INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good easy to install router for Telecable internet?

3 posters

Go down

Good easy to install router for Telecable internet? Empty Good easy to install router for Telecable internet?

Post by Grizzy Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:49 pm

After a six month battle with telmex over billing mistakes I am done. I am going to have telecable install internet only. I understand I will need a wireless router to use wifi. Any suggestions on a good simple to install one? I am willing to go to Guad for one.
I have a Linksys RE 1000 wireless-N range extender. Never used. I don't think this would work as a stand alone router. Is it worthwhile buying a compatible router to use with it?
It has been years since I have had to mess with a router and am rusty on the technology. I also remember them as being a pita so a simple to set up router would really make me happy.
Thanks!
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Good easy to install router for Telecable internet? Empty Re: Good easy to install router for Telecable internet?

Post by Ezzie Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:02 am

Wouldn't Telecable supply the router? I would think it would need to be a DOCSIS compatible router and not the typical ADSL router that Telmex would use.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Good easy to install router for Telecable internet? Empty Re: Good easy to install router for Telecable internet?

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:04 am

I have internet only from Telecable. They will supply you with a router but no wifi unlike Telmex DSL. I just plugged in a three antenna DLINK router with wifi into the Telecable router. No programming it worked out of the box. You can buy bigger and varied antenna NOB so I would buy a router with removable antenna if you have a distance or thick wall problem. I use 9db Asus 12" antenna plugged into where the short stubby antenna are. You can also buy corner load wifi antenna that take the 360 degree signal and turns it into a 90 degree signal by loading the antenna in a corner of the room kinda like a cornerhorn speaker. I also bought antenna extention cords. I have two foot thick walls and the corner antenna punches right thru.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:30 pm

Sorry Zed you lost me after three antenna D-link. I haven't had issues with the telmex wifi so I assume the D-link would be sufficient?
Thanks for posting. I worded the original post badly. What I want is wifi, wasn't thinking but of course they will supply a router.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:46 pm

Three Antenna Dlink is a router with wifi built in. Any wifi router will do the job. I like external antenna is all I am saying. Your Telmex DSL wifi/router had internal wifi antenna. Sorry for confusion. Just plug in any wifi router to the Telecable box with a standard lan cable and you will be fine. Much cheaper than renting wifi unit from Telecable.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks Zed. Can a three antennae dlink be purchased at Best Buy or Costco in Guad?
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:42 am

Probably. The external antenna allow you to move them around to put the signal where you want it but you don't need it unless you have special reception situations.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:57 pm

Gracias.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down