INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brisket

+3
slainte39
Pedro
SunFan
7 posters

Go down

Brisket Empty Brisket

Post by SunFan Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:23 am

Can anyone recommend a place to buy brisket?

Someone just sent me a recipe for slow cooked brisket with potato latkes and I can't get it out of my head.

TIA

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Brisket Empty Re: Brisket

Post by Pedro Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:03 pm

unfortunately what you are looking for is called "la falda" which pretty much covers all the underside cuts of a steer. yer gonna hafta take a pic to the butcher and point to the front of the bottom chest or without a pic point at yer upper chest. we did something similar for a certain cut of pork and the butcher has been good with it ever since. we use the butchers at the chapala mercado.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:33 pm

I always ask for pecho....usually has to be ordered.
You might be able to get one from Rick Fischer, who used to own Early Bird restaurant on Ocampo, and now has a shirt shop just west of Diane Pearl on the same street.
He corns the brisket for sale, uncooked.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kb9gzg Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:47 pm

slainte39 wrote:I always ask for pecho....usually has to be ordered.
You might be able to get one from Rick Fischer, who used to own Early Bird restaurant on Ocampo, and now has a shirt shop just west of Diane Pearl on the same street.
He corns the brisket for sale, uncooked.

(Not intending to change the subject, but Rick's corned beef is mahvelous.)
kb9gzg
kb9gzg
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:51 pm

If you want a good price, and fresh, never frozen, try the Carniceria across from Soriana's, about 1/4 block from the Municipal Slaughterhouse. He brings in pork and beef sides on Saturdays, leaves them to chill overnight, and by Sunday you can buy any cut you want. He is a very busy man, however, and does not have time to offer the finer add ons. An untrimmed brisket is an intimidating sight. Lots of meat and fat - luckily, there are lots of articles on the internet on how to trim brisket.

I am using our last pork belly from them. Making Japanese Kakuni from an Iron Chef recipe (Matamoto).
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartdude Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:37 pm

CHILLIN wrote:If you want a good price, and fresh, never frozen, try the Carniceria across from Soriana's, about 1/4 block from the Municipal Slaughterhouse. He brings in pork and beef sides on Saturdays, leaves them to chill overnight, and by Sunday you can buy any cut you want. He is a very busy man, however, and does not have time to offer the finer add ons. An untrimmed brisket is an intimidating sight. Lots of meat and fat - luckily, there are lots of articles on the internet on how to trim brisket.

I am using our last pork belly from them. Making Japanese Kakuni from an Iron Chef recipe (Matamoto).

I walk by there 2 or 3 times a week. Is there any English spoken? I still have a hard time with cuts of meat in Spanish.
Bartdude
Bartdude
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Almost nuthin better than a good laugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Bartdude

Here ya go.

http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/2398-choice-cut-or-mystery-meat-a-guide-to-mexican-butcher-shops-part-i-beef

Enjoy

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:28 pm

as an ex swift packer person i can tell you what you are looking for is that #1 in the diagram if you want brisket for smoking or slow cooking.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:51 am

But Pedro there are 8 # 1's on the diagram.

Surely you mean the number 1 in the pecho/brisket section?

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:33 am

lo siento yes the front of the chest as i said before.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:03 am

No Pedro - you said everything was "la falda".

In both beef and pork, the flavor is always better towards the head. It is also better slow cooked on the bone.

The butcher at that shop speaks only a little English - but his lovely assistant speaks English. They cut a nice pork chambrete there - a long pork shank with the bone in. A slow cooked, specialty here in Jalisco.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:23 am

CHILLIN wrote:No Pedro - you said everything was "la falda".

In both beef and pork, the flavor is always better towards the head. It is also better slow cooked on the bone.

The butcher at that shop speaks only a little English - but his lovely assistant speaks English. They cut a nice pork chambrete there - a long pork shank with the bone in. A slow cooked, specialty here in Jalisco.

the op was asking for "brisket" which is the front part of la falda en espanol. nothing to do with shanks. i'll stick to the 3 butchers in the mercado which either one of us can walk to. there is even a 4th outside on the north who does just beef. never used hin so i can't comment. all the meat is fresh and not frozen. i have even bought goat there and you can get chicken roti or fresh, eggs and rabbit from the chicken ladies outside. yes slow cook is popular and there are carnitas vendors out front too, saving you the trouble of doing it. inside is also a fresh chicken vendor.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:16 am

Falda means "skirt" - skirt steak. Pecho means "breast" - brisket.

Karen Gruber is fully bilingual, living in a Mexican only community. She was formerly (now retired) U.S. Consul in Puerto Vallarta and an expert on Mexican cooking. She calls brisket pecho.

Massacre English as much as you want, but when you start on Spanish it reflects badly upon the gringo community, it is blatantly disrespectful and -well -makes you look rather "Naco".

I recommend that butcher because I have seen the way the sides are handled when they leave the slaughterhouse. Many times, at best, just a sheet of plastic in an open pickup truck, or hanging off the sides while these trucks deliver and sell throughout the Colonias. The carniceria meat locker is only a quarter block from the slaughter house - less chance of dirt and flies.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:35 am

good for karen.there is more than one translation for brisket-google it. here's another la falda de buey. geeze such power you keep insisting that i have gary. now i am so powerful that what i say reflects badly on the entire gringo community-SNORK!

BRISKET -how many names do you have? gee let's find out and google BRISKET IN SPANISH-har!
in any event, all the op has to do is show a picture to his butcher of choice. we have used this technique with great success more than once and the butcher will tell you what he calls it. this can vary from butcher to butcher. what a surprise! capisce gary?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:59 am

You guys could probably have an argument over which directions the sun rises and sets.   lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:52 pm

I have ordered brisket from Tony's meat market. They know what it is. Granted it would not be as fresh as that which comes from the slaughter house 1/2 a block away. Sure was good though cooked in the crockpot with beef broth and a package of dry Liptons Onion Soup like my Mom use to make. Mom also made potato latkes with real chicken fat razberry razberry
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lovingly sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down