INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mexico vs. Brasil - 2pm!

+11
Smartalex
Zedinmexico
hockables
David
gringomojado
hickton
CheenaGringo
Mainecoons
CanuckBob
brigitte
Rosa Venus
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mexico vs. Brasil - 2pm! Empty Mexico vs. Brasil - 2pm!

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:46 am

It's the big one! Today at 2pm. (Hopefully you're not expecting workers at your house this afternoon....jajajaja.)

Vamos El Tri!  flag waver 
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Mexico vs. Brasil - 2pm! Empty Re: Mexico vs. Brasil - 2pm!

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Wow. 0-0. May not look like much, but a great result for Mexico.

But I guess nobody is into it here. Oh well.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Viva Ochoa!!

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:24 pm

Amazing goal tending!!!!

Viva Mexico  mariachi 
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:47 pm

Ochoa made the game !

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:54 pm

brigitte wrote:Ochoa made the game !

Totally! I was with a group of friends, all of whom had their smart phones out after the game. The "memes" (visual internet messages....photo-shopped stuff) were hysterical. He was sainted, his head was on top of the Jesus statue in Rio, etc. So much fun. flag waver
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:07 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Amazing goal tending!!!!

Viva Mexico     mariachi 

Yep, good thing since they were on defense practically the whole game. Seems like every time they got the ball they turned it over before they even got much past mid field.

Goalie saved their bacon, yep.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:56 pm

As a former goalie, just who is in the position to take the final blame for goals scored against?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Mexico vs. Brasil - 2pm! <a href=Mexico vs. Brasil - 2pm! 14026810" />
Mexico vs. Brasil - 2pm! <a href=Mexico vs. Brasil - 2pm! 14030310" />

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:47 pm

its called goal keeping. think goal tending refers to some minority sport .

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:25 pm

How about the ruskie "portero" Mexico get a point for today!
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:28 pm

It was a great match.  Anyone who says they were mostly on defense simply doesn't understand Futbol! El Tri had just as much offense as Brasil.  Don't forget that Mexico is not itimidated by Brasil, they beat them for the Gold medal at the 2012 Olympics!

Look here: https://www.google.com.mx/search?sourceid=ie7&q=mexico+brasil+2014&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7AURU_en&gfe_rd=cr&ei=ivqgU6HEPKrA8geqi4GACA&gws_rd=ssl  for match stats and then tell me Mexico spent "most of their time on defense."
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:06 pm

The game is missing something....

I know!!

Cheerleaders  Beer 
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:24 am

David wrote:It was a great match.  Anyone who says they were mostly on defense simply doesn't understand Futbol! El Tri had just as much offense as Brasil.  Don't forget that Mexico is not itimidated by Brasil, they beat them for the Gold medal at the 2012 Olympics!

Look here: https://www.google.com.mx/search?sourceid=ie7&q=mexico+brasil+2014&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7AURU_en&gfe_rd=cr&ei=ivqgU6HEPKrA8geqi4GACA&gws_rd=ssl  for match stats and then tell me Mexico spent "most of their time on defense."

The game statistics show Mexico was on defense more.  Look again.  Did you actually watch the entire game start to finish?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=statistics%20Mexico%20vs%20Brazil

Unfortunately, they don't show turnovers.  Brazil clearly excelled in stripping the ball and Mexico had more pass failures.  If you actually watch the game and know how to watch it, you see this stuff that isn't reflected well in the statistics.

Brazil had nearly three times as many shots on goal.  That happens when much of the game is played on the other team's end of the field.  There was very rapid changing of possession in this game, the overall statistic wouldn't reflect that.

Total shots were similar but Mexico was taking more of theirs from way out.  Again, not reflected in the statistics but apparent in the watching.

They did well to hold the game scoreless.  Mexico's goalie played brilliantly.  Brazil is the better team and Mexico kept them from scoring.  More than a few of their shots looked like sure goals but were saved by the goalie or the defense.  Brazil's frustration towards the end of the game was obvious.

Here's a blog with an ongoing commentary as the game progressed. Note the references to turnovers and Mexico having a hard time getting and staying on Brazil's end of the field. Exactly what I saw. Fun to read about it from observations during the game.

