INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going home

+15
slainte39
CanuckBob
gringal
Carry Bean
jrm30655
Canada_Mike
motherofburros
Zedinmexico
Ojalero
Playaboy
Luisa
Lady Otter Latté
Trailrunner
David
hogline
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Going home - Page 2 Empty Re: Going home

Post by David Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:46 pm

We enjoy all 4 seasons here. No need to go NOB with all its craziness. It's all good here, some is better.

David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:18 am

Carry Bean wrote:  So don't you patronize US.

Going home - Page 2 851398
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Carry Bean wrote:I wouldn't care to have a home anywhere else at all.  I came from the Virgin Islands & the traffic there can be awful, especially on the day that 11 cruise ships came.

Nobody said anything nasty & some of us CAN afford two homes but choose not to.  We're all not poor & stuck here because we can't afford to go elsewhere, motherofburros.  So don't you patronize US.

I can afford two homes.....somewhere...but not in San Francisco or the best part of Monterey Bay (lol). Neither have I felt "stuck" here. I wouldn't mind skipping the month of May ....but otherwise, it's all good, all year.

I don't think the burromama meant any harm in her post, though.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:54 pm

Ditto......we are certainly not "stuck" here either. Far from it.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:49 pm

OK: Carry's words were not meant for me. I cried for nothing! Sorry - Cary. I have almost four weeks left, and, trust me, I'm very torn.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:37 pm

I didn't realize you were just a snowbird, thought you were going to be a full-timer.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:50 pm

I will save Mike the time:

"Just" a snowbird?  Going home - Page 2 851398
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:22 pm

hee hee Thank you.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:24 pm

Me too. Thx.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Going home - Page 2 Empty Only if you price it right?

Post by Playaboy Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:54 am

CanuckBob wrote:Ditto......we are certainly not "stuck" here either. Far from it.

Cbob, you never know if you are "stuck" until you have to sell. Verdad?

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:38 am

I don't have to sell in order to leave. I don't have all my eggs in one basket. If I did have to sell I would price it according to the current market conditions. Failure to sell indicates it is priced too high and/or in an undesirable location.

Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:48 am

CanuckBob wrote:I don't have to sell in order to leave. I don't have all my eggs in one basket. If I did have to sell I would price it according to the current market conditions. Failure to sell indicates it is priced too high and/or in an undesirable location.

Beer

Well said and ditto, especially about price and location.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:15 am

Playaboy is like the bitter ex who claims he is happy with his new love/location but cyber stalks the old one for every bit of news and makes bitter comments about the one he swears he does not care at all about. Oh, and everyone who still hangs out with the old love is stupid, because look how happy he is now that he has moved on! scratch
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:52 am

gringal wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:I don't have to sell in order to leave. I don't have all my eggs in one basket. If I did have to sell I would price it according to the current market conditions. Failure to sell indicates it is priced too high and/or in an undesirable location.

Beer

Well said and ditto, especially about price and location.
Beer

I do feel for those who put everything they had into their home here when prices were much higher and then are forced to sell due to health or unhappiness.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:09 am

I met a couple years ago, whom I shared a dinner table with in Ajijic, who had arrived that day. They were ecstatic and proclaimed they had just bought a beautiful house. I asked them what made them buy a house in a place where they had only arrived a few hours before, and she said. . ."IT HAS LIME TREES!"
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:34 am

In the same vein......

Years ago, there was a Korean lady who bought a house in La Floresta on her first trip here (she said she had no intentions of buying at first), because when she walked into the garden of this house, there were many beautiful obeliscos (hibiscus), the national flower of Korea.

You never know what might trip a trigger.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:57 am

Well one had better be damn sure if they dump everything they have into a place here. I'm not even that sure..........jaja. Always best to maintain an exit strategy.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:30 pm

You're quite right. It would be a horrible position to be in.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:54 pm

That's what I like about renting. If and/or when I have to leave Lakeside (hoping that won't be for a very long time), I won't have to worry about having to sell a home at a time that might not be optimal for the ROI.

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:12 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Playaboy is like the bitter ex who claims he is happy with his new love/location but cyber stalks the old one for every bit of news and makes bitter comments about the one he swears he does not care at all about. Oh, and everyone who still hangs out with the old love is stupid, because look how happy he is now that he has moved on! scratch

I wish I was able to own a home in NYC, London, Paris, Mexico City, Tokyo, Cancun, and Chapala.  Jet set around the planet.  I am stuck with a Caribbean beach palapa and a Lakeview home in Chapala.

