INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Cuban and United States relationships: How will it affect Mexico?

+11
CanuckBob
Lady Otter Latté
windrider17
arbon
hueco_negro
Jim W
itsme
hockables
Pedro
David
papa chango
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Cuban and United States relationships: How will it affect Mexico? Empty New Cuban and United States relationships: How will it affect Mexico?

Post by papa chango Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:26 am

My guess is that in the short term Mexico will not fare well with the new situation because of United States citizens may choose to spend their travel funds in Cuba rather than in Mexico.

What do you think?

Surte
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

New Cuban and United States relationships: How will it affect Mexico? Empty Re: New Cuban and United States relationships: How will it affect Mexico?

Post by Pedro Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:43 am

merkin tourists have been allowed to go to cuba fer quite some time and usually fly to habana from miami. nothing new really, is it.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New Cuban and United States relationships: How will it affect Mexico? Empty Re: New Cuban and United States relationships: How will it affect Mexico?

Post by David Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:00 pm

Not true. One can go from the USA but it's a complicated process and it's expensive. We looked into it. Later decided to simply go from here. No problema and not expensive.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by papa chango Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Pedo, I didn't know that United States citizens can freely travel to Cuba. I never thought that a Canadian could know more about what is happening in the United States than United States citizens.

But my question was: how is this going to affect things in Mexico?
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:16 pm

IMHO, not much.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:37 pm

so there we were in front of a grande hotel in downtown habana when i heard y'all' y'all from the table behind us, turning around i sees [as it turns out] 2 ordinary gueras in their 40's from texass. we had a discussion and they said they drove from texass to miami and flew. they said they got some sort of "cultural exchange thingy from yer excited states gummint which allows ordinary citizens to travel from yer homeland to cuba with impunity. they said it was real easy and  so my info came directly from a coupla texass filles mouths-SNORK! most of the other tourists we chatted with were from europe and russia.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:47 pm

That's correct but it's a hassle and expensive. One can't simply go to the airport and get on a plane like here. The airfare is costly since only ONE airline is allowed to fly from Miami to Habana.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:52 pm

they didn't look very "rich" to me. but hey! the could have been zillionaires in disguise. they did tell me it was no sweat and easy.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:30 pm

Sure, you have to use a travel agent licensed to conduct "cultural" tours and it costs about twice as much per day compared to going from here. We met some Americans on such tours when we were there in March.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:42 pm

they were by themselves -no tours. i spoke to them at great length. they went- you didn't. instead from here same as us since we live here that's all-eh!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:19 pm

Hmmm.
If The US were to drop travel restrictions to Cuba entirely.... I wonder how that will effect Mexico's Travel Industry as they won't be able to Grey Market all those AMERICAN TOURISTS . Beer
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:33 pm

Just because they said it doesn't make it true. People lie all the time for various reasons. However, if you were to check with the US government instead of some strangers, you would find its' citizens have not been allowed to travel to Cuba without special permission.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:45 pm

itsme wrote:Just because they said it doesn't make it true. People lie all the time for various reasons. However, if you were to check with the US government instead of some strangers, you would find its' citizens have not been allowed to travel to Cuba without special permission.

True itsme, however, there are some that never check facts, they simply open there mouth to change "FEET"! drunk

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by hueco_negro Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Hookers in Mexico might lose some business.
hueco_negro
hueco_negro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:00 pm

itsme wrote:Just because they said it doesn't make it true. People lie all the time for various reasons. However, if you were to check with the US government instead of some strangers, you would find its' citizens have not been allowed to travel to Cuba without special permission.

¿ Do you think American citizens have any problems going to Cuba from Canada then ?
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:18 pm

it's all moot now ain't it and i doubt 2 nice ladies from texass would have any reason to lie about it. nothing to gain. they insisted that they have their foto taken with me because i am so handsome.-y'all. the cultural thing is/was special permission and easy to get according to them. i was shocked and amazed. so itsme-are you at the top of the food chain fer excited states gummint info regarding the past with cuba?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:19 pm

Probably, They will scan your Passport.   Visiting Cuba on a flight from MX. is no problem as Cuba does not stamp/scan US Passports.  

The problem is US discovery you made the unauthorized trip.   Then you may have legal issues, that may be worked out, but, a royal PITA to resolve.

Or if you get in a bind, tell them about the 2 women from Texas that said it was no problem, book your flight and go. I am sure these 2 women's report will trump US Immigration laws.? Surte

Last edited by Jim W on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Jim W wrote:Probably, They will scan your Passport.   Visiting Cuba on a flight from MX. is no problem as Cuba does not stamp/scan US Passports.  

The problem is US discovery you made the unauthorized trip.   Then you may have legal issues, that may be worked out, but, a royal PITA to resolve.
i suggest that you read some news today about us/cuba relations
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:33 pm

yak yak yak.... how hard is this...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/17/us-cuba-usa-gross-idUSKBN0JV1H520141217

P.S ... Any Americans I have talked to, that have made this trip, say Cuban Immigration stamps a separate paper that you keep in your US Passport ... thus, no permanent record of travel....
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by windrider17 Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:03 pm

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/cuba.html

windrider17
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Warped

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:06 pm

News I have read said initially business and family travel restrictions will be loosened but not tourist visits.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:38 pm

This really cracks me up. Canadian opinion of US LAWS. Cuba has been stamping a blank sheet for years. ....... they do not scan and want USD. This was the case when I investigated travel last month. Please provide us the US originating airline.....that allows booking a flight to Cuba at the counter.

I just love it when the uninformed quote daily news as a change in the law. Please do your research before you open your mouth to change feet.Dead Horse
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Snork!!
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:56 pm

They don't stamp if you ASK them. We forgot. Went the USA a few months later, no issue at immigration. If you want to see Cuba go now before it changes!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:41 am

For us USA folks to go to Cuba you had to get a permit.  Non profit, teacher, Reporter that type of thing. In the past a tourist was told no.  And if you folks don't think that Canada gives the US (and visa versa) all of the travel records you are not paying attention. I am sure the same is true in Mexico. All three countries share all flight information including boarding lists.  I believe the fine was 5000 USD if the government cared. Cuban Americans have different rules thus the confusion about the Miami/Cuba flights.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next