INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New family member

+19
kipissippi
hockables
espíritu del lago
Jim W
Lady Otter Latté
mattoleriver
CheenaGringo
Chapalagringa
viajero
CHILLIN
elehne1
brigitte
seisdedos
Pedro
Ccsjc
slainte39
ferret
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

New family member - Page 2 Empty Re: New family member

Post by ferret Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:19 am

seisdedos wrote:
ferret wrote:

And humans are responsible for 100% of the fatal attacks on humans in the entire world over all centuries.

Besides being wrong, is there a point to that?

The point was that not all humans kill and not all dogs of a particular breed kill. There is something wrong with their wiring.
I would be devastated if I was the owner of a dog that attacked. I have taken a stick to a German Shephard (actually two) who tried to eat my Yorkie for lunch. But, I have known other German Shepherds and Dobies who were the biggest pussies in the world.
Perhaps inbreeding causes the problem. Quien sabe?
Too broad a brush being used to paint any one breed for behaviour problems...same goes with humans.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:31 am

ferret wrote:
seisdedos wrote:
ferret wrote:

And humans are responsible for 100% of the fatal attacks on humans in the entire world over all centuries.

Besides being wrong, is there a point to that?

The point was that not all humans kill and not all dogs of a particular breed kill. There is something wrong with their wiring.
I would be devastated if I was the owner of a dog that attacked. I have taken a stick to a German Shephard (actually two) who tried to eat my Yorkie for lunch. But, I have known other German Shepherds and Dobies who were the biggest pussies in the world.
Perhaps inbreeding causes the problem. Quien sabe?
Too broad a brush being used to paint any one breed for behaviour problems...same goes with humans.

Sorry, but the stats show the breed to be the most aggressive. And the one most likely to attack unprovoked.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:02 pm

Well this debate is like debating over guns. All guns have the potential to kill in the wrong hands or if handled improperly and some guns will do far more damage than others. No sense carrying on here......you either like and believe in pitbulls or you don't. I have owned one before and it was the best dog I ever had. It was socialized as a puppy with cats, other dogs, people and farm animals. I never rough housed with it much as a puppy. It never harmed a fly. I will agree that these dogs are aggresive by nature to other animals and they have to be properly socialized at an early age.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:39 pm

I'm another non-pitbull fan. You better warn your rentals about this dog - many will turn around and never come back. Better ask if your liability insurance will cover it too- they are always looking for an escape clause.

The fact is that Pit Bulls are the only breed I know that was bred to attack and kill other dogs.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:04 pm

You are being ridiculous. I wouldn't own a dog that showed any aggression towards a human. I am amazed you are in Mexico given the number of pitbulls around here and the bad press the country gets.

As for your other "fact" I suggest you do some googling.......

Here's a little something to get you started. http://www.bulldoginformation.com/fighting-dog-breeds.html
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:48 pm

The reason they are so feared in Canada, was that bad guys were using them as canine "land mines". They always chose pitties. Only one person would feed them and they were trained to attack and kill other dogs. They would be on usually rural properties and they build a maze to get to the main house. If the police were executing a search or arrest warrant, they always brought their dogs. The pit bull(s) would be released and viciously attack the police dogs. The police were powerless to prevent it - all they had was a dangerous dog on private property. They finally got the law changed a few years ago, and police, at their discretion, can shoot an attacking dog, as long as their search is in order. This also why so many cities and town have banned them, or require a muzzle and leash when in public. Sometimes these land mine dogs, or junk yard dogs, get out - then there is hell to pay

As far as Mexico - I have noticed that many more Mexicans are afraid of dogs. Many are still buying pit bulls but they think the dogs will guard their family and property by instinct alone. There is dog fighting in Mexico as well - there is a movie about it. It is supposed to be good - but I can't watch it.

If you want a guarding dog, have the puppy evaluated by a professional trainer - ideally someone active in Schutzhund training. They have a series of tests before spending the many 100's of hours (and dollars) it takes to train these elite guard dogs and canine athletes.

