INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mail and Banking for new residents

+12
pamarie
CanuckBob
sampati
slainte39
Intercasa
Rubia
zenwoodle
Gamina
RVGRINGO
gringal
Pedro
MyrnaMinkoff
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mail and Banking for new residents - Page 2 Empty Re: Mail and Banking for new residents

Post by gringal Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:16 pm

CanuckBob wrote:It's just a matter of time before all these institutions are linked with immigration and they will be advised once you are out of the country after so many months. Address or no address they will deem you a non resident and cut you off. They are starting to do this with the Canadian Provincial Medical Services for those that try to "fool the system" with an address in Canada. I imagine the banks in the US won't be far behind.

The banks are galloping quickly.  Friends of ours who are the solidest of citizens, like us, just got "the letter" from their U.S. bank, to their shock and sorrow.  They are scrambling.  Like us, their official address was a tiny dwelling in a Texas mail box.

Since no sensible person should put a large sum in a Mexican uninsured account, here's what we did, for what it's worth:

When we got the letter, we had about 6 weeks to change our SS direct deposit.  Since we couldn't open a new U.S. bank account, we first opened a checking account at the local Actinver bank.  (No other type of investment account.)  Then, we contacted the SS office in Guadalajara and persuaded the clerk to handle our change of address to where we really live in Mexico, by email. (Otherwise, you need to go to Guadalajara early and WAIT. )  Four pages of information are required, which include to which bank you want your money direct deposited.  We then went to Actinver and they filled out the form to accept the deposit and sent it to SS.

Result:  Got our next checks on time, and all we have to do is go to the bank window, fill out a slip and we are handed pesos.
Been doing this over a year.  We are careful to keep the balance in the bank low.  We've received our money in the account promptly and had no problems, so far.  Hopefully, the bank won't fold.
(We already had an account at Banamex Mexico, but were understandably pizzed at Banamex USA, so didn't use them.)

Other solution suggestions are welcome.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Mail and Banking for new residents - Page 2 Empty Re: Mail and Banking for new residents

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:09 pm

Hello All,

Oh my goodness...   this talk has become extremely interesting and valuable!  Thank you for sharing the details!  I had no idea an American with a long standing bank acount, could have their account shut down if living abroad.  And the very idea that one must have a US address to open a new bank account in the US makes me feel like we all have less freedoms than we've been led to think we do!  

So am I right to understand that eventually the US will make it impossible for us to receive our social security checks if we choose to enjoy living elsewhere?

Back in my 20's I was a commuting flight attendant.  I lived in California and worked out of the Memphis, Tennessee base for what was at the time Republic and then Northwest Airlines.  For a good while, a bunch of the commuters, both flight attendants and pilots shared an apartment near the airport (kind of like the TV show with John Goodman:  Alpha House).  So I am thinking...   who all wants to share a place in Tucson???  Or Laredo???   It could work...   sort of like a timeshare, but just a cheap little 2 bedroom apartment split several ways....   have a few simple house rules, and then we can help each other with bringing back supplies, etc.   Am I putting the horse before the cart?  LOL...   jajajaja  (I loved seeing Canuck Bob's version of ha ha ha the other day)!!!

mariachi
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:27 pm

MyrnaMinkoff wrote:Hello All,

Oh my goodness...   this talk has become extremely interesting and valuable!  Thank you for sharing the details!  I had no idea an American with a long standing bank acount, could have their account shut down if living abroad.  And the very idea that one must have a US address to open a new bank account in the US makes me feel like we all have less freedoms than we've been led to think we do!  

So am I right to understand that eventually the US will make it impossible for us to receive our social security checks if we choose to enjoy living elsewhere?

Back in my 20's I was a commuting flight attendant.  I lived in California and worked out of the Memphis, Tennessee base for what was at the time Republic and then Northwest Airlines.  For a good while, a bunch of the commuters, both flight attendants and pilots shared an apartment near the airport (kind of like the TV show with John Goodman:  Alpha House).  So I am thinking...   who all wants to share a place in Tucson???  Or Laredo???   It could work...   sort of like a timeshare, but just a cheap little 2 bedroom apartment split several ways....   have a few simple house rules, and then we can help each other with bringing back supplies, etc.   Am I putting the horse before the cart?  LOL...   jajajaja  (I loved seeing Canuck Bob's version of ha ha ha the other day)!!!

mariachi

Relax, Myrna. I have heard no inkling that our SS checks will be withheld if we live abroad. We earned those benefits; we are owed them, and I doubt there is any thought of withholding them.

