INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Types of chorizo

+6
martygraw
Zedinmexico
viajero
CanuckBob
hockables
ComputerGuy
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Types of chorizo Empty Types of chorizo

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:34 pm

My first wonderful experience with chorizo came as an ingredient on my first pizza in Mexico, in a little place across from a hotel in Ajijic, near the plaza (can you guess?). I'd never had it before... it was SO much better than a lot of sausage toppings I've had over the years.

Lately I have been buying various brands to see which ones I might like the best. Most of the commercially-available stuff is awful; many have too much red dye, too much fat, not enough flavour. I rate Capistrano the best; Bafar next, and at the bottom, Zwan.

So I picked up some of Cesar's Mexican chorizo at Tony's this week. Outasight. Best one yet, by far. At about 12 pesos for two links, I won't bother testing any more.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Types of chorizo Empty Re: Types of chorizo

Post by hockables Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:42 pm

HelperGuy wrote:My first wonderful experience with chorizo came as an ingredient on my first pizza in Mexico, in a little place across from a hotel in Ajijic, near the plaza (can you guess?). I'd never had it before... it was SO much better than a lot of sausage toppings I've had over the years.

Lately I have been buying various brands to see which ones I might like the best. Most of the commercially-available stuff is awful; many have too much red dye, too much fat, not enough flavour. I rate Capistrano the best; Bafar next, and at the bottom, Zwan.

So I picked up some of Cesar's Mexican chorizo at Tony's this week. Outasight. Best one yet, by far. At about 12 pesos for two links, I won't bother testing any more.

Tony's also sells The Best Bacon Lakeside... try it Beer
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Does he? In that case, I will... the bacon I get at CostCo barely cuts it for this Canuck.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Tony's also has the best flour tortilla's in town too.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:50 pm

The Corona and Nayar brands aren't bad,Corona seems less fatty,but there are lots of chorizo caseros that are good.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:53 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Does he? In that case, I will... the bacon I get at CostCo barely cuts it for this Canuck.
"Canadian Bacon"doesn't cut it at all for this Yank,I can't understand why you folks even refer to it as bacon.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:57 pm

viajero wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:Does he? In that case, I will... the bacon I get at CostCo barely cuts it for this Canuck.
"Canadian Bacon"doesn't cut it at all for this Yank,I can't understand why you folks even refer to it as bacon.
Doesn't cut it? Why? (Now, let's make sure we're talking about BACON, and not peameal or back or any of that other stuff that Americans think we wallow in...)

Types of chorizo 3716489479_ec404f2a4e_o

Last edited by HelperGuy on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:04 pm

Well I'll be damned!That sure looks like real bacon to me,not like Canadian bacon. Very Happy

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Chris is talk'n bout Back Bacon....

We all huddle round in the Igloo... pass'n the Back Bacon dipped in Maple Syrup....
Drink'n Rye Whiskey and tell'n Hunt'n & Fish'n stories... Snork

Chris... thatz all Bullshit... cept the Rye Whiskey.... that part wuz True
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:11 pm

You are referring to Canadian "back bacon" which is completely different. Geeesh didn't they teach you guys anything down there........jajajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:12 pm

Looks like you beat me to it Hocks.....
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:13 pm

hockables wrote:Chris is talk'n bout Back Bacon....

We all huddle round in the Igloo... pass'n the Back Bacon dipped in Maple Syrup....
Drink'n Rye Whiskey and tell'n Hunt'n & Fish'n stories... Snork
Sounds great to me Hocks!Do you also share your wives with visitors like the Inuit do?

Last edited by viajero on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:13 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Looks like you beat me to it Hocks.....

I got The Fastest Typing Finger ... eh

Last edited by hockables on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ... eh)
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:26 pm

CanuckBob wrote:You are referring to Canadian "back bacon" which is completely different. Geeesh didn't they teach you guys anything down there........jajajaja.
Bob,the fact is that I've learned more about Canada and Canadians from your board than I ever did in school. Thumbs up

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Well I am glad we could be of assistance.....eh.

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:47 pm

HelperGuy wrote:My first wonderful experience with chorizo came as an ingredient on my first pizza in Mexico, in a little place across from a hotel in Ajijic, near the plaza (can you guess?). I'd never had it before... it was SO much better than a lot of sausage toppings I've had over the years.

You forgot Fud usually the worst in my opinion.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:57 pm

hockables wrote:

Sorry there Hocks, OSO'S CREAMERIA in Jocotepec has by far the best bacon lakeside. And the price isn't bad either.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:01 pm

CanuckBob wrote:You are referring to Canadian "back bacon" which is completely different. Geeesh didn't they teach you guys anything down there........jajajaja.

I think the Mackenzie Brothers did an episode on that for us mericans on SCTV once.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:13 pm

martygraw wrote:
hockables wrote:

Sorry there Hocks, OSO'S CREAMERIA in Jocotepec has by far the best bacon lakeside. And the price isn't bad either.

OSO's CREAMERIA eh.... I'm putting them on my list of Places To See & People To Do....
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:You forgot Fud usually the worst in my opinion.Z
One would think so... except I didn't bother trying it. Anything with Fud on the label sucks big time. How can a company make processed meat even faker than it already is? Fud seems to know how.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:13 pm

martygraw wrote:Sorry there Hocks, OSO'S CREAMERIA in Jocotepec has by far the best bacon lakeside. And the price isn't bad either.

That is the absolute truth!!! Cannot be beat and so cheap it's practically free. Ask for it to be sliced #5 on the machine. mmmmm

The best chorizo I've ever had anywhere is the chorizo on the rebar smoked out at the 'smoked meat guy' place at the crucero outside of Joco. omg
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:24 pm

Trailrunner wrote:
martygraw wrote:Sorry there Hocks, OSO'S CREAMERIA in Jocotepec has by far the best bacon lakeside. And the price isn't bad either.

That is the absolute truth!!! Cannot be beat and so cheap it's practically free. Ask for it to be sliced #5 on the machine. mmmmm

The best chorizo I've ever had anywhere is the chorizo on the rebar smoked out at the 'smoked meat guy' place at the crucero outside of Joco. omg

Is that the BarBQ place across the highway south of town...?
Thatz Good BarBQ!! Place looks like a Welding Shop... but Thatz Good BarBQ!! Beer
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by conbtrarian Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:16 am

The best chorizo is from its country of origin: Spain. The Spanish use smoked and dried red peppers, which gives the sausage that smoky flavor and red coloring. (The Mexicans use chili peppers instead, which produce a completely different flavor.) As for varieties, in Spain there are two basic types: a fattier chorizo for cooking and a leaner, harder chorizo for snacking on (say, at tapas bars.) My wife has been able to find good chorizo, imported from Spain, at Costco.

conbtrarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:16 am

conbtrarian wrote:The best chorizo is from its country of origin: Spain. The Spanish use smoked and dried red peppers, which gives the sausage that smoky flavor and red coloring. (The Mexicans use chili peppers instead, which produce a completely different flavor.) As for varieties, in Spain there are two basic types: a fattier chorizo for cooking and a leaner, harder chorizo for snacking on (say, at tapas bars.) My wife has been able to find good chorizo, imported from Spain, at Costco.
right on! especially the dry which is very similar to hungarian that i used to have brought down from my fave smoke house in edmonton. no need now,as wally world right here carries 2 brands from spain. one drier than the other. no need to go to costco either. once in a while soriana will have one as well.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by conbtrarian Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks for the tip regarding Spanish chorizo at Walmart.

conbtrarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next