I was serious about your guests and insurance. Sorry, I thought I was helpful, not "ridiculous". So your dog has a pedigree?
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:52 pm

CHILLIN wrote: There is dog fighting in Mexico as well - there is a movie about it. It is supposed to be good - but I can't watch it.
If you're referring to the movie Amores Perros,it's not about dog fighting and it is a very good movie.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:19 pm

chapalagringa has dogs, one has advanced training from Wolf's Canine Military/Police school and is able to attack an armed man. Have a rotty sitting in the yard too. As long as bag guys think the way some of you do, chapalagringa is real happy :)

We've had pitbulls in class and hopefully, CB will socialize his better then they were. A lot has to do with the blood line. I'm sure if little blue decides to eat señor taco, well, they won't have señor taco anymore lol Really, we've got two working dog breeds and two toy breeds. As long as they're raised together and they know who the leader of the pack is, raw diet and all there shouldn't be any problems. Too many people really don't know what they're doing when it comes to dogs. CB isn't dumb, he'll make him behave. You don't have to like his dog and hopefully an intruder won't like him either :)

Btw, it's more than Schutzhund training. That's a game, there has to be cross/situational training to make them a real guard/protection dog. Also, it's very affordable to own a personal protection guard dog here in Mexico. When the Mexican government recommends you get a good guard dog to guard your home, they aren't talking about a wiener dog hehe

Last edited by Chapalagringa on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:22 pm

CHILLIN wrote:The reason they are so feared in Canada, was that bad guys were using them as canine "land mines". They always chose pitties. Only one person would feed them and they were trained to attack and kill other dogs. They would be on usually rural properties and they build a maze to get to the main house. If the police were executing a search or arrest warrant, they always brought their dogs. The pit bull(s) would be released and viciously attack the police dogs. The police were powerless to prevent it - all they had was a dangerous dog on private property. They finally got the law changed a few years ago, and police, at their discretion, can shoot an attacking dog, as long as their search is in order. This also why so many cities and town have banned them, or require a muzzle and leash when in public. Sometimes these land mine dogs, or junk yard dogs, get out - then there is hell to pay

As far as Mexico - I have noticed that many more Mexicans are afraid of dogs. Many are still buying pit bulls but they think the dogs will guard their family and property by instinct alone. There is dog fighting in Mexico as well - there is a movie about it. It is supposed to be good - but I can't watch it.

If you want a guarding dog, have the puppy evaluated by a professional trainer - ideally someone active in Schutzhund training. They have a series of tests before spending the many 100's of hours (and dollars) it takes to train these elite guard dogs and canine athletes.

I was serious about your guests and insurance. Sorry, I thought I was helpful, not "ridiculous". So your dog has a pedigree?

Sorry I can't take any of it seriously as I don't think you have any experience with Pitbulls other than what you may have read in the media. I can make any large breed dog vicious. Have you ever owned a pitbull or had any personal experiences with any? If not I suggest more research before making ridiculous comments about visitors to my property. Google a Russian mountain dog if you really want to see a ferocious beast.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:55 pm

There IS something to be said about having insurance to cover dog bites. Not referring to you, CB, just saying, and you probably can't get it down here anyway.

I was insured when my mom was attacked by my Akita and the insurance company paid her $55,000 which covered what her health insurance didn't cover and some extra.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Well good luck with a lawsuit of any sort in Mexico. We all know how that works.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:33 pm

CB:

Have you ever had this much second guessing and unsolicited advice or opinions in your life?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:11 pm

Here ya go CBOB. Enjoy your new pup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=asci_eoMFLo

George
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:28 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:CB:

Have you ever had this much second guessing and unsolicited advice or opinions in your life?

hahahaha He knew what he was getting into. Anyone who utters a peep on any webboard is up for grabs. That's the deal, and he knows that. hahaha
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:31 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Well good luck with a lawsuit of any sort in Mexico. We all know how that works.