Some folks here have one foot in the U. S. and the other in Mexico, ready to flee "home" for any reason. Others are "home" right here and intend to stay for the long haul. I hope you find a good life here among the happy expats.

The bureaucratic glitches are just something to deal with, and as I pointed out in my previous post, CAN be dealt with.
So.......no worries. Come on down. Ignore the panic spreaders.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Ahhh!!! I can breathe again! Thanks Gringal !!! I am really ready for my new life at Lakeside!!!

Oh, but I'm all out of smileys!!! Can we import our own smilies into our messages??

;-)))

MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:38 pm

MyrnaMinkoff wrote:Ahhh!!!   I can breathe again!  Thanks Gringal !!!   I am really ready for my new life at Lakeside!!!

Oh, but I'm all out of smileys!!!   Can we import our own smilies into our messages??

;-)))

Good to hear, and welcome!
flag waver

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:03 pm

I just moved here from Oregon and my bank First Tech Credit Union had no issues with me keeping my savings account with them and using my ATM card down here. I did keep a US address for my banking communications because I felt it is faster for me to get that mail that way and safer. Fortunately I have a dear friend that is letting me use her address, however my bank knows that I live in Mexico. I don't have any problems with my banking or so far with fidelity Investments accounts. They will not reimburse me for atm fees nor would Schaub that many recommend on here. When I called Schaub sorry if misspelling it, they said they don't reimburse for ATM fees either if you are not actually living in the US. Now maybe some folks withhold the fact that they are living in Mexico, but it won't take any type of banking firm to eventually catch up to the fact that all the withdraws are happening in Mexico if they review it per chance. So it's a risk to not tell the bank the truth in my opinion.

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:40 pm

our banking address for scotiabank accounts in canada is our postal[mailing] address here in chapala. we get new credit cards/atm cards sent here among other things. this is our address and our bank doesn't care that it's in mexico for any reason. when we travel out of mexico we tell them. we can even phone our own branch using vonage if we need to instead of the main scotia #. we have always received our mail-no problema. life can be so easy and simple if you let it be so.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:45 pm

Until such time that the Canadian banks follow suit with some of the US banks. That being one must be a resident of said country to have a bank account. I certainly wouldnt recommend for anyone to give up an address in their home country if they can avoid doing so. This one may catch up with you senor pedro.

Lets hope not........ Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:00 pm

I'd like to get un-confused about the Schwab accounts.  Others have said they like that they get reimbursed for any ATM fees.  I'm looking into the International checking account and would be giving them my Mexican address with a mailing address for statements, etc., as a P.O. box in Laredo, TX.  From the material I've been getting, it looks like we would get reimbursed for ATM fees.  PaMarie posted that one wouldn't, if we lived outside of the U.S.

Anyone who has this kind of account:  please offer information.  Suspect

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:11 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Until such time that the Canadian banks follow suit with some of the US banks. That being one must be a resident of said country to have a bank account. I certainly wouldnt recommend for anyone to give up an address in their home country if they can avoid doing so. This one may catch up with you senor pedro.

Lets hope not........ Beer
9 years and counting. as a ferner ya can't do it but since we did our due diligence before we moved it is what it is
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:22 pm

I talked with them and told them I lived most of the time in MX and they said, "no problem." I maintain a US address and a US bank account.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:53 pm

I too have them. Also maintain a US address. They know I spend a lot of time in Mexico.
No problems works very well. I concur with CBob don't give up address in home country.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by holdrja Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:09 am

We maintain a US checking acocunt (Chase), US investment accounts (Schwab and Fidelity) and a local Bancomer checking account.

I am very happy with our Bancomer account here - it automatically pays my CFE and Telmex bills which otherwise could be a major pain when out of country.
When I need cash (pesos), I can get up to 7500 pesos from the ATM; if I want more cash, I go to a teller. I don't have any checks, just a debit card. I deposit US funds into Bancomer with a check drawn on my US bank -- takes 2 weeks to clear, and if the check is for $5k USD or more, I get a better exchange rate.

Wire transfers also work well and are credited immediately (unlike Actinver, where you have to get someone to personally go look for your transfer and put it into your account; remind me that I have to get around to closing our Actinver account) -- but there are fees for both sending and receiving a wire transfer, so why bother?

We don't get our SS direct deposited to Bancomer as I don't want to go through the annual hassle of filling out a form for SS to know that I am still alive.

We tried to get my husband's pension direct-deposited to Bancomer, but the bank issuing the pension refuses to direct deposit into any bank outside of the US. Go figure.

