INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COLONOSCOPY

+13
JoMexico
CheenaGringo
brigitte
Chapalamed
lunateak
Pedro
CHILLIN
Lady Otter Latté
kipissippi
borderreiver
David
sundown
Jim W
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

COLONOSCOPY  Empty COLONOSCOPY

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:16 pm

Just a reminder, if you are new to Lakeside, there are several places to get one, ranging in cost from 4000 pesos up, or you can drive to the clinic in NW GDL and get it done for around 3000 pesos. Dr. Leon in Ajijic brings personnel from the clinic in GDL on Saturdays.

For those of you over 50 get one, as colon cancer is avoidable and not a pleasant way to exit life, stage left!

If you have never had one, like most of us fear the unknown, however, must tell you the prep preceding the
the scope is worse...the procedure is a piece of cake! Thumbs up 
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

COLONOSCOPY  Empty Re: COLONOSCOPY

Post by sundown Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:27 pm

The procedure is a piece of cake, if you have anesthesia!
Always ask, & if they don't offer, search for a different Doctor, or hire an anesthesiaologist.
ALSO, it is best to have done in a Hospital, in case something goes wrong, emergency medical services are available!
I have had several, and also have had several friends die of Colon Cancer, because they evaded the procedure.

sundown
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:00 pm

Thanks Sundown, but, this is not the low bidder gets the deal test! Point is get it done, and maybe "EXTEND YOUR LIFE BY DECADES!"
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:47 pm

Talk to Dr. Juan Pablo.  He will take you to his prof. at the UDG Medical School.  Great facilities, excellent, mature, teaching Dr., and best price!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Sorry David , this is not a price issue!   Colonoscopy is about extending  life .....not cheapest provider....start a new thread.....por favor......cheapest best, colon treatment! This starts a new debate.....about best colon dudes? Not the intent of the thread!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Mrs. Rupert likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:54 pm

OK, OK, OK, U guys have had Ur fun so I'm 63, never had one, need one, so give me Ur best referral - fast. Got 3 wks to get this shit together (no pun intended). Please PM me. The least pain the better. I have had bits sliced off me before.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Border dude you are a friend, and fishing buddy, would never steer you wrong....you are doing good by you.....will pm
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:00 pm

No need to worry....there is no pain. They say "Count backward", you say "When are they going to do it?" They say... "You're all done". Whatever drug they use...it's a dandy.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:13 pm

I agree, Kip. It is a very nice drug.  Sleep 
BTW BorderR. Juan Pablo is my doctor. I did not shop around so I do not know where his costs are on the scale of doctors down here, but it all was done so professionally and painlessly that I do not care. When you are going through the prep for it the day before, just remember: that is the worst part. It will be all uphill from there.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:59 am

Jim W wrote:Sorry David , this is not a price issue!   Colonoscopy is about extending  life .....not cheapest provider....start a new thread.....por favor......cheapest best, colon treatment!  This starts a new debate.....about best colon dudes?  Not the intent of the thread!

OK, maybe I should have said, "good price." Dr. JP is my doc and the Dr. he uses for Colonoscopy is his former professor.  I take Dr. JP's recommendations seriously.  He recommended an orthopedic surgeon for my back operation.  I didn't go to him initially for a consult because he wasn't in the Allianz network.  After visiting two others who offered different diagnoses I went to Dr. Oscar.  It was clear he was the best.  Ultimately he agreed to do the work for what Allianz paid.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:37 am

In Canada, of course the colonscopy is free - but the doctor can only order it with a positive "test card", which involves stool samples over a three day period. I'll ask this year if this test is available from the Isilab, unless someone already knows about this?
http://www.webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/guide/fecal-occult-blood-test
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:56 am

seems to me that the stool sample route makes more sense,especially if there is no history of colon cancer genetically. yet another money maker from worried old folks,the colonoscopy?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Ya pays your money and you takes your chances Part 2:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jon-lapook/dr-ozs-colonoscopy-finds-_b_704992.html
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Some people will never have colon cancer or hemorroids because they're such perfect a**holes.  
 COLONOSCOPY  501432 
Sometimes I just crack myself up!
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:46 pm

Thumbs up 
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:18 pm

CHILLIN wrote:In Canada, of course the colonscopy is free - but the doctor can only order it with a positive "test card", which involves stool samples over a three day period. I'll ask this year if this test is available from the Isilab, unless someone already knows about this?
http://www.webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/guide/fecal-occult-blood-test

Chillin, I don't understand the Canadian medical system.  I am the 1st to admit I am also skeptical of the US Medicare system, but am very happy so far with the US Medicare system.   I was assigned my primary care MD early November 2013, had my 1st apt on 12/17/2013.   I asked about colonoscopy since my last was 2002.  He scheduled me and procedure was done 1/16/2014.

