INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Restaurants closing

+13
slainte39
Texmexco
Pedro
coffeeguy
twelveoaks
K2tog
ComputerGuy
ferret
E-raq
CanuckBob
joec
gringal
artsnob
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Restaurants closing Empty Restaurants closing

Post by artsnob Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Is Hacienda Steak House still open, what about 60"s In Paradise..Any others closing??

artsnob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Restaurants closing Empty Re: Restaurants closing

Post by gringal Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:06 pm

the Score, just this week. Then there was Sugardaddy and new ownership of Two Spoons......

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:21 pm

artsnob wrote:Is Hacienda Steak House still open, what about 60"s In Paradise..Any others closing??

It's not Hacienda Steak House and hasn't been for over 2 months. It's Don Pedro taken over by Pedro Arellano the builder. I haven't seen hardly any cars there lately. I don't know how he can stay in business.

I heard, but don't know for sure 60's in Paradise is gone too. Gotta be too many burger joints!!! Ha,ha, ha, now if you could "really" find one that could come close to making a REAL burger. There's lottsa wannabees out there.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:04 pm

60s in Paradise is empty so I assume they are gone......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:26 pm

joec wrote:
artsnob wrote:Is Hacienda Steak House still open, what about 60"s In Paradise..Any others closing??

It's not Hacienda Steak House and hasn't been for over 2 months. It's Don Pedro taken over by Pedro Arellano the builder. I haven't seen hardly any cars there lately. I don't know how he can stay in business.

I heard, but don't know for sure 60's in Paradise is gone too. Gotta be too many burger joints!!! Ha,ha, ha, now if you could "really" find one that could come close to making a REAL burger. There's lottsa wannabees out there.

Pedro couldn't manage himself out of a paper bag.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:58 pm

The Secret Garden Restaurant is closed too. They do sell at the Tuesday market and other markets (but I don't know when or where).
They had a vacation from the Tuesday market but, I understand, they're back. Good thing too because I love their Manicotti.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Peter is trying to sell the Garden. And Laurie divested of the Paradise some time ago.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by K2tog Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:29 pm

Peter from Secret Garden is at the Friday market today selling things. He told me he is available for catering if anyone would like to use him.
K2tog
K2tog

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:09 pm

Waaaay too many restaurants, too much competition and the lack of owners who want to ensure that they are delivering quality for the money. It's possible that some people/visitors are eating out less and looking for the bargains, ie. eating at Comida time vs. Dinner time because it's cheaper.

there's about 75 restaurants at Lakeside and maybe 20 that might be worth eating at.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:10 pm

I see "The Score" is now called "Origins Tapas Bar".
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:29 pm

Already? Wow.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:55 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I see "The Score" is now called "Origins Tapas Bar".

Hmmm that's great, it's right within staggering distance of my new place in Villa Nova.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Restaurants closing Empty restaurant closings

Post by twelveoaks Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:15 am

joec wrote:Waaaay too many restaurants, too much competition and the lack of owners who want to ensure that they are delivering quality for the money. It's possible that some people/visitors are eating out less and looking for the bargains, ie. eating at Comida time vs. Dinner time because it's cheaper.

there's about 75 restaurants at Lakeside and maybe 20 that might be worth eating at.

John, I couldn't agree with you more ! We have been here a year now and go out to lunch and dinner at least once a week. My biggest complaint is consisentcy. One time the meal is very good and the next time equally bad. A major problem, in my opinion is the quality of kitchen staff and this sits directly on the shoulders of the owners. They seem to be incapable of keeping good people. We have narrowed our list of dependable restaurants down to about ten and it takes a really rave review to motivate us to try a new restaurant.

twelveoaks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:35 am

Just discussing with a friend yesterday over burritos, at the 24-hour burrito place on the highway to Guadalajara, how it has been so consistent over the years. The food staff always prepares them immaculately and always the same, super-speedy whether to eat in or take out. Delicious. The place is packed day and night.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:51 am

HelperGuy wrote:Just discussing with a friend yesterday over burritos, at the 24-hour burrito place on the highway to Guadalajara, how it has been so consistent over the years. The food staff always prepares them immaculately and always the same, super-speedy whether to eat in or take out. Delicious. The place is packed day and night.

