest).
There will also be Christmas bonusses, Sun and holiday extras and possibly social security.

This is just to give you an idea.  If you ask 10 different people, you will get 10 different answers.  This is my experience in the 4 years that I have been doing the employment project.
Although there is a lot of unemployment, it is very hard to find the right people.

Sorry that I could not bring you more positive news, but it is what it is.   Expectations from expats looking to hire, are often unrealistically high and they often start the relationship employer/employee without realizing what is ahead.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 26, 2016 2:15 pm

There is a place where nursing help can be hired, according to the ads on their vehicle parked outside. The storefront is in the same strip as the Miller Depot liquor store. The strip is adjacent to El Serape restaurant in Ajijic.

Not the same as live-in care, but could serve the purpose while needed.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Bajabrady Thu May 26, 2016 2:17 pm

That's great info! Thanks! It definitely gives me something to think about. It might be worth my time and money to stay in the hospital until I can at least pull up my pants. Then hire someone under the table for a few days after. for eight hour shift. If under the table isn't possible I could have a temp contract written up. I'm new with Mexican labor laws and usually hired and fired at will. I'm from California and have experience in under the table labor but I have to remember this is Mexico with Mexican law applied.
Thanks you gave me a lot to think about

Bajabrady
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zea Thu May 26, 2016 2:23 pm

Another possibility is to stay in an assisted living place for a few days after surgery. I know people that have stayed at La Casa Nostra post-surgery and loved it.

Zea

Back to top Go down

Post by Bajabrady Thu May 26, 2016 2:25 pm

Another great idea! I really appreciate the input. It's not the surgery I'm concerned about but the after care and doing any damage that really gets me worried

Bajabrady
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Thu May 26, 2016 11:28 pm

As long as you have your dog taken care of, I would check the many Assisted Living and Nursing Homes in the area. I know people who have used Mi Casita in STA and really liked it. You have 24 hour experienced care-givers, meals and a comfortable attractive place to hang out.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri May 27, 2016 7:36 am

I would suggest that you might not be as incapacitated as you might be expecting. Of course you won't be using that arm for a little while and you will want to judiciously guard against falling, but other than that if you prepare well you might be able to be home with a little help from your friends and neighbors. Perhaps they can bring some meals, walk the dog, and be on call for any mishaps that might need tending to. You can make meals up ahead and store in the freezer for zapping later. Put a chair in the shower for better balance while bathing, get a bunch of videos and books and snacks stocked up, and ask your doc to make follow-up house calls.

You won't be able to drive but engage with a taxi or friends to help you get out of the house and run errands while in recovery.

If all that fails, I agree that staying in an assisted living place for a little while would be a good move. I like Mi Casita in San Antonio, Ohana in San Juan Cosala, probably any of Alicia's places in La Floresta would be just fine. . .

Good luck with your surgery.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri May 27, 2016 8:26 am

Oh, and what about your maid? Can she do a little double duty? Cooking, bathing, etc.

I would avoid bringing a stranger (caregiver) into your home while you are recovering.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri May 27, 2016 9:59 am

I would avoid having my maid give me bath too........ Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri May 27, 2016 10:29 am

HAHAHA Very good point. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Fri May 27, 2016 11:28 am

If the surgery involves the bones and/or muscles, I assume that the OP will need help dressing, bathing and using the toilet unless he just stays at home naked for about six weeks for healing and some time thereafter for regaining mobility and strength in the shoulder. A friend in Tucson, who fell and really smashed his shoulder joint into many pieces, is in that situation now. He was quite helpless and unable to move much at all for some time.
However, the OP did say that the surgery was planned and he thought that he might need help for only a few days, indicating a rather simple or superficial procedure. If that is true, then options for a friend or maid to help might be more reasonable. I do think Rony would be his best source for a recommendation if he cannot arrange care for his dog and a short stay at an assisted living facility.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandol Fri May 27, 2016 9:41 pm

Gringal is suggesting Lidia's Nursing Station. Lidia and her nurses are first-rate and you can have 24 hour service for as long as you want.

Bandol
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bajabrady Fri May 27, 2016 9:58 pm

Thanks for everyone's input and staying on topic. I have a few options to consider now.. As tempting as having my cleaning lady bath me, I'll probably go with a professional nursing service with once a day visit and experience in changing bandages, looking for infection and keeping the wound clean. The dog can go a week without walks. For gods sake she is a dog!

Bajabrady
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down