INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CNN today: Up beat story of Americans moving to Mexico

4 posters

Go down

CNN today: Up beat story of Americans moving to Mexico   Empty CNN today: Up beat story of Americans moving to Mexico

Post by oncesubtle Thu May 15, 2014 5:30 pm

(Link to story has video)

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/15/world/americas/us-mexico-retirees/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Mexico has drug violence but it is still attractive to retirees
Cost of homes and medicines are cheaper, they say
In Puerto Vallarta, local businesses employing English speakers
About 1 million U.S. citizens are living in Mexico, State Department says
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (CNN) -- It's the life Sara Wise always dreamed of: a place with unbeatable weather, sunny beaches, good medical care and an active social life -- and all at very affordable prices.

The former manager of retail businesses didn't find what she wanted in her native U.S., but rather just south of the border in Mexico.

For the last six years, the 63-year-old Minnesotan and her 70-year-old husband Mike Wise, both retired, have been enjoying the warm weather and friendly beaches of Puerto Vallarta, a resort on the Pacific coast.

They have a very active social life and say they have more friends in Mexico than they ever did in the United States, mainly because Puerto Vallarta is full of people just like them.

According to local government estimates, there are around 35,000 U.S. and Canadian citizens living in Puerto Vallarta, many of them retired like Mike and Sara.

"We get together and we have happy hours, we have wine and appetizers, we have coffees in different neighborhoods and we get together at different restaurants," Sara Wise says.

Medical care is another factor they considered when they decided to move here. To their surprise, they found more options for quality health care and at much more affordable prices than in the United States, including procedures like surgeries and advanced dental care.

"The accessibility to the doctors is something that we never experienced in the United States and from what we understand it's getting more difficult, not less," Mike Wise says. "And the cost is somewhere between a quarter to a half of what things cost in the U.S."

Tourism recovering in MexicoPuerto Vallarta has adapted to this relatively new, foreign clientele. Around town, doctors and dentists put out signs in English, and often have English-speaking employees.

Kimberly Altman, 63, a retiree from California who has been living in Puerto Vallarta for three-and-a-half years, says a doctor's visit is usually $40.

"No matter what they do, $40 per visit and you can get to see them the very same day you need them. It's very convenient in a lot of ways," Altman says.

Mike Altman, 68, Kimberly's husband, says affordability goes well beyond just medical care. For him, part of the beauty of living in Puerto Vallarta is how far dollars go when it comes to real estate.

"We have an ocean view, 3,000-square-foot condominium that I can afford on my Social Security. How's that? We have 24-hour security and indoor parking," Altman says.

According to the U.S. Department of State, 1 million American citizens of all ages live in Mexico, and 20.3 million visited as tourists -- making it the No. 1 destination for U.S. travelers.

The number of expats living in Mexico has continued to grow, local officials say, despite safety concerns from the drug violence which has made headlines around the world. Jesus Gallegos Álvarez, tourism secretary of Jalisco state, where Puerto Vallarta is located, was gunned down in March 2013 in the city of Zapopan.

In March, authorities confiscated 1 metric ton of marijuana and 38 kilograms of methamphetamine in nearby Tlajomulco de Zuniga. The seizure was made possible after the arrest of Geronimo Ibarra Alcaraz, 23, an alleged member of a criminal group who, Jalisco authorities say, led them to the discovery of 19 bodies buried in a field, including a restaurateur from Tlajomulco.

But many expats insist their little corner of paradise has largely remained untouched by the drug violence.

"I feel very safe here. I go for walks with my dog at midnight. I go alone and I don't worry about it. When we lived in northern Minnesota, I'd wake up every morning and hear how many people were killed in Minneapolis overnight. We don't have that down here," Sara Wise says.

With plenty of food options, water sports like sailing and diving and American stores like Costco and Home Depot, retirees say they can enjoy the best of Mexico while still having access to many American products.

"We're here for good," Sara Wise says with a chuckle. "They'll probably take us out in a jar of ashes."
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

CNN today: Up beat story of Americans moving to Mexico   Empty Re: CNN today: Up beat story of Americans moving to Mexico

Post by David Thu May 15, 2014 6:17 pm

Lots of erroneous information.  The latest cencus in Mexico debunked the "more than 1 million Americans living in Mexico" falsehood.  As for PV, there might be 35,000 Americans there on a weekend but nowhere close to that number "living there."
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

CNN today: Up beat story of Americans moving to Mexico   Empty Re: CNN today: Up beat story of Americans moving to Mexico

Post by CheenaGringo Thu May 15, 2014 7:10 pm

I am almost positive that this was a recycle of a "fluff piece" done by CNN a year or two back? Given that CNN has a reputation for Mexico bashing, what good does an article like this do?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Thu May 15, 2014 8:50 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:I am almost positive that this was a recycle of a "fluff piece" done by CNN a year or two back?  Given that CNN has a reputation for Mexico bashing, what good does an article like this do?

"...what good does an article like this do?"

I wasn't sure so I did a quick search of CNN readership numbers and came up with, "...27.7 million (daily) uniques for CNN, 18.3 million for The New York Times, and 14.7 million for Fox News. And unlike MSNBC.com, Yahoo!, and AOL, CNN doesn’t have a major news portal funneling traffic to its site.

I'd have to guess it did some.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu May 15, 2014 9:16 pm

Like chicken soup: it can´t hurt.  Very Happy 
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu May 15, 2014 10:02 pm

What the heck CNN needed a filler once the Malaysian Airlines search fell apart after they put all their efforts into that story while ignoring most everything else of world importance. Now they have switched to the Donald Sterling story and the new "most important football player" in the US story. Perfect formula for ruining the news!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu May 15, 2014 10:20 pm

Has CNN done some real reporting and gotten into the Scott Sterling story? That worm, Donald, has a lot more to answer for than embarassing the NBA. I thought he was vile and disgusting before but a short visit with Senor Google had me ready to vomit.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down