INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Talavera Day of the Dead Products

+2
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
CheenaGringo
6 posters

Go down

New Talavera Day of the Dead Products Empty New Talavera Day of the Dead Products

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:36 pm

Since the Day of the Dead festivities are right around the corner, I thought I would share some new Talavera style products from the Gerado Garcia Studio in Dolores Hidalgo. There are a number of shops in both Tlaquepaque and Tonala that carry Gerado's work and I would guess some of this product may already be in their shops.
[img]New Talavera Day of the Dead Products Imagen10[/img]
[img]New Talavera Day of the Dead Products Imagen11[/img]
[img]New Talavera Day of the Dead Products Imagen12[/img]
[img]New Talavera Day of the Dead Products Imagen13[/img]
[img]New Talavera Day of the Dead Products Imagen14[/img]
Slideshow: https://picasaweb.google.com/118146709599975173363/NEWTALAVERACATRINAS?authkey=Gv1sRgCIfPxYKsn-CcuwE#slideshow/5795208404689783426

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New Talavera Day of the Dead Products Empty Re: New Talavera Day of the Dead Products

Post by Trevor "poncho" Armstrong Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:55 am

those are great!! my wife loves those.
Trevor
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : sarcastic s.o.b

Back to top Go down

New Talavera Day of the Dead Products Empty Re: New Talavera Day of the Dead Products

Post by johninajijic Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:18 am

Trevor "poncho" Armstrong wrote:those are great!! my wife loves those.

Beautiful works of art. They look like some women who post here. ROTFLMAO
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:10 pm

Since these come out of a "production studio" in Dolores Hidalgo, I cannot really classify them as works of art. The traditional clay Catrinas produced in Michoacan, Oaxaca and a couple other areas are pretty much one of a kind that reflect the intentions, interpretations and talents of the individual artists. The overriding problem with the traditional style is that they are so darned fragile and a real challenge to transport.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:49 pm

As a following up to my previous statements, I am posting two photos of more traditional Catrinas:
[img]New Talavera Day of the Dead Products Dscn4513[/img]
[img]New Talavera Day of the Dead Products Dscn4514[/img]

These two happen to be two that Kathy purchased during our visit to Capula, Michoacan in August. They both show the talent it takes to create a work of art and the differential in hand work that goes into these pieces. The top one was $150MXN and the other was $180MXN. Please look closely at the section one for all the detailing achieved through raised features.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:50 pm

I love Catrina's...they truly are works of art. If anyone is out and about in Ajijic, my favourite is in Diana's at the corner of Ocampo and Colon. High on a shelf behind the cash...a Catrina posing with a leg showing thigh high in a split skirt and holding, in one hand, a cigarette and the other hand palm up as if it could easily hold a martini glass. Love that Catrina because it's so saucy.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:34 am

CheenaGringo wrote:As a following up to my previous statements, I am posting two photos of more traditional Catrinas:

These two happen to be two that Kathy purchased during our visit to Capula, Michoacan in August. They both show the talent it takes to create a work of art and the differential in hand work that goes into these pieces. The top one was $150MXN and the other was $180MXN. Please look closely at the section one for all the detailing achieved through raised features.

Where is Capula? Do they, or some shops there, specialize in these? Would love to find someplace that has a good selection of artistic, one-of-a-kind versions (we've seen the ones in Tonala). Hubby wants one for his birthday.

Thanks!
Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:38 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Since the Day of the Dead festivities are right around the corner, I thought I would share some new Talavera style products from the Gerado Garcia Studio in Dolores Hidalgo. There are a number of shops in both Tlaquepaque and Tonala that carry Gerado's work and I would guess some of this product may already be in their shops.
Is this studio local? I'm not very familiar with the area yet... can you tell me where Dolores Hidalgo is? Thanks!

hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:58 am

Heather:

Capula is in the State of Michoacan, off the NE corner of Lake Patzcuaro. If you check out the following link, you will see a map and other info:
http://www.insidelakeside.com/t5464-capula-michoacan

In addition to the Artisans Co-Op just as you enter town, there are at least a dozen studios and shops that specialize in Catrinas. Capula is conservatively a 4.5 to 6 hour drive from Lake Chapala depending on one's driving habits.

A word of caution: be well prepared to transport Catrinas from Capula in an upright position with plenty of padding and protection. These are quite fragile and do not travel well laying down!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:13 am

Heather:

The Garcia Studio is in Dolores Hidalgo in the State of Guanajuato:
[img]New Talavera Day of the Dead Products Dol10[/img]

Located about an equal distance from the Cities of Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende, it is a 5 to 6 hour drive from the Lake. As you can see from the slideshow which follows, when it comes to Talavera style pottery, Dolores Hidalgo has plenty to offer:
Slideshow: https://picasaweb.google.com/118146709599975173363/DOLORESHIDALGOGTOMEXICO?authkey=Gv1sRgCKvQzqyh3PTYGg#slideshow/5548739358540929970

As far as the Garcia style Catrinas go, I have seen them in at least four or five shops in both Tlaquepaque and Tonala.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:14 am

Thanks! Love the slideshow. REALLY want to go there now! We appreciate the warning about Catrina travel arrangements.
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:50 am

Those are good prices Neil,the"Arborles de la Vida" are pretty cool too.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:20 pm

Chris:

One of the reasons that the prices were so reasonable is that they were purchased at the Artisan's Co-Op that carries the works of probably 25 to 50 lesser known artists from around the area. Each artist is assigned times that they have to man the co-op on a rotating basis.

[img]New Talavera Day of the Dead Products Dscn4312[/img]

If one is into collecting the works of better known artists, one studio is right across the street from the co-op. Beautiful catrinas and definitely a step up in talent but we haven't purchased from there because at their prices we wanted to be really well prepared to pack and transport safely.

The "Arborles de la Vida" also have issues in transporting. While we do want one of these, it is going to be a real test getting one home in one piece, especially the pottery ones! We have see a few carved out of wood and may go that direction?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:29 pm

A message posted on the Michoacan message board:

"Capula, high in the mountains around Lake Patzcuaro,
is the artistic center for Dia de Muertos.
Sunday, October 21, is the opening of the second annual Feria Artesanal
de la Catrina, the Catrina Crafts Festival.

Look for this pueblo halfway between Morelia
and Patzcuaro. If you want the famous Day of the Dead "Catrina Dolls,"
they make the best. The Catrina
Festival remains open through Dia de Muertos, until November 2, 2012.

Watch the crowning of the La Reina de Muerto, Queen of the Dead, when the
Capula beauties compete in full Catrina makeup and the famous Catrina gowns. The living Catrina Dolls stroll the Festival,
posing for photos with the visitors.

Taste the treats from the indigenous food court, with local cooks making
Tarascan specialties like carnitas, corundas and uchepos, the sweet “pink”
tamales. For dessert, we devoured the
famous chongos zamoranos, from Zamora. Yum!

View the exhibits of many Capula artists, with booths set-up on the main street
into town. There is a special exhibition
of local artists, including Antiguo Xenguaro, with his famous skeletons and
artist Juan Torres with his catrinas of inspiration.

Visit the Crafts Co-Op, a gallery of the best of Capula's crafts, on the far
side of the Festival.

On the way out of town, turn left towards the cemetery. Cleaning and decorating has already
started. Don't miss the Alfareria
Capula, the beautiful Talavera tile workshop, in front of the cemetery and the
gallery of Juan Torres, to the right of the cemetery.

Remember to eat the skulls of the living and the bread of the dead.

More info: http://www.lakepatzcuaro.org/Capula.html

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down