Don't scoff. Lawsuits are won and lost here everyday. Although punitive damages per se don't exist, there are cases where the awards to amount to a large sum.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:32 pm

CBob, congratulations on the newest member of your family. Rosie is a beautiful little girl. I am sure you will all have a great time together.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:chapalagringa has dogs, one has advanced training from Wolf's Canine Military/Police school and is able to attack an armed man. Have a rotty sitting in the yard too. As long as bag guys think the way some of you do, chapalagringa is real happy :)

We've had pitbulls in class and hopefully, CB will socialize his better then they were. A lot has to do with the blood line. I'm sure if little blue decides to eat señor taco, well, they won't have señor taco anymore lol Really, we've got two working dog breeds and two toy breeds. As long as they're raised together and they know who the leader of the pack is, raw diet and all there shouldn't be any problems. Too many people really don't know what they're doing when it comes to dogs. CB isn't dumb, he'll make him behave. You don't have to like his dog and hopefully an intruder won't like him either :)

Btw, it's more than Schutzhund training. That's .a game, there has to be cross/situational training to make them a real guard/protection dog. Also, it's very affordable to own a personal protection guard dog here in Mexico. When the Mexican government recommends you get a good guard dog to guard your home, they aren't talking about a wiener dog hehe

If the bad guys believe you have what they want, they WILL make a plan and get it. Dogs are a deterrent, however, Using wasp spray to the eyes of a dog or human yield blindness, some times permanent. Guns also work well....a perp that is committed to breaking into your compound, will succeed Sadly, sometimes paranoia can create a false sense of security! Good luck, Smokealot BTW, we have lived here for 7 years, never an attempted break in.....You on the other hand.....they know where the money is....LOL

Last edited by Jim W on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:47 pm

IMO, the day that a human claims to fully understand a dog and claim to have full control over one - they have the potential to be doomed. In a previous life, I was given a 215lb Saint Bernard. Not only did he hate cats but he was extremely protective of me when other dogs were around me. If I was present, another dog was in dangerous territory but he was never in any type of "kill mode". It was more of a "I will hold him now and it is your decision where we go from here". On the other hand, when I took him to a dog show, I didn't even need a leash since he pranced around the show like "King Tut"!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:13 pm

Jim W wrote:

If the bad guys believe you have what they want, they WILL make a plan and get it. Dogs are a deterrent, however, Using wasp spray to the eyes of a dog or human yield blindness, some times permanent. Guns also work well....a perp that is committed to breaking into your compound, will succeed Sadly, sometimes paranoia can create a false sense of security!

Kind of reminds me of the French and the Maginot Line.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:17 pm

YA THINK?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:17 pm

mattoleriver wrote:Here ya go CBOB. Enjoy your new pup.

George

Awesome video however I must have missed the part where he killed all the kids, houseguests and other dogs cause according to a few here that is all they do!!!
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:46 pm

CanuckBob wrote:

George

Awesome video however I must have missed the part where he killed all the kids, houseguests and other dogs cause according to a few here that is all they do!!!

What a crock of shit. Several of us have related our negative experiences with the breed. No one has said that is all they do nor all of them are vicious. But many of them are and the consequences in many people's opinion, including mine, aren't worth the risk. And the risk they pose to others outweighs people's capriciousness in owning them in our opinion.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2012.php
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:53 pm

no doubt, pitbulls are cool

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 am

seisdedos wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:

George

What a crock of shit. Several of us have related our negative experiences with the breed. No one has said that is all they do nor all of them are vicious. But many of them are and the consequences in many people's opinion, including mine, aren't worth the risk. And the risk they pose to others outweighs people's capriciousness in owning them in our opinion.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2012.php

That crock of shit is in your oven. When someone states "I hate the breed and would kill them on sight if I could" they must feel all of them are bad. If not, that is quite the over reaction. No?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:48 am

Sounds like that to me. And anyone who would make a decision about ANYTHING based on the "opinions of others" is foolish at best.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:06 am

Not all of the polyps in your colon are bad but they remove them as a safety precaution. They can't tell which ones may turn cancerous. Better safe than sorry. How about letting the breed die out?
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next