Mexico struggling to string passes together.

Too many turnovers this half.

http://www.smh.com.au/fifa-world-cup-2014/world-cup-match-centre/world-cup-2014-brazil-v-mexico-live-blog-20140617-3aa4v.html

Brazil dominated on offense in the actual watching of the game.  That should surprise no one considering they were a top seed going into the cup matches.

It is looking good for Mexico to go to the next level.

The real surprise for me is the dismal performance of Spain.  They are last in their group as of this writing.

Last edited by Mainecoons on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:40 am

hockables wrote:The game is missing something....

I know!!          

Cheerleaders      Beer 

Don't laugh in Japan Baseball has cheerleaders!!!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:16 am

Hey...got your cheerleaders right here.

Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:52 am

Mainecoons wrote:
David wrote:It was a great match.  Anyone who says they were mostly on defense simply doesn't understand Futbol! El Tri had just as much offense as Brasil.  Don't forget that Mexico is not itimidated by Brasil, they beat them for the Gold medal at the 2012 Olympics!

The game statistics show Mexico was on defense more.  Look again.  Did you actually watch the entire game start to finish?

Total shots were similar but Mexico was taking more of theirs from way out.  Again, not reflected in the statistics but apparent in the watching.

They did well to hold the game scoreless.  Mexico's goalie played brilliantly.  Brazil is the better team and Mexico kept them from scoring.  More than a few of their shots looked like sure goals but were saved by the goalie or the defense.  Brazil's frustration towards the end of the game was obvious.

Brazil dominated on offense in the actual watching of the game.  That should surprise no one considering they were a top seed going into the cup matches.

Yes, I watched the entire game, start to finish.  Mexico took 13 shots, Brasil 14.  It doesn't matter where they were taken from.  Possession was 53% Brasil, 47% Mexico.  That NOT offensive domination by Brasil. Turnovers are not recorded as a stat because they're meaningless in futbol.  What matters is possession.   Do you know ANYTHING about Futbol or are you just interpreting based on your knowledge of american handball sports such as basketball and football where turnovers mean something?  Do you know the definition of a "shot on goal?"

Brasil was the top seed ONLY because they're the host country, they're not ranked #1 in the World.  Mexico was not itimidated by Brasil as many countries are.  Mexico beat Brasil for the Gold Medal in the London Olympics of 2012.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:05 pm

Of course it matters.  If you can't work the ball in close enough to get higher percentage shots, you aren't going to score.  Again, Brazil took more than two times as many shots on goal and some of them would have been goals in most games.  Ochoa played brilliantly, everyone agrees on it.

I don't know how they come up with that possession statistic but it doesn't mirror what was going on the field well IMO.  Mexico turned the ball over a lot shortly after crossing mid field.  They may have had it for some time but a lot of that time was dribbling around in their own backfield.

Statistics will only take you so far and then you need to notice what actually happened on the field.

From Latin Times:

Sloppy play and turnovers lead to Brazil finding its rhythm and pace at the 21” to 30” mark. They were able to get multiple shots on goal, including a header for Neymar at the 23rd minute mark that had the entire crowd on their feet, believing they had witnessed the opening goal. But it was not to be as “Memo” made the all worldly save and denied the balll from crossing over the goalline...

"Memo" was amazing! Brazil had all the scoring opportunities in the second half, as Mexico tried to hang on and not relinquish a goal. Ochoa continued to make save after save, leading all those in observance to wonder if El Tri was playing with fire and would it be only a matter of time before Brazil found the net...

For Brazil, while disappointing, this result will certainly not be devastating for them. If not for the masterful saves by Ochoa, Brazil could have easily won this match 2-0 if not more. They will begrudginly accept the draw and look to beat Cameroon, who is the weakest of the group, on June 23rd. A win there cements their first place finish in the group, or at the very least a runner up finish depending on the final score between Mexico and Croatia.

Mexico played defense most of the game, I think that was their strategy going in.  They played it well and it was a good strategy for them considering they are over matched by Brazil.  I suggest you review the standings coming into the Cup to appreciate that fact.

