INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talavera Shops - Dolores Hidalgo, GTO

2 posters

Go down

Talavera Shops - Dolores Hidalgo, GTO Empty Talavera Shops - Dolores Hidalgo, GTO

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:42 pm

In our early years of traveling to Mexico and decorating our home, we always thought that there was plenty of Talavera pottery to choose from in Guadalajara, Tlaquepaque and Tonala. We lived in this state of ignorance up until we visited Dolores Hidalgo in 2009 and were blown away not only by the many different styles but also by the size of the shops there. A very high percentage of the Talavera style pottery found around the country comes from the greater Dolores Hidalgo area with their 1000+ operating kilns.

Now for a bit of technical info: technically pottery from Dolores Hidalgo cannot be labeled/marked "Talavera". Talavera was introduced to Mexico by the Spanish during the 16th Century and centered in Puebla. Guilds were formed and the quality and styles regulated. In 1998, the Mexican Government stepped in and passed regulations that limit the marking/use of "Talavera" to certain certified workshops in Puebla. The most recent article that I read indicated that there are only nine certified workshops. If you wish to learn more, the following may be a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talavera_%28pottery%29

At any rate, if you have an interest in Talavera style pottery and tile but haven't had the opportunity or inclination, we would recommend highly a visit to Dolores Hidalgo aka the Birthplace of the Mexican Revolution. A brief disclaimer: since we haven't found a decent hotel or much variety in restaurants - we might suggest staying in either Guanajuato or San Miguel de Allende.

I put together a quick slideshow which I hope gives one an idea of the magnitude of the industry in this city and the size of some of their shops: https://picasaweb.google.com/118146709599975173363/TALAVERASHOPSDOLORESHIDALGOGTO#slideshow/5649662394381486130

[img]Talavera Shops - Dolores Hidalgo, GTO 218_5910[/img]

The above "Catrina" is a fairly new product that provides a more durable version of the traditional Day of the Dead Catrina. Since it is high fired and designed with removable hands and head, it doesn't have the transport durability problems found with the more traditional clay versions. This particular product is 59" tall and they even make a taller version. A dynamic display for any home!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Talavera Shops - Dolores Hidalgo, GTO Empty Re: Talavera Shops - Dolores Hidalgo, GTO

Post by CanuckBob Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Love that catrina CG. What is something like that worth?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Talavera Shops - Dolores Hidalgo, GTO Empty Re: Talavera Shops - Dolores Hidalgo, GTO

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:24 pm

Bob:

They range from 6.7" tall with a wholesale cost of approx of $7USD to 6'6" with a wholesale cost of approx $420USD at the current exchange rate of about $12.5. Each model has three or more different design options. Since we are setup to purchase directly from the one company that makes these, I am quoting our actual costs for exporting. We saw these in numerous shops in Dolores Hidalgo, Tlaquepaque and Tonala and with the exception of Tlaquepaque, I felt that the markup stores were taking were fair.

Now if you want a "low maintenance" pair of dogs:[img]Talavera Shops - Dolores Hidalgo, GTO 210a10[/img]

Or a very quiet burro:
[img]Talavera Shops - Dolores Hidalgo, GTO 242a10[/img]

When I get time after I process the 2600+ photos that I took, I will try and put together a slideshow of the many styles from this artisan.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:09 am

I just threw together a slideshow which shows many of the styles and in most cases gives the sizes:
https://picasaweb.google.com/118146709599975173363/TALAVERADAYOfTHEDEADDOLORESHIDALGOGTO#slideshow/5650355517085772338

[img]Talavera Shops - Dolores Hidalgo, GTO Sk02te10[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down