My primary care in USA reviewed all my medical records, and scheduled a chest X-ray, as none had been done in Mexico since my 1st physical in Mexico since 2006.  He didn't like what he saw on the x-ray and scheduled me for CT Scan which was completed 1/10/2014.  To date I am out of pocket $70.00.   In Mexico I would be out of pocket a lot more! Very Happy
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:09 am

Sorry Jim - the message was about the blood test, not the method of funding. Don't forget, your $70 has a many year contribution to public or private medical insurance behind it. The same as Canada - people brag about free, or low cost medical, yet something like 25% of your income tax goes to support it.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalamed Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:46 am

Pedro wrote:seems to me that the stool sample route makes more sense,especially if there is no history of colon cancer genetically. yet another money maker from worried old folks,the colonoscopy?

Diagnostic testing such as a Colonoscopy has it's indications. But in order to know best when it is indicated for you or is recommended as a part of normal "age appropriate" diagnostic screening you should speak with your healthcare provider and have him/her give you thorough medical history and check up.

I agree that in most cases a OBS(occult blood in stool)/Guaiac test is a good and inexpensive starting point.

Although colonoscopies are "safe" there still exists a risk of perforation and the need for emergent surgery. So, for those who think that saving some money and a trip into the city or hospital I would recommend weighing the risks. I am very straightforward with my patients, I advise against them having such a procedure anywhere here in the Lakeside area. In speaking with a couple of the retired MD's that have practices NOB, they all have agreed with my stance. It's always better to err on the safe side, I believe.

Chapalamed
Chapalamed
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:54 pm

Chapalamed wrote:
Pedro wrote:seems to me that the stool sample route makes more sense,especially if there is no history of colon cancer genetically. yet another money maker from worried old folks,the colonoscopy?

Diagnostic testing such as a Colonoscopy has it's indications. But in order to know best when it is indicated for you or is recommended as a part of normal "age appropriate" diagnostic screening you should speak with your healthcare provider and have him/her give you thorough medical history and check up.

I agree that in most cases a OBS(occult blood in stool)/Guaiac test is a good and inexpensive starting point.  

Although colonoscopies are "safe" there still exists a risk of perforation and the need for emergent surgery.  

excellent "medical" advice! in addition, if there is a perforation,peritonitis may occur,which is what killed my father.
if ya don't need it........
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:02 pm

Chapalamed wrote:

Although colonoscopies are "safe" there still exists a risk of perforation and the need for emergent surgery.  So, for those who think that saving some money and a trip into the city or hospital I would recommend weighing the risks.   I am very straightforward with my patients, I advise against them having such a procedure anywhere here in the Lakeside area. In speaking with a couple of the retired MD's that have practices NOB, they all have agreed with my stance.  It's always better to err on the safe side, I believe.

Are you suggesting that the people Dr. Leon brings into his office from NW GDL, and @ Maskeras clinic are risky to use for this procedure? Why would you discuss this with retired MD"s from NOB and why or how did you come to the conclusion that we at Lakeside are @ medical risk by using what we think are good MD's. comment by you Dr.s rather unsettling, as many of us dread the trip to GDL, now we are to fear incompetent MD's preying on us @ Lakeside?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:25 pm

What chapalamed says makes perfect sense and there are always risks in any procedures no matter how good the doctor is. You are way better off in a hospital than in some clinic at Lakeside.
Nothing to do with the competency of the doctor. Bad things can happen so why be 1 hour away from a hospital.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:34 pm

So why not list all procedures done at lakeside, that risks exist, that one should consider having done at a hospital in GDL?    And why? Most.....maybe just me..assume most tests are pretty much risk free when done in my MD'S office
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:37 pm

NO invasive procedure is safe.  Always have them done at a hospital in case something goes wrong.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:44 pm

That is exactly what an old boyfriend used to say and he was a cardiologist.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:24 pm

My read on this issue is many procedures done @ Lakeside should be done in Hospitals?
Being a non medically trained person, can someone list procedures done @ Lakeside, that one should give strong consideration to having done @ GDL Hospital?

TIA, Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next