We both watched the same game.  I notice in reading the after commentary that a lot of observers agree with my observations.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:08 pm

I watched the game with my neighbors,they all thanked me again for the "equipo gringo" win over Panama that allowed Mexico to qualify for the Mundial. cheers 

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:40 pm

Mainecoons wrote:Of course it matters.  If you can't work the ball in close enough to get higher percentage shots, you aren't going to score.  Again, Brazil took more than two times as many shots on goal and some of them would have been goals in most games.  Ochoa played brilliantly, everyone agrees on it.

I don't know how they come up with that possession statistic but it doesn't mirror what was going on the field well IMO.  Mexico turned the ball over a lot shortly after crossing mid field.  They may have had it for some time but a lot of that time was dribbling around in their own backfield.

Statistics will only take you so far and then you need to notice what actually happened on the field.
Mexico played defense most of the game, I think that was their strategy going in.  They played it well and it was a good strategy for them considering they are over matched by Brazil.  I suggest you review the standings coming into the Cup to appreciate that fact.

We both watched the same game.  I notice in reading the after commentary that a lot of observers agree with my observations.

Sorry, you don't get to redesign the stats.  Mexico had 47% possession, that doesn't say defense.  The had only one less shot than Brazil, that says a lot of offense.  A shot just wide or just over is a shot, that offense.  Apparently you saw a different game than I did.  ALL soccer association use the same stats.  I repeat, turnovers are not a stat and mean nothing, the possession stat indicates that.  Let's agree that we're happy for El Tri.  I hope you learn something about the game during the world cup.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:46 pm

David, somehow i doubt that will happen. It's hard to learn anything when you already know everything. Great game, GO EL TRI !!!!!!
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:07 pm

hey marty I like your sense of humor! Yes it was a great game.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:11 pm

From today's The News, Mexico City.  By Tales Azzoni, Associated Press

"In the end, the 0-0 mirrors what happened.  It was a very hard fought match,"  Brasil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said.

"It was an evenly balanced game at the Arena Castelao, with Mexico not allowing Brasil to take control..  El Tri didn't play defensively and created chances throughout the match, especially with long shots by midfielders Hector Herrera and Jose Vasquez."

Apparently, the writer saw the same match I did.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:26 pm

David wrote:From today's The News, Mexico City.  By Tales Azzoni, Associated Press

"In the end, the 0-0 mirrors what happened.  It was a very hard fought match,"  Brasil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said.

"It was an evenly balanced game at the Arena Castelao, with Mexico not allowing Brasil to take control..  El Tri didn't play defensively and created chances throughout the match, especially with long shots by midfielders Hector Herrera and Jose Vasquez."

Apparently, the writer saw the same match I did.

In Ireland, everybody thought it was an evenly matched game, with Mexico outstanding on goal defense.
But of course on this board you have observers with more knowledge and expertise than Scorlari or anyone else.   Rolling Eyes

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:00 pm

David wrote:
Mainecoons wrote:Of course it matters.  If you can't work the ball in close enough to get higher percentage shots, you aren't going to score.  Again, Brazil took more than two times as many shots on goal and some of them would have been goals in most games.  Ochoa played brilliantly, everyone agrees on it.

Sorry, you don't get to redesign the stats.  Mexico had 47% possession, that doesn't say defense.  The had only one less shot than Brazil, that says a lot of offense.  A shot just wide or just over is a shot, that offense.  Apparently you saw a different game than I did.  ALL soccer association use the same stats.  I repeat, turnovers are not a stat and mean nothing, the possession stat indicates that.  Let's agree that we're happy for El Tri.  I hope you learn something about the game during the world cup.

You can possess and play defense, genius.  Time of possession has nothing to do with how and where that time is spent.  Particularly during the second half, the ball was on Mexico's side of the field more regardless of who possessed it.  They played a well strategized game against a better ranked team and held them to a tie.  That will enable them to move to the 16, a win in my book.

The news reports support my view that Mexico played primarily a defensive game.  Maybe you both should do a little more reading.  Obviously the losing coach is going to build up the team he lost to.  The coaches talk like that NOB.

You have your view of the game, I have mine.  You've provided very little support for your point of view from other observers other than a losing coach trying to paint lipstick on his loss.  Your main evidence seems to be your usual tendency to personal insults.  Discussion over.

Spain is finished.  Lost two to zero to Chile.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next