INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving Household Items into Mexico

+14
Gamina
suegarn
Flamingo
gringal
Luisa
Mainecoons
Hensley
zenwoodle
sampati
RVGRINGO
CanuckBob
Lady Otter Latté
Halfglass
Pedro
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Moving Household Items into Mexico - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving Household Items into Mexico

Post by tictoc Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:23 pm

I sent you a PM. Depending on logistics, we might be able to work together...

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Moving Household Items into Mexico - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving Household Items into Mexico

Post by gringal Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:00 pm

When we did our move from CA, we started with North American to the border; Seymi to our SMA location. Had everything crated; packed it ourselves.  Stored at the border for over a month and everything went smoothly.  Crating is a good way to go since it's not going to be mixed up with others' stuff.

Damn expensive move, but when it was unpacked, we had enough "old friends" surrounding  us that it provided some comfort in a foreign land.

Don't discount that factor when people suggest getting rid of everything and starting over with all new stuff.  This is especially true if you have some well loved family heirlooms. I don't mean grandma's couch and giant glassware cabinet. I'm talking about smaller stuff. I can't see trying to duplicate a "traditional" U.S. home. We're not there anymore.  Somewhere in the middle made sense to us.  We acquired a goodly collection of Mexican furnishings after the move.  Armoires, etc. The blend worked.

However, I know people who started with nothing more than a suitcase, and that worked for them. Choices.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by OldLars Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi, All --

Hopping onto this thread to pose another question or three.

We're going to be flying down from Canada with two bags and one cat each on a 6-month tourist visa. (We'll probably need to cycle through tourist visas a couple of times before we can get temporal or permanente.) But we'll be shipping/moving down a small apartment's worth of additional clothing, small electronics, music equipment, a few books and CDs, some small kitchen utensils and applicances, a bike and some golf clubs, and that's literally it. We're bringing no furniture at all.

Question #1: We've been quoted over US$7,000 for this move by a Mexican moving company, which includes inventory and packing and the usual fees (though not extras like elevators and stairs). This is based on an (admittedly sight-unseen) estimate of 1,750 pounds, which is in turn based on a form I filled out on their website. Does that price for that amount of cargo sound like it's in the right ballpark?

Question #2: On customs forms when entering Canada or the US, there's a question, "Are you bringing in any additional unaccompanied goods?" Is there such a question on the Mexican customs form, or on the temporary visa (I know I've filled them out twice but I don't remember)? If so, does it raise any eyebrows if we say Yes?

Question #3: Would it make sense for me to take question #2 to one of the suggested movers mentioned up-thread? Or is that really outside their scope?

Thanks, as always, for any input.

-- Old Lars

OldLars

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:25 pm

By cycling through tourist permits, do you mean that you will be planning to leave Mexico every 180 days, which you will be required to do?
If you plan to reside in Mexico, you will need at least a Residente Temporal Visa, which is renewable in Mexico for 4 years, before you will become Residente Permanente. If your finances are high enough, you may be able to get the Permanente from the start. Apply at the Mexican Consulate in your home country within 6 months of entering Mexico.
On stuff: ship as little as possible. It is very expensive and Mexico has everything you will need.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:00 pm

Sounds like you have more questions than the ones that you are asking.
Strom White handled the move of our personal effects from Canada (some 48 boxes) very efficiently and expensively.
If I had it to do over, I would go the same route. No headaches, no hassles, and we were able to travel on our own schedule.
It was necessary at that time, to have an FM3 to do what we did, so I do not think that tourist visas are what you really want.
I suggest that you talk to Spencer, and Strom White before you proceed too much further.
PM me if you want any more specifics. Beer Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfglass Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi,
Thought I would put an up date on my moving plans.
I did get quote from all three of the movers that were mentioned in the reply's.
Again THANKS
It looks like I will have to haul my stuff to Laredo, where it would be put into a warehouse and from there It would be picked up by the moving company and brought the rest of the way.
The least expensive quote I got was around 3,000.00.
Well I am working with a customs broker to see if it is possible to import my truck in to Mexico and save the hassle of un loading and shipping from Laredo.
There may be an issue with the dual rear wheels on the one ton, if that is the case I can swap out for single wide load tires and wheels.
I will keep everyone posted on my findings.

Halfglass
Halfglass
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:03 am

Dual axles and commercial sized trucks cannot be imported by individuals, as I understand it.  For the last five months, nothing has been imported by individuals and there is no information to indicate when, if ever, it will be possible again, and what age the vehicles must be.
I would not plan on importin/nationalizing any vehicle permanently. If you have a tourist permit or a Residente Temporal visa, you may bring in a personal vehicle on an Importada Temporal, paying the fee and deposit.

Last edited by RVGRINGO on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:15 am

Other than commercial agreements with trucking companies, I had thought that these vehicles were prohibited. Not allowed on a TIP. No?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:16 am

A Residente Permanente RV?  Well maybe, if a family member is with you that isn't a RP.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:19 am

I think that is the case. Many years ago, I saw a dually in Ajijic and it could not navigate the narrow streets without causing traffic jams. I have not seen one since then.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:20 am

slainte39 wrote:A Residente Permanente RV?  Well maybe, if a family member is with you that isn't a RP.

Oops! My fingers got ahead of my brain. Thanks for catching that. I have corrected the post.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:49 pm

I think we are discussing commercial type vehicles here, not RV's. Completely different.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:06 pm

Slainte was referring to me, not a recreational vehicle.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Moving Household Items into Mexico - Page 2 Empty Followed up with Strom-White

Post by OldLars Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:40 pm

Okay, I heard from Strom-White, and Teresa there was very helpful. The upshot is that coming in on a tourist visa means that we can only bring what we can carry onto an airplane, or transport by private vehicle. So we are divesting ourselves of just about everything, bringing only the three C's: clothes, computers, and cats. Any keepsakes that we just can't bring ourselves to part with will remain in storage NOB for the time being.

If the timing were a bit different, we would easily qualify for a temporal or permanente, but the logistics are what they are (a long story). We'll just have to make our way up to the border after six months. Thanks for your insights, Everyone!

OldLars

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2