INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seguro Popular

3 posters

Go down

Seguro Popular Empty Seguro Popular

Post by shana Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:35 pm

I am thinking of dropping my IMSS when it expires and going to Seguro Popular. A few years ago I helped someone enroll but I know there have been changes. I live in Ajijic. Do I still need to enroll in Chapala. What do I need to do to make this happen?
If you are using it are you satisfied? I know it won't cost me anything but but what will it cost me in terms of their service as opposed to IMSS which pretty much covers everything when available. I do have Best Doctors which I will keep active.
Thanks.

shana
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Seguro Popular Empty Re: Seguro Popular

Post by Ezzie Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:34 am

SP does not cover "everything everywhere" yet - it seems to me to be a service that is still under construction.  The thing I like about it is accessibility - there are small clinics in most of the smaller towns near where I live so you don't have to go to Chapala or Guadalajara just to see a doctor or get some pills.  Most of the smaller locations are staffed by interns who act as the front line and can refer you to other doctors or hospitals if you need something beyond the basics.  The ones I have been in so far are well staffed with friendly and caring people and clean.  The programs and service are focused on the needs of children, young families and the elderly.  Of course, one of the other things about it that is good is that there are no costs if you are over 60 and maintenance drugs are supplied for free.  There are no restrictions or possibility of denial due to pre-conditions like there is with IMSS. It is funded by the taxes we pay to the Federal Gov't (through Pemex, etc.) and is Mexico's version of social medicine.

I initially enrolled in Chapala with the assistance of Spencer's office and since I am on the east side, I use the clinic in San Juan Tecomatlan.  There are also clinics in Santa Cruz, San Nicolas, Mezcala, Poncitlan, Ocotlan, etc. The more I use it, the more satisfied I am with it but I have not had anything serious in the way of an illness that needed attention.  It takes a while to figure out how they do things just like with any other institution but once you do, it becomes easier.  It was important to me to enroll because I am "self-insured" and need access to something in the event of a medical emergency.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by Calgary Native Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:15 am

I will be moving to Lakeside Oct 22/14. I did not know there were two types of Government Health insurance. What is the basis difference between IMSS and Seguro Popular.

Calgary Native

Back to top Go down

Post by shana Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:32 am

Thanks Ezzie. I am quite sure I will make the change.
I still have to find out how to go about it. I am one of those "Ido it myself" people.

shana
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:52 am

Shana, there is an excellent document about SP that is in English and available from Lucy or her daughter that assist people with IMSS enrollment at LCS.  It explains the requirements and how to register for SP.  If you like, I can scan and email it to you if you PM me your address. I didn't even try to apply to IMSS because of the possibility of being denied (because I am a foreigner, pre-conditions, etc.). With IMSS you have to pay an application fee up front and if they do some testing and decide to deny you for any reason whatsoever - they keep your money!!

Seguro Popular is Mexico's "social medicine" program available to everyone - regardless of age, medical pre-conditions, etc. It is fully funded by the Federal Gov't through income from taxes. As with many countries that have such programs, the service levels are fairly basic and don't cover everything (such as cosmetic surgery, spinal column surgery, sex change operations, etc.).

IMSS is a "medical insurance" program which is funded partially through premiums paid by either the subscriber (based on age/income, etc.) or employers as an employee benefit. There have been rumours that this system is hurting financially so in recent years it has been more difficult for elderly people to either obtain or continue to obtain services from it.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by shana Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:20 am

Ezzie,
Thank you so much for your help. I would love to have the registration info in English. I do hold Mexican citizenship and at present have IMSS. It will expire October 31st and I am going to let it lapse. That means on November 1 I am free to sign up
for SP.
I will be away most of October so need to be ready to move forward on November 1 and your sending me the info will allow me to do that.
Gracias! Gracias@ Gracias!
Ann
Happynmex@gmail.com

shana
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down