We've used HandyMail mail forwarding and local Texas address for years now and are happy with their services. All of our US-based bank, investment and credit card accounts have the HandyMail Laredo address as our mailing address and there have been no problems with that. Altho I worry a little when it comes to receiving a new credit card - no basis for this, I'm just a worry wart.
holdrja
holdrja
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rdplakechapala.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 am

juanrey wrote:I too have them. Also maintain a US address. They know I spend a lot of time in Mexico.
No problems works very well.   I concur with CBob don't give up address in home country.

Uh....I moved to Mexico over ten years ago. Since I sold the property in the U.S., I sort of had to "give up" the address.

My question about the fees was in the hopes that some other person on here admits that they live in Mexico and are dealing with Schwab. Anyone out there? Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:58 pm

I can tell you the Schwab rep I spoke to when I was looking into banking through an investment firm they told me if you live in Mexico for more than 6 months no matter if you go back to visit in the States for a week or month, or own property there but truly don't live at that address, they will not reimburse ATM fees charged for use in Mexico. If you tell them that you are a permanent resident in Mexico, and only go back to the US to visit family or friends they will not reimburse you for ATM fees charged here. If you established an account before moving here, and just tell them you will be traveling in Mexico throughout the year and then move here and keep a US address through a relative or friend or if you own property in the states but don't tell them this when you set up your account you can pull it off as I don't believe they are monitoring all their investment clients. But in my case I was researching ways to handle my funds upon moving and living here permanently. I'm by far no expert on the subject but both Fidelity and Schwab said they would not reimburse me for ATM fees and they in fact charge a percentage for International fees when you withdraw funds from an ATM here. Its 1%.

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:33 am

Thank you. I guess that's that.
Hope you're feeling better soon.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:18 am

Thx gringal...I'm definitely healing but its a long road to get there! I'm just lucky I didn't end up in the hospital! I came to Mexico to get healthy, and can't wait till I am so I can get out in about to become more involved in the community and enjoy this gorgeous area! I want to swim and get into being retired here. Once I get a car it will be so much better to get around for me! I hope to buy a MX plated car come December....

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:30 am

pamarie wrote:Thx gringal...I'm definitely healing but its a long road to get there!  I'm just lucky I didn't end up in the hospital!  I came to Mexico to get healthy, and can't wait till I am so I can get out in about to become more involved in the community and enjoy this gorgeous area!  I want to swim and get into being retired here.  Once I get a car it will be so much better to get around for me!  I hope to buy a MX plated car come December....

Meanwhile, we have excellent bus service all over the area. Runs frequently. If you want to rent a car before December, a fellow named Mark Turford is a reliable person that many have used. Cell: 045 333 398 9045. Price depends on what you rent.
Bear in mind that Mexican driving is based on telepathy and being unusually alert in all six directions. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:01 pm

Gringal thanks for the suggestions on the bus and car rental. Unfortunately riding the bus isn't really an option for me right now between my knees and the weakness in my legs to lift my very large body up onto that first big step just won't work for me:( A car is the only solutions in reality for my situation...eventually. Until than I am very blessed with living so close to everything and having amazing friends here that are helping me get around in the meantime. My daughter wanted me to look into having drivers as an option because one of her dearest friends did that in Mexico City, but it was very cheap there. I think it would be much more expensive here. I may have an option for this through a wonderful Mexico native to Ajijic who I spoke to about it today. He knows everyone here and my landlord has known him since moving here some 5 years ago or so. He is very kind, trustworthy and a great person. Many gringos here use him for all sorts of things! He will help me buy a good used car when the time comes that I am ready to. Renting a car would be great if I want to travel around the Lake though until I do get a car of my own. I have also noticed that Mexican driving requires excellent defensive driving indeed! One has to go slowly to avoid getting in an accident between the animals, scooters, motorcycles and vehicles coming out in various directions, never mind the pedestrians selling their goods, standing on the edge of the sidewalks or walking along the side of the road. But I'm fine with that...I'm in no rush to go anywhere! LOL!!

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:11 pm

The taxis aren't too costly.  Figure about $5 US for a ride to most places (?)
Somebody with more experience can probably come up with a more accurate figure.

I know what you mean about the first step on the buses. Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:27 pm

$5 is very cheap!

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:52 pm

50 pesos will get you from Soriana to Super Lake =/-, by taxi. It is really cheap transportation.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:20 pm

Jim W wrote:50 pesos will get you from Soriana to Super Lake =/-, by taxi.   It is really cheap transportation.  

I didn't know they'd go that far for so little. Good to know. Well, Pamarie.............there you go! Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2