INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there a disaster waiting in the wings (overfilled LP tank)?

+5
sparks
Pedro
Smartalex
Rolly
Clueless
9 posters

Go down

Is there a disaster waiting in the wings (overfilled LP tank)? Empty Is there a disaster waiting in the wings (overfilled LP tank)?

Post by Clueless Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:14 pm

I just got some L.P. and said to fill it up. They did and I paid.

I just checked the gauge and 85 is in red, which I assume means the top limit for filling the tank.

The tank was filled to 92.

The tank is old but in good shape (no rust, etc.).

What if anything should I do?

Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Is there a disaster waiting in the wings (overfilled LP tank)? Empty Re: Is there a disaster waiting in the wings (overfilled LP tank)?

Post by Rolly Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:46 pm

Take a looong hot bath. You could also call the gas company.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Is there a disaster waiting in the wings (overfilled LP tank)? Empty Re: Is there a disaster waiting in the wings (overfilled LP tank)?

Post by Smartalex Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:07 pm

Rolly wrote:Take a looong hot bath.

Or roast a chicken.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:16 pm

and wash it down with a cerveza and maybe a shot of tequila; all after the bath. your propane tank will thank you.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Give the tank some shade to avoid heat expansion
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:34 pm

85 percent is marginal but unless the tank is very old and rusty, it is probably within the safety factor. There is no one here to my knowledge who will take gas out of a tank, they'll just blow it off.

Making sure the tank is shaded is also a very good suggestion.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:30 pm

Isn't there a pressure relief valve on the tank?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:31 pm

Yes there is, generally.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:14 pm

just got ours filled today for 1498 pesos. 8 years ago it was under 900p. it lasts about 3 months. all we have is stove and on demand water heater.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:45 pm

It sounds like you have a leak. That amount of propane lasts us 2 months and we have 3 stoves, 1 oven and 3 hot water heaters (including our casitas) and usually have 4 to 6 people here on the property. Your usage should be about 1/3 of ours.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:21 pm

Pedro wrote:just got ours filled today for 1498 pesos. 8 years ago it was under 900p. it lasts about 3 months. all we have is stove and on demand water heater.
We use 500 pesos worth every two months,stove,oven and water heater.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:15 pm

Do nothing. The 80-85% is the "legal" limit and it gives a good margin of error. However, you are still safe. You would need a large change in temperature before the liquid expanded to the 100% capacity of the tank.

Is there a disaster waiting in the wings (overfilled LP tank)? 1266005311699

You basically have 10% of your tank unfilled, and would need the liquid to expand 10% to reach its limit. That would require about a 40°F change (recall that the difference between °F and °C is 180°F:100°C, or 9/5, thus 40°F is about a 22°C change). Thus if it was 60°F in the morning or night when it was filled, it would have to reach 100°F during the day to expand to 100%. Assuming it does happen (and it did not), the tank would simply vent the extra propane (through a relief valve that will automatically close again when the overcapacity is vented).

Is there a disaster waiting in the wings (overfilled LP tank)? Propane-butane-mix-vapor-pressure-diagram

As long as there is no open flame or spark near the tank when it vents, and the tank is not in an enclosed space, there still would not be any real risk present.

Clueless wrote:I just got some L.P. and said to fill it up. They did and I paid.

I just checked the gauge and 85 is in red, which I assume means the top limit for filling the tank.

The tank was filled to 92.

The tank is old but in good shape (no rust, etc.).

What if anything should I do?

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:09 pm

CanuckBob wrote:It sounds like you have a leak. That amount of propane lasts us 2 months and we have 3 stoves, 1 oven and 3 hot water heaters (including our casitas) and usually have 4 to 6 people here on the property. Your usage should be about 1/3 of ours.
whoops! lo siento-just checked with the checker and the last fill was march 22. that ain't shabby-eh! we use our stove/oven a lot as we don't go to restaurants frequently and i forgot that we have a gas clothes dryer as well
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:02 am

Oh yeah.....I forgot about the gas dryer. Anyhow that sounds more like what your usage should be.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down