INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Volaris - San Antonio

5 posters

Go down

Volaris - San Antonio Empty Volaris - San Antonio

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Without getting into all the controversy over what Volaris does and doesn't do correctly, they current have some very attractive fares to/from San Antonio, TX. I was just looking at two R/T fares in February for San Antonio - Guadalajara - $378.50 for TWO.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Volaris - San Antonio Empty Re: Volaris - San Antonio

Post by itsme Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Just flew to Mexico from there on the 12th and it was a great flight, much better than taking the bus I'm thinking. Quicker too and don't have to deal with getting home from the bus station.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Neil, when I search for Volaris flights to and from Phoenix, I get a selling site, showing aero Mexico with round trip prices. How does one get to Volaris site for prices, luggage info?

TIA
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Jim:

Use: http://volaris.com/
for the basic flight info & reservations.

To read up on the baggage policy, go to: http://volaris.com/en/prepare-your-trip/travel-information/pack-your-bags/checked-baggage/
From prior experience, it costs you the least if you purchase extra baggage allowance when purchasing your tickets and take note of the fact that you can purchase extra for each individual leg.  In our case we tend to travel within the allowance on our way down to Guadalajara but need the excess allowance on our way back up.  

There has been a fair amount of commotion and negative comments about the new service to/from Phoenix with Volaris changing actual flight times and not notifying reservations of the changes.  If I remember correctly, they have changed the Phoenix to Guadalajara flight to a red eye which I find to be hard on this older body!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks Neil, It looks like I can fly round trip, for approx. $400.00, driving is an EZ $1000.00. Think I can taxi and bus, save $600.00
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:34 pm

Jim:

I just had a new learning experience with Volaris. Talk about a la carte pricing! No matter where you wish to sit on the plane, they have a price for you and there is no such thing as a free seat choice - anywhere from $6 to $10 per person/per leg. Good luck figuring out the baggage procedure. Then do you want travel interruption or change insurance? I didn't even play the "playaboy game" with the on time guarantee.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:10 am

Yes tha tis true but you still save a bunch of money on the flight.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:21 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Jim:I just had a new learning experience with Volaris.  Talk about a la carte pricing!  No matter where you wish to sit on the plane, they have a price for you and there is no such thing as a free seat choice - anywhere from $6 to $10 per person/per leg.  Good luck figuring out the baggage procedure.  Then do you want travel interruption or change insurance?  I didn't even play the "playaboy game" with the on time guarantee.

Neil, Since I have been running cars north, on my return trips I frequently fly Volaris.  I pay the $3 and buy the on-time guarantee every time.  That's 3 bucks down for a $100 voucher if they are 30 minutes late? Very good odds in my opinion.  Even though it was a hassle getting the 2 vouchers last time, it hasn't always been that way.  

Now I have 2/$100 vouchers I will be using to get out of this cold weather lakeside and head off to warm Playa del Carmen.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:39 am

Playaboy:

You are probably right about making the $3 bet but at that point I was really fed up with all the add-on fees and the site kept trying to time me out.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:09 pm

I only make the bet. I never buy any of the other add-on fee's. Just skip them all. Make sure you are under the weight and size limits. That is the way to take advantage of their low fares.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:13 pm

Playaboy, You make a great point.......never thought about, but $3.00 to get a HUNDRED is a sweet bet! cheers bounce 
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:30 pm

Playaboy:

In theory, I might consider your approach to be correct, however I have to deal with the real world! Kathy considers any vehicle to be nothing more than an oversized shopping cart. So it is an absolute that we will fly back north with more weight than we flew south. New plan, I will pack my stuff in a medium sized suitcase and check that inside a much larger suitcase that will be well under the weight limits. I purchased extra baggage for myself on the return. My only requirement is that there is space for any additions to our tequila collection and she is free to fill the remaining space. Great way to keep peace in the family!

The only thing she doesn't realize is that I now have greater flexibility on the amount of tequila allowed since we are going through San Antonio instead of Phoenix or Las Vegas (both of whom can be quite restrictive)!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:06 pm

Neil, that's what we did the first trip to Tokyo! Had multiple suitcases inside each other......going thru customs they called random names to claim luggage, and were shocked when suitcases were opened....LMAO. This was back in 1975, while working for NCR....good old National Cash Register......on a corporate trip.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:33 pm

You mean that NCR didn't have enough pull to have their "very own customs inspectors"? EXXON always had someone on the payroll to take care of the details (wink-wink) and clearing customs in a foreign country was generally a piece of cake. Then again, we still had to deal with US Customs at some point!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:07 pm

No, but the expression on the inspectors face was "PRICELESS"! Neil, the Japanese are a great social, cordial, respectful people......loved the hospitality.......albeit not Cuba, but , I have enjoyed every trip....loved Kyoto most!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:38 am

Neil, something to consider when adding to your tequila collection.

I haven't flown into Texas from Mexico recently. I do drive in and when declaring booze you are sent to a little building to pay the Texas liquor tax.  It has to be paid even if you are in transit to your home State.  

Here is more info.

BS Texas Booze Tax

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:03 am

Playaboy:
Thank you for the link! Because of the shear weight, I doubt we will be exceeding the one gallon per person allowed.

Now for another mystery: I received an email from Volaris titled: "Esta navidad la sorpresa eres tú. / You will be the surprise this Christmas"
Apparently, this is an electronic credit for $500MXN that can be applied to the base rate for travel between Feb. 4th and March 31st. I haven't tried figure out if I can apply to our already booked trip or just what I can use it for.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down