INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Import taxes

+3
Sunnyvmx
elbelgicano
Oldshoe
7 posters

Go down

Import taxes Empty Import taxes

Post by elbelgicano Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:57 pm

I ordered a double boiler through Amazone.com and they will ship it here (about 60 dollars all together). How will Mexican customs charge me with the taxes on this and how much could it be ? Will I have to pay (the duties) somewhere, before they actually hand over the package to me ?

Rony
elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all kinds

http://chocochef.blogspot.mx

Back to top Go down

Import taxes Empty Re: Import taxes

Post by Oldshoe Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:54 am

Rony, I hope your experience with your order is a good one.  I think the usual 16% could be charged.

When I order anything from NOB I have it sent to Handy Mail's San Antonio address because I don't trust FedEx or UPS finding my house and besides there's someone at HM all day.  They will pay any duty due when a package arrives with the understanding you will repay when you come for the package.

In the past I've only had one package that I had to pay duty on, it came via FedEx and not ordered from Amazon.  Other packages that came USPS have had no duty (so far).  Other packages that came from Amazon have had no duty as well.  Until now.  An order I placed almost 2 weeks ago from Amazon and included import duty deposit has been sitting in Guadalajara at DHL since the 6th on 'customs clearance delay'.  I can't tell you the amount of time I've spent on the phone to DHL here and US and Amazon.  I've been told I need to hire a customs broker, another said the cut off date is the 15th and the shipment will be destroyed or returned to sender.  Oh joy.

Oldshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by elbelgicano Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Oldshoe wrote:Rony, I hope your experience with your order is a good one.  I think the usual 16% could be charged.

When I order anything from NOB I have it sent to Handy Mail's San Antonio address because I don't trust FedEx or UPS finding my house and besides there's someone at HM all day.  They will pay any duty due when a package arrives with the understanding you will repay when you come for the package.

In the past I've only had one package that I had to pay duty on, it came via FedEx and not ordered from Amazon.  Other packages that came USPS have had no duty (so far).  Other packages that came from Amazon have had no duty as well.  Until now.  An order I placed almost 2 weeks ago from Amazon and included import duty deposit has been sitting in Guadalajara at DHL since the 6th on 'customs clearance delay'.  I can't tell you the amount of time I've spent on the phone to DHL here and US and Amazon.  I've been told I need to hire a customs broker, another said the cut off date is the 15th and the shipment will be destroyed or returned to sender.  Oh joy.

I know that it is a bit of a lottery system..... You can be lucky or not.
Good luck to you too.

Rony
elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunnyvmx Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:52 pm

I have placed many orders with Amazon and have had exceptional service. At the time of the final sale it includes all monies including shipping and handling and duty. If the duty doesn't amount to the amount they charged, you receive a credit sometimes a month later, but you get it. The package is delivered right to your door and they make three attempts to deliver. You can track it and I have found it comes the day scheduled or sometimes it's been a week early.
Sunnyvmx
Sunnyvmx
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lots of it

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldshoe Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:07 pm

Prior to this FUBAR I've had your same experience ordering from Amazon.  I imagine one of the items we ordered just didn't fit Aduana's profile and it kicked out the whole order.

Oldshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Rony: Most of the time, 16% duty tax is assessed on any shipment valued at more than 50.00 USD. Sometimes it seems that shipping costs are included in determining the value for duty purposes, but not always. Haven't detected a reliable pattern yet.

If Amazon under-assesses the likely duty tax, they pay up and eat the difference. Most of the time, they tend to overassess and when that happens, they refund the difference in 4 to 6 weeks. Very cool.

If determining the delivery day is important, do not rely on Amazon's site but go to the shipper (usually UPS or DHL) and enter the tracking number there (and sign up for email notice of exceptions, etc.). 90% of the time, UPS delivers 1 to 4 days earlier than Amazon gives as the estimated delivery day.
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:11 pm

When you have it shipped into Mexico.....you are at the mercy of gawd knows who. Several years ago, I purchased a used Callaway 3 wood, used. Paid $150.00 USD, and customs wanted 1700 pesos duty! Import taxes 851398
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by elbelgicano Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:42 pm

Thks for all the good info, guys.
elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by elbelgicano Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:37 pm

And I received my double boiler today.... no import taxes. I am pretty happy with the whole deal : 13 dollars to ship it here (bought through Amazone.com). I love this way of shopping.
elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Congratulations!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by LaLnMX Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks to the experiences and advice above, I think I am ready to make my first Amazon order since living SOB.

LaLnMX
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:24 am

Rony, how long did it take to get your order? I ordered a couple of projector lamps from Amazon about 3 weeks ago and so far nothing. I believe it was shipped USPS. The order was tracked until it hit the border, then nada. What carrier did they use for yours?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldshoe Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:53 am

Bob, I know you're asking Rony but thought I'd post.  I ordered some items from Amazon that went USPS at the same time I placed the order that went DHL (that ultimately was sent back to Amazon).  That was Oct 1 and I'm still waiting to see those things.  I also ordered some stuff from iherb that went USPS Aug 29 that still hasn't shown up.  As a counter point I've received 2 packages via USPS from other sources at about the same time and they arrived in a reasonable time.

Oldshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by elbelgicano Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:08 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Rony, how long did it take to get your order? I ordered a couple of projector lamps from Amazon about 3 weeks ago and so far nothing. I believe it was shipped USPS. The order was tracked until it hit the border, then nada. What carrier did they use for yours?

They used UPS and it took exactly one week.
elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:24 pm

The only time I've had USPS offered as an option with Amazon has been when the item was being sent to a US address - to family, friends, or the Laredo, Texas address so I am curious how you would be able to ship US Postal Service directly to your APDO or home address in Mexico.

I stopped using the Laredo address when I discovered how easy it was to use Amazon Global and ship directly to our home here.  When an item is shipping to Mexico, the transport is arranged through Amazon Global and they choose UPS or DHL.

My only "complaint" is an inconsistency in what is available to ship to Mexico.   A pet fountain could be shipped, but not the replacement filters.   A rectangular litter box could be shipped, but not the same brand triangular litter box.  It does seem that more items are available every month, so I am giving patience some exercise.
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down