INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbies in Mexico Medical expectation

+15
Frijoles
Trailrunner
hockables
slainte39
joec
Phydgit
Dr. Sam Thelin
David
little italy
CanuckBob
johninajijic
E-raq
ferret
CheenaGringo
Jim W
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Newbies in Mexico Medical expectation - Page 2 Empty Re: Newbies in Mexico Medical expectation

Post by E-raq Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:12 pm

John, for your information, and that of any moderators reading this I consider an attack on my intelligence a personal attack.

The comment that since you are not a Canadian, therefore have no direct knowledge was not, it was an observation, and a correct one I might add. Your friendship with 3 Canadians notwithstanding.

As to hijacking, I think you were at least partially to blame, as you are here.

Cease and desist or I will lodge a formal complaint, something which I have never done on any web board, especially this one. Consider yourself warned.

E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Newbies in Mexico Medical expectation - Page 2 Empty Re: Newbies in Mexico Medical expectation

Post by David Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:30 pm

ferret wrote:FYI, a CAT scan cost 9,000 pesos in Guadalajara...July of this year.

I just had one at Tolsa Lab one of the largest most well-equipped labs in Guadalajara: Total cost $4500 Pesos.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:47 pm

David wrote:
ferret wrote:FYI, a CAT scan cost 9,000 pesos in Guadalajara...July of this year.

I just had one at Tolsa Lab one of the largest most well-equipped labs in Guadalajara: Total cost $4500 Pesos.

Yes, I can attest that Tolsa is pretty darned good, and so is the price, always.

Dei, has the more open type of MRI, for those people who get a bit claustrophobic. FWIW. Maybe Tolsa does too now, haven't been there in a few years.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:05 pm

Yep, Tolsa has the latest and greatest machine and a great radiologist.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:09 pm

David wrote:Yep, Tolsa has the latest and greatest machine and a great radiologist.

No kidding the radiologist is absolutely top notch. We'll be returning, the big guy needs some stuff done. MRI and a check of his aorta, maybe an ultrasound.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Jim, you have a good idea, if only you were in another country. You need to consider the fact that Mexico follows, well, Mexican laws - not USA laws, and not Canadian laws.

In the USA, the Red Cross does mostly blood bank and training. They do not have emergency clinics like in Mexico and much of the rest of the world for legal reasons. The Red Cross does not do blood banks in Mexico for the same reasons.

To answer your question simply as to why we do not have a blood bank here in the Cruz Roja - Chapala, it would be stupid. How much does a blood bank cost? The refrigerator, the lab, the centerfuges, the 24-hour CFB (worker), the endless supply of qualified donations of the specific type of blood needed. Then the legal liability...
What does it pay to sell blood? In Mexico, it is illegal to sell blood. Thus, we would spend around $400,000 usd, plus the cost of operation to make $0.00 x 0 = $0 And still probably not have the blood you needed when you needed it. In fact, in my many hours helping in a private blood bank in Guadalajara, I saw that all the private hospitals in Guadalajara that had blood banks inter-trade blood to have what they need, when they need it. By the way, they have blood banks because they need blood in order to make money on surgeries, etc. The Red Cross in Chapala would have no such way of recuperating costs because we do not have an operating room.

Sorry to say that your plan to save us finacially will not work.

Jim W wrote:I met with Cruz Rojo six months ago, asking why, they spent so much time begging for $, and why they weren't addressing blood issues @ Lakeside. They said there was tooo much on their plate keeping Ambulance service running! I suggested that they should consider becomming a certified blood bank, as part of a 5 year plan! Once certified, their financial issue might be solved. I don't have clue about costs, however, I think this warrants investigation.

If any one wants to get envolved, please post em, or pm. One question I asked, since I am to old to donate for others, can I donate for myself.....no answer to date! According to my contacts, blood can't be imported.

I know this belongs under medical, however, I hope, everyone understands the risks/issues living in Mexico, medically speaking!

Lets get pro active!

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Phydgit Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:47 pm

People who are not Canadians, have never lived in Canada, and have never used the Canadian health care system have no business making negative comments.

Phydgit

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:22 pm

Dr. Sam Thelin wrote:Jim, you have a good idea, if only you were in another country. You need to consider the fact that Mexico follows, well, Mexican laws - not USA laws, and not Canadian laws.

In the USA, the Red Cross does mostly blood bank and training. They do not have emergency clinics like in Mexico and much of the rest of the world for legal reasons. The Red Cross does not do blood banks in Mexico for the same reasons.

To answer your question simply as to why we do not have a blood bank here in the Cruz Roja - Chapala, it would be stupid. How much does a blood bank cost? The refrigerator, the lab, the centerfuges, the 24-hour CFB (worker), the endless supply of qualified donations of the specific type of blood needed. Then the legal liability...
What does it pay to sell blood? In Mexico, it is illegal to sell blood. Thus, we would spend around $400,000 usd, plus the cost of operation to make $0.00 x 0 = $0 And still probably not have the blood you needed when you needed it. In fact, in my many hours helping in a private blood bank in Guadalajara, I saw that all the private hospitals in Guadalajara that had blood banks inter-trade blood to have what they need, when they need it. By the way, they have blood banks because they need blood in order to make money on surgeries, etc. The Red Cross in Chapala would have no such way of recuperating costs because we do not have an operating room.

