INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trip's Burger

+22
Lady Otter Latté
gringal
DaveP
Canada_Mike
Zedinmexico
viajero
benjji
Trailrunner
WDBarr
Chapalagringa
David
lunateak
hickton
TioBob
Kiri
elgringo
slainte39
borderreiver
CanuckBob
Intercasa
Gamina
Ms.Thang
26 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Trip's Burger Empty Trip's Burger

Post by Ms.Thang Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:28 pm

I tried out Trip's Burger in Laguna mall yesterday, it was pretty good. I nearly cried with joy when I discovered a Bimbo bun was not involved in the deal. Those Bimbo buns taste really sweet to me but this little toasted potato bun beauty was perfect. I happen to like a thinnish hamburger patty on my burger as opposed to a thick one and that's what this burger had. All of the veggies were nice and fresh. It comes with a special sauce that I think I will pass on next time, I just prefer a squirt of mustard. The french fries were very good too.

There were 9 people working behind the counter...9! He must be training or something. Hours are from 12 to 6:00, closed Monday and Tuesday.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Trip's Burger Empty Re: Trip's Burger

Post by gringal Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:56 pm

Hate to be such a naysayer since I was looking forward to his opening, but compared to other places (who don't serve a Bimbo nasty sweet bun), Trip's is way down the list in terms of price to value ratio.

Yesterday's burger at Perry's was their more expensive (75 pesos)burger. They have a smaller one at 55 pesos, which would suit my appetite better. However, at 75 pesos, the extra special had: very good meat, non-Bimbo bun, all the fixings, add-your-own sauce with mayo, mustard and Heinz ketchup and a special salt on the table, 2 onion rings (perfectly cooked) and a big pile of good fries.

To get fries with Trip's double burger (little bitty patties), you'd need to pay 100 pesos.
That's come serious competition. Trip's needs to work on that, IMO.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:27 pm

Given his location, I don't think his current prices will factor in with most of his customers...it is a fast food joint in a mall, after all. I don't remember how much it cost, but I was o.k. with whatever it was.
I think he plans on being open late somewhere down the road, that would be another plus.

I wouldn't say the patty was itty bitty at all..the bun was smaller than some and there wasn't a bunch of bread hanging off the sides but I liked that. The meat was delicious. There were way more fries than I could eat, certainly enough for two. It would be nice to be able to order a smaller serving.

Gotta say I loved the packaging too, styrofoam makes me cringe. My purger came wrapped in paper in a cardboard sleeve and everything was put into a brown paper bag.

Trip seems to be very serious about putting out a consistent, quality product in a sparkling clean environment. I'm sure it isn't easy training so many young, green employees all at the same time, like herding cats I imagine. I hope he succeeds.

I haven't tried Perry's yet but when I do it will be for the pizza. I have heard Perry does everything well .

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:14 pm

I was disappointed with the small burger. The meat was about 2.5 inches across with almost an inch of bun beyond the meat. Really couldn't taste the meat there was so little of it. Too many fries; I saw lots of fries in the garbage because the serving is just too large. Serve a smaller serving of fries and a large meat patty and he'd come out ahead, actually. No need to double wrap the burger, although I understand why he does it. Save money here and there can make it possible to serve a larger patty of meat.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Well to me it is all about memories. Growing up in the valley in Los Angeles and eating In and Out Burger. I miss the taste and the price might make some not go or go less frequently but for me the taste is worth it, I am taking my wife on Sunday although she hasnt been to In and Out.

If it is all about saving money you can grill your own. Sometimes we just miss the sights, smells and flavors that we grew up with and dont have here.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:44 pm

Yep, I always grab a Johnny Rocket burger after clearing security at the GDL airport.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:09 pm

Intercasa wrote:Well to me it is all about memories.  Growing up in the valley in Los Angeles and eating In and Out Burger.  I miss the taste and the price might make some not go or go less frequently but for me the taste is worth it, I am taking my wife on Sunday although she hasnt been to In and Out.  

If it is all about saving money you can grill your own.  Sometimes we just miss the sights, smells and flavors that we grew up with and dont have here.  

It's not about "saving" the money. That not worth caring about except to mention that he's way off re the competition.

The big thing is that it's one very, very far cry from the In ad Out burgers I used to enjoy in Southern CA. Those were outstanding for fast food. I do miss those flavors. This doesn't even bear comparison, IMHO.

Just my opinion, of course. We all eat, so we're all food critics, and this critic was very disappointed after all the hype I read on TOB.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:11 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Yep, I always grab a Johnny Rocket burger after clearing security at the GDL airport.

