INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was it the Peter Principle at work with New World Technology?

+13
gringal
lunateak
Zedinmexico
CanuckBob
slainte39
saege007
Smartalex
Lady Otter Latté
Rosa Venus
viajero
arbon
Trailrunner
Talosian
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Was it the Peter Principle at work with New World Technology? Empty Was it the Peter Principle at work with New World Technology?

Post by Talosian Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:43 pm

So NWT is closed with no indication that it moved, I'm wondering if it wasn't the victim of a second-cousin of the Peter Principle.

The original Peter Principle (shortened) says: ""Employees tend to rise to their level of incompetence."

I wonder if the closing ot NWT had to to with continually rising prices and lowering quality of service.

Of course the prices at Superlake are so far over the top, I can't see them, but it''s doing fine as far as I can tell. So believe me, I do respect the business-model of Superlake. I wish I ws as business smart as the owner.

Any thoughts/
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : All over the field.

Back to top Go down

Was it the Peter Principle at work with New World Technology? Empty Re: Was it the Peter Principle at work with New World Technology?

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Yeah, I do have thoughts! The prices at SL are not ALL so over the top. Friend and I went to see if they had specific health food items, same as she brought back from Canada and guess what! Not only did they have them, one of them was cheaper.

One of the items he didn't have, but Pancho took us in tow directly to the distributor for that item who just happened to be in the store. He took photos of the item with his phone, scanned the bar code, and said he'd have it in the store in 3 weeks.

Some of the items are pricey, so what, don't buy them. Many are not. Shop around or pay. Pancho does a terrific job. If it were not for him and SL, I would never be able to eat pasta or bread again.

I'm eternally grateful to Pancho and SL. And no, I don't buy all my food there, I shop tianguis, abarrotes, Tues market, surtidors, and SL for the good stuff.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Was it the Peter Principle at work with New World Technology? Empty Re: Was it the Peter Principle at work with New World Technology?

Post by arbon Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Talosian wrote:So NWT is closed with no indication that it moved, I'm wondering if it wasn't the victim of a second-cousin of the Peter Principle.

The original Peter Principle (shortened) says: ""Employees tend to rise to their level of incompetence."

I wonder if the closing ot NWT had to to with continually rising prices and lowering quality of service.

Of course the prices at Superlake are so far over the top, I can't see them, but it''s doing fine as far as I can tell. So believe me, I do respect the business-model of Superlake. I wish I ws as business smart as the owner.

Any thoughts/

Yes, how about you opening a "Safety Deposit Vault" at Lake side, you did prove a need.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Talosian Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:37 pm

I do have to say that Superlake is the only store I know that carries Bisquik and when I "need" it, I'm happy as a pig in poop that it's available and more than happy to pay 3X what it costs NOB.

My wife buys a package of Jello at SL for $29, I buy it at Soriana for $7.5. Same brand.

Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:47 pm

I dunno, Talosian, I think I need to see proof on the Jello claim. The Soriana brand is probably made in MX and the SL Jello is probably imported by a distributor from the US.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Talosian Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Trailrunner wrote:I dunno, Talosian, I think I need to see proof on the Jello claim. The Soriana brand is probably made in MX and the SL Jello is probably imported by a distributor from the US.

Both are J-E-L-L-0 (sing it if you want).

As far as I can tell, they both taste the same. I'll see if I remember to take a camera next time and prove my statement.

Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:57 pm

Read the fine print. Is it in Spanish or English? Hecho en Mexico? Made in the USA? Distributed by. . . .Guadalajara?

I did sing it, hahahaha, how can you not.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:59 pm

Jello?I thought that was for little kids.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Talosian Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:10 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Read the fine print. Is it in Spanish or English? Hecho en Mexico? Made in the USA? Distributed by. . . .Guadalajara?

I did sing it, hahahaha, how can you not.

Soriana = Made in Mexico and in Spanish.

Superlake = Doesn't say where made but it's fully in English and gives the company address in U.S.A. so I'm going to figure it's made in U.S.A.

Ingredients the same.

Made in Mexico price 1/4 of made in U.S.A. price.

Difference most likely is cost of production in MX vs. U.S. but I find it hard to believe/justify what must be a really high markup.

I also don't understand why some people will not buy the same name brand made in Mexico but will opt for the higher priced U.S. item of the same brand. Of course, I don't lose sleep over this question.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Think of all the gasoline it took to bring that little box down here to you and your wife, and all for a mere 29 pesos.

I rest my case.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:32 pm

Talosian wrote:So NWT is closed ...

Any thoughts/

I have one. What's "NWT"?
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Thank you, Rosa Venus. I had the same question.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:39 pm

Oh, just saw the headline. So, now I ask: What is New World Technology and what does it have to do with SuperLake?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:44 pm

BTW, I agree with Trailrunner about SuperLake prices and the great job that Pancho does. You want stuff hauled down from the U.S., pay the freight--and the handling and the import fees and the paperwork and.... If not, buy Mexican products or American products made in Mexico and save money. As for why some people will pay three times as much for "made in U.S.A", number one is they can afford to. Number two is probably they think that somehow it is "better" or made to higher U.S. standards or money just doesn´t mean anything to them and they do not even think about it. Anyway, it is their money so who cares?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:47 pm

AHHH jeeze, now I feel really stoopid. The "NWT" clue was hidden in the headline. Was it the Peter Principle at work with New World Technology? 477249

Somehow I got lost in the train of thot/
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:57 pm

I believe New World Technology was the name of the computer supply store in the Bugambilias complex. It's been closed for a few months. While open, they were a good source for parts when you needed to have something imported.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:00 am

Yeah, I know, RV. Me too.

Thanks, Smartalex, for the clue. Now, do you know what it has to do with Superlake or are we just free associating here?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:16 am

Here's another clue: Talosians come from outer space, in particular, Talos IV. So if you were asking, "What planet is this person from?'...well, now you know.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:37 am

I don't mind paying a higher price at SL on items that I cannot find anywhere else. I do, however, have issue with buying Costco items there at sometimes twice the price as they are at Costco. Now, Costco brings a shipment down to SL, and Costco has already paid the import and customs fees on that food. The markup on that stuff is ridiculous.

Other items, that is okay.
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:12 am

Don't shop around and compare prices...then it don't hurt as much. As my father told me " a fool and his money soon part" anyway, so what's the use of being careful.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:20 am

The only thing I buy at SL that I know comes from Costco is the kitty litter and it is about 50 pesos more than at Costco--not double. What products have you seen that are double?

Smartalex, Talos IV? Really?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:33 am

Yes, I believe Talosian's are the "bumhead" aliens from Star Trek.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:45 am

As far as what happened to NWT is I think they were evicted for not paying rent.
Papers on the door indicated legal Jalisco paperwork of some kind. I
am assuming eviction. I miss them very much living in Ajijic. Any other computer
stores in Ajijic I missed?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:51 am

CanuckBob wrote:Yes, I believe Talosian's are the "bumhead" aliens from Star Trek.

Remember the Tolosians are in the pilot for star trek with Captain Pike before he became disabled
with the cart with the three lights on the front that became a later episode. You get to see Spock
smile in the pilot. Gene R. wife is in the pilot also as first officer. She became Troys mother in TNG.

Geeky enough for ya........LOL

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:08 am

Interesting sidebar ~ the Talosians were all played by women actors with male voice overs. Not the only time Gene used this technique to portray aliens.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next