It's packed because it's cheap and truckers eat there. Ate there once, NEVER again.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:53 am

twelveoaks wrote:
joec wrote:Waaaay too many restaurants, too much competition and the lack of owners who want to ensure that they are delivering quality for the money. It's possible that some people/visitors are eating out less and looking for the bargains, ie. eating at Comida time vs. Dinner time because it's cheaper.

John, I couldn't agree with you more ! We have been here a year now and go out to lunch and dinner at least once a week. My biggest complaint is consisentcy. One time the meal is very good and the next time equally bad. A major problem, in my opinion is the quality of kitchen staff and this sits directly on the shoulders of the owners. They seem to be incapable of keeping good people. We have narrowed our list of dependable restaurants down to about ten and it takes a really rave review to motivate us to try a new restaurant.

When you eat at one of your favorites, please post a review. I think the forum members would appreciate that.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:55 am

Everyone eats there. What, truckers have some kind of tastebud disorder? Perhaps you just don't like burritos, John. And it is reasonably priced, at $22.50 a burrito.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:01 am

HelperGuy wrote:Everyone eats there. What, truckers have some kind of tastebud disorder? Perhaps you just don't like burritos, John. And it is reasonably priced, at $22.50 a burrito.

Everyone is way to broad a term. Price has nothing to do with quality. I ate there 11 years ago with friends, but I don't like Mexican food, so that explains it. It's cafeteria style and I'm into freshly prepared to order food. It's a Mexican McDonalds and McD's serves crap and always will serve crap.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:09 am

But John, you disparaged the place because "it's cheap and truckers eat there", and now you are gracious enough to admit it's because you don't like Mexican food. So that's the real reason for your judgment.

But that's not THE opinion. If you go into the place, even on Friday at midnight, you too would say everyone eats there.

Your definition of "freshly-prepared" and mine differ greatly. They sell so much that the food is constantly coming out of the kitchen. It's as fresh as it's gonna be.

And I just realized you also now say "Price has nothing to do with quality", thereby proving my own point.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by coffeeguy Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:52 pm

I'm with you HelperGuy: Los Burritos de Moyahua is awesome (and contrary to what John says the food is very fresh and high-quality - as well as reasonably priced). They do an awesome business.

I just heard from a friend that Tacos el Rey in Chapala has closed - another loss. Don't know the status of Tacos El Compadre in Ajijic given the murder of the owner - it was one of the best taco place in Ajijic.

I agree with the comments about consistency. Places whose constent quality stand out for me (trying to include a range of gringo and Mexican food options): Tango of course, Tacos Don Vic (the best tacos de barbacoa I know of at Lakeside), Mario's in San Antonio, El Zapote in Chapala, Pollos El Amigo Don David (aka "Dusty Chicken" - the always-hopping grilled chicken place at Colon & the Carretera in San Antonio), The Early Bird Cafe (by far the best burger and the only good french fries I've had here), José's in Chapala, Ricky's Thai. No doubt there are many others.

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Jessica's Tacos are awesome after a late night at El Bar Co.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:30 am

Drove by Tacos El Compadre on Saturday night and it was jumping, but I didn't go in to see who's running it.

I must say the chicken wings at Junky Monkey are excellent. I always get the mild, not because of the heat factor, but because I like that particular drier crispiness over the usual BBQ and honey sauces. The original Buffalo Wings I had at a joint in Ottawa never used gooey sauces.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:39 am

Helperguy...have you tried the chicken wings at the BBQ place just east of Superlake? The Truper store is at the furthest east point of this small plaza with the BBQ place at the western end...green awning.
Those wings are so decadent that we limit them to once every couple of months. They are dry and crispy. Come with the dipping sauce of your choice, on the side. They also have green salad, potato salad and macaroni salad.
I don't care much for their roast chicken but their ribs are to die for too.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:50 am

Tony's chicken place? Oh, yeah. Mos def. Ever since he started doing chicken strips at the butchery, and he was always sold out. But even though those wings are deelish, I prefer the deep-fried variety with a rub over the bread-crumb (?) coating.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:08 am

HelperGuy wrote:Tony's chicken place? Oh, yeah. Mos def. Ever since he started doing chicken strips at the butchery, and he was always sold out. But even though those wings are deelish, I prefer the deep-fried variety with a rub over the bread-crumb (?) coating.

Yes, there chicken tastes good, but I'm concerned that it's fried in "unhealthy" fat.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next