Now THERE is one superb burger. cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:51 pm

And "johnny Rocket" burger immediately reminds you of what shit is going to cost you NOB. That and a "starbucks" really gives you that NOB feel. $ ouch.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:17 am

gringal wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Yep, I always grab a Johnny Rocket burger after clearing security at the GDL airport.

Now THERE is one superb burger. cheers

You two got it right....not even in the same ballpark.  No matter the price, JR is a better value, just not convenient for lakesiders.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by elgringo Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:55 am

I felt that the burger at Trip's was ok but that the meat was too small. Great flavor just over priced for the product served.
elgringo
elgringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:26 am

elgringo wrote:I felt that the burger at Trip's was ok but that the meat was too small. Great flavor just over priced for the product served.

Ordered the "double"; the patties had a closer resemblance to the Host at Sunday Mass than a quarter pounder. Once to try, but never again. Definitely NOT as shown below...

Trip's Burger 12065723_1015943925094540_3195448293148827959_n
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:45 am

I look forward to trying Trip's burgers for myself and seeing where it falls in my listing of lakeside burgers. There sure has been a mix of opinions.
I remember the wide range of opinions about Alex's Pasta Bar. People were loving it while others hated it. It took me a while to try it myself and I am solidly in the "Love It" camp. So, you never know until you try it yourself.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by TioBob Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:11 am

I agree one should try food for themselves. Everyone has an individual palate. Try a restaurant for the sense of adventure. That way you won't be hurting a small businesses reputation.
TioBob
TioBob

Humor : Leg pulling

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:37 am

I have always wondered why MacDonald's and BK don't have a presence around the lake. MacDonald's would make a killing if they put an express outlet in those alcoves in the entrance to WalMart like they do NOB. Is there some municipal bylaws forbidding them?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:51 am

kiri. artistic licence mate..the taste was ok, but chips paley waley. and the burgers not at all as shown. typical american junk food !!

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by TioBob Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:12 am

CanuckBob wrote:I have always wondered why MacDonald's and BK don't have a presence around the lake. MacDonald's would make a killing if they put an express outlet in those alcoves in the entrance to WalMart like they do NOB. Is there some municipal bylaws forbidding them?

I'm sure they would do well, however they would contribute to the obesity rate as they do NOB. Sometimes we need to be protected from ourselves. I miss BK and Carl's Junior but I'm weak like most and am better off without the temptation.
TioBob
TioBob

Humor : Leg pulling

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:19 am

The initial cost of the franchise added to the ongoing cost of importing only franchise approved food and material may have something to do with the scarcity of fast food chains. That and the low cost of "real" food available locally.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:04 am

Here's a salute to the non-chain restaurants who turn out a healthy, substantial and tasty burger !  They are here in Lakeside and there's no good reason to long for the McD and BK brand, any more than longing for a few other things of our past...........like flat paved streets. Rolling Eyes

As a picky eater with an easily upset stomach, my favorites are:  Arileo's with a side of sweet potato fries, Cocinart lamburger (or beef burger) with the little red potatoes fried in olive oil, Gossips with the side salad; Perry's; Bruno's, Tony's on a good day and probably more you all can add who have no connection to anyone outside their own kitchens.

When I first moved to Lakeside, there wasn't a lot of choice for dining out, and I am delighted to see how much that's changed.
Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:29 am

thats a great selection, would add tabarka. no chain restaurants here please..flat pavements and less cobbles would be useful.

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:49 am

I must have hit Tony's on one of the not-good days. Very disappointing.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:55 pm

lunateak wrote:The initial cost of the franchise added to the ongoing cost of importing only franchise approved food and material may have something to do with the scarcity of fast food chains. That and the low cost of "real" food available locally.

All McDonald's, BK, KFC, etc. are a)locally owned, and b) source their ingredients locally. They do not import.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:17 pm

David wrote:
lunateak wrote:The initial cost of the franchise added to the ongoing cost of importing only franchise approved food and material may have something to do with the scarcity of fast food chains. That and the low cost of "real" food available locally.

All McDonald's, BK, KFC, etc.  are a)locally owned, and b) source their ingredients locally.  They do not import.

But, don't they have to pay to have the franchise name?

Even so, I believe in supporting our locals, and I forgot a good one there, too: El Serape. Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:31 pm

Yes, they do have to pay a franchise fee and do everything the way the company trains them to do. Local variations are allowed, e.g. in Japan at BK, an McDonald's one can get a Teriyaki burger!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:55 pm

for a franchise of this type, you need big bucks, approved location and most importantly enough people in the surrounding area to support it. demographics..not enough round here, thank god.
anyway on thursady mr tripp was pretty busy, with attentive staff, and no franchizing costs, so good luck to him.

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next