Jim W wrote:I met with Cruz Rojo six months ago, asking why, they spent so much time begging for $, and why they weren't addressing blood issues @ Lakeside. They said there was tooo much on their plate keeping Ambulance service running! I suggested that they should consider becomming a certified blood bank, as part of a 5 year plan! Once certified, their financial issue might be solved. I don't have clue about costs, however, I think this warrants investigation.

If any one wants to get envolved, please post em, or pm. One question I asked, since I am to old to donate for others, can I donate for myself.....no answer to date! According to my contacts, blood can't be imported.

I know this belongs under medical, however, I hope, everyone understands the risks/issues living in Mexico, medically speaking!

Lets get pro active!

Good luck Dr., small thinking equals similar results! Jalisco needs more blood banks. Progressive action and a long term plan, can make it happen! As a successful business man, running multimillion dollar accounts...I know it can happen! In all fairness Dr., you and your medical group, NOB, have problems with proper billing and collections! You don't have a clue about a proper marketing plan! You have all of GDL to draw from, and 400k is a pittance...no offense intended! I know more about blood issues in Mexico than you give credit. Please PM, love to meet....a long term goal is good for Cruz Rojo.....getting past begging at Super Lake....lets put the assets to work. And Dr. Thelin, I don't appreciate your attitude calling my ideas "STUPID" I think MD"s are tunnel visioned....you fit the mold. Personally, wish you luck. BTW DR.SAM, Maybe You would gain more support by contacting people like me directly to enlist support, and revenue ideas, rather than a public forum debate....to coin a phrase from a poster, I am outa here, don't need your service, just trying to help expats.

Jim W

Best regards,

Jim W

Last edited by Jim W on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:25 pm

Phydgit wrote:People who are not Canadians, have never lived in Canada, and have never used the Canadian health care system have no business making negative comments.

What does this have to do with this thread!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:44 am

Jim W wrote:
Dr. Sam Thelin wrote:Jim, you have a good idea, if only you were in another country. You need to consider the fact that Mexico follows, well, Mexican laws - not USA laws, and not Canadian laws.

Lets get pro active!

Good luck Dr., small thinking equals similar results! Jalisco needs more blood banks. Progressive action and a long term plan, can make it happen! As a successful business man, running multimillion dollar accounts...I know it can happen! In all fairness Dr., you and your medical group, NOB, have problems with proper billing and collections! You don't have a clue about a proper marketing plan! You have all of GDL to draw from, and 400k is a pittance...no offense intended! I know more about blood issues in Mexico than you give credit. Please PM, love to meet....a long term goal is good for Cruz Rojo.....getting past begging at Super Lake....lets put the assets to work. And Dr. Thelin, I don't appreciate your attitude calling my ideas "STUPID" I think MD"s are tunnel visioned....you fit the mold. Personally, wish you luck. BTW DR.SAM, Maybe You would gain more support by contacting people like me directly to enlist support, and revenue ideas, rather than a public forum debate....to coin a phrase from a poster, I am outa here, don't need your service, just trying to help expats.

Jim W

Best regards,

Jim W

I agree with part of what you said. Someone please explain to me why it could not be profitable to set up a Blood Bank. Some people are very short sighted. If you paid people a modest amount to donate good blood and sold it for a GREAT profit doesn't that make sense? The US does it, why can't Mexico learn from the US?

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:14 am

Hey Jim, maybe you should just "cool it" for a few days in regard to what you just went and are going through.
Attacking these folks might make you feel better right now but in the long run, you'll want it back because of your decency genes.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:00 am

johninajijic wrote:

E Raq - The ONLY thing I said about Canadian health care was that there was a waiting period, sometimes too long. According to you, I don't know anthing about Canadian healthcare. WRONG AGAIN!!! I know what my three Canadian friends tell me and they are more intelligent than you ANYDAY. Peole like you who think they're always right are USUALLY WRONG. Stop your ridiculous PERSONAL ATTACKS!

This discussion was about what Newbies expect from Mexican healthcare, but you hijacked it and turned it into a discussion about Canadian healthcare. I could give a rats patootey about Canadian healthcare.[/quote]

Beer I've got 5 Canadian Friends who say your 3 Canadian Friends are Full O Shit!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:08 am

I guess it depends on who you talk to and their experience with Canadian Health care system. Further, they're paying thru the nose for it in high taxes.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:34 am

slainte39 wrote:Hey Jim, maybe you should just "cool it" for a few days in regard to what you just went and are going through.
Attacking these folks might make you feel better right now but in the long run, you'll want it back because of your decency genes.

You are correct Slainte, I apologize to Dr. Thelin. Blackeye