Thanks to all that offered their vast experiences regarding the RE market.  I had 3 properties on the RE market this high season (sold 1), a home sale in 2013, and partnering in successfully flipping 2 Chapala properties in 2005-06 all since moving to MX.  Silly me, I didn’t know it was about “price and location”.

I have a house in Chapala.  I love Chapala. I have visited a couple of times a year for over a decade.  I plan to continue that even though my lifelong friend’s cancer caught up with him last year.  We used to joke that his moving to “God’s Waiting Room” was the best thing he ever did and how living Lakeside added years to his life.

Cbob, luckily I don’t have to sell, I want to sell.  I know exactly what the market value of my Chapala house is.  I had a couple of offers this year and turn them down.  I can wait for my price.

I too know folks that have everything invested here, then life throws that nasty curve and they have to sell.  It can be devastating being “stuck” with a property in this kind of buyers market.  

There are also others, many of them female, who never were able to afford to purchase a home.  They are truly “stuck” as inflation eats their retirement.  They constantly move from house to house chasing “cheaper” rents while accumulating more fur babies.  These are the true “warm and cheaps” of Lakeside.  These are the ones that I truly feel sorry for.

That brings me to you LadyO.  You never met me.  I was never bitter; I was just bored living there.  You just assumed things about me, so I will return the favor.  I think you are part of the last group, with 3 or more fur babies, constantly moving, looking for the better deal.  You need to constantly defend your choice of where you retired.  Insecure?  Bitterness, look in the mirror.  Life in “God’s Waiting Room” is a constant struggle for you. Hopefully you won’t have to struggle too much longer.

Even though you are one of the biggest posters on the local boards, with an opinion on everything, I will continue posting whenever I want.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:34 pm

Gee, and I mistakenly "thought" you were bitter. My bad. I wonder where I got that idea? Huh. No clue.
I could point out all the ways in which you are wrong about me, but I do not care what strangers on a web board think about me. So, hold on to that story you created and use it to sooth your obviously bruised ego.
I look forward to seeing your cheery, joyful comments about the Lakeside you love. I appear to have been missing them.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:58 pm

IMHO, making assumptions about people you've never met is setting yourself to be shown as foolish.

Recently, someone responded to a poster and wound up with suggesting the other poster "needed to get out more". I know the person in question, and she is in a profession requiring extensive "getting out"; knows all of Mexico, is fluent in Spanish and has lived here for years. Just one example of making assumptions.

I know just enough about Lady O to be reasonably sure that Playaboy is WAY off the mark in his assessment.

On another subject, there are flaws in either choice: renting or buying.
If you need to sell in a hurry, it can be a bad thing. If your landlord decides to boot you from your rental, that can be the pitts, too.
There is no perfect situation.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:50 pm

Once upon a time, you could own a house for a couple of years and make a profit when you sold. Those days are long gone, but if you plan to stay a decade or so, it is still worth buying and having the security of ownership. If you plan to stay forever, definitely buy a house but if you have heirs, it might be wise to brief them on their need to secure their inherited property ASAP when you expire.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:48 am

RVGRINGO wrote:Once upon a time, you could own a house for a couple of years and make a profit when you sold. Those days are long gone, but if you plan to stay a decade or so, it is still worth buying and having the security of ownership. If you plan to stay forever, definitely buy a house but if you have heirs, it might be wise to brief them on their need to secure their inherited property ASAP when you expire.

Not true. I bought 2 spec homes in Mexico last October, fixed them up, sold and closed one for a profit in January. Good deal for me and good deal for the buyers.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:27 am

gringal wrote:

Recently, someone responded to a poster and wound up with suggesting the other poster "needed to get out more".  I know the person in question, and she is in a profession requiring extensive "getting out"; knows all of Mexico, is fluent in Spanish and has lived here for years.  Just one example of making assumptions.
If the poster you're referring to is who I think it is she was flat out dead wrong about the topic of Mexican birth certificates.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:58 am

viajero wrote:
gringal wrote:

Recently, someone responded to a poster and wound up with suggesting the other poster "needed to get out more".  I know the person in question, and she is in a profession requiring extensive "getting out"; knows all of Mexico, is fluent in Spanish and has lived here for years.  Just one example of making assumptions.
If the poster you're referring to is who I think it is she was flat out dead wrong about the topic of Mexican birth certificates.
Which one was wrong ? The one saying the other should get out more?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next