INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When Colon was closed during Easter

+4
Rosa Venus
Lady Otter Latté
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
8 posters

Go down

When Colon was closed during Easter Empty When Colon was closed during Easter

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:46 am

I thought it was a great idea to close Colon off to vehicular traffic on a few days during Easter. The restaurant's and bars brought tables out onto the street. It was a great atmosphere. I think they should do this every weekend.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

When Colon was closed during Easter Empty Re: When Colon was closed during Easter

Post by Trailrunner Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:53 am

I agree!
We spent Easter Sunday down there and on the malecon and it was really fun.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

When Colon was closed during Easter Empty Re: When Colon was closed during Easter

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:57 am

Great idea!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:42 am

We should get Harry to present the idea to the dellegado. I certainly think the businesses would like it. I have 3 friend's that own businesses on Colon. I'm going to talk with them about it.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:00 am

Maybe you can get some of those musicians and bands back again too!

Tell them traffic can flow normally to Ocampo/Constitución but close it off from there south. It's only a block or 2. Suerte.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:11 am

Either that or close it from the Plaza to the waterfront but leave the cross streets open so cars can cross over Colon on any given block. Either way, I think this is an idea that we should all get behind. If anyone else knows a business owner on Colon please go talk with them about it. I would love to hear some more feedback on it, particularly any cons.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:13 am

Perhaps someone can also post a link to this thread on TOB.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:19 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Perhaps someone can also post a link to this thread on TOB.

Well, that won't be me! lol

I think closing it at Ocampo is better for traffic, that way it gives cars 2 ways out, right on Hidalgo or left on Ocampo. If you close it at the plaza there's only one way out.

We weren't there into the night, where the tables and bands out in the evening too? Was it crowded? We were there most of the afternoon and there really were not many people sitting at the tables. Mostly standing and milling around. Not sure you would need that extra block closed.

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:03 pm

I work in one of the offices on one of the blocks that was closed. The only "downside" I can think of is some businesses in that stretch will complain because clients and customers can't park right in front of the establishment, or even be dropped off in front while the driver goes in search or parking - happens all weekend afternoon in front of Tango. Parking is already at a premium in the central area, and taking away two entire blocks on "main street" is removing a lot. Still, I like the idea also. I was working in the office one of the days the street was closed and pedestrian only. Makes the area seem festive and more inviting. If it's good for the town, it's good for everybody.

That said, I'm not sure every weekend is justified. I think it's a great idea during holiday times or puentes though. I agree that Ocampo/Constitución probably makes the most sense as the cut-off, for the very same reason.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:20 pm

They need to officially open up parking in the lot beside the pier. Entry from Ramon Corona.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:24 pm

Put detour signs up to direct people around Colon.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by miendo Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:55 pm

I was down there on Easter Sunday night and the tables and street and malecon were packed.  I think it is a great idea to close off the street. Parking would have to be addressed since marcos castellanos and cinco de mayo go the wrong way to access the public parking.

Last edited by miendo on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Did not want to quote)
miendo
miendo

Humor : Plenty

http://www.AjijicNews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Is that road along the front of the malecon from Moreno to Colon considered a two way (it is certainly wide enough)? If so, the parking lot beside the pier could be accessed from that side too if traffic is diverted to come down Moreno and along the waterfront. You would just need traffic control as they pass in front of the steps to the pier.

When Colon was closed during Easter Parkin11
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:43 pm

Yes, CBob, that street is two way. Also, we were talking to the owner (?) of Maria Isabel, and the restaurants very much want the closure. Certainly as an experiment it makes sense, and, perhaps, seasonally.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:43 pm

I also think holidays and special occasions would be better than every weekend.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:19 am

Lots of holidays in Mexico. How about once a month to coincide with holidays. Make it a weekend street festival with entertainment, children activities, and keep the vending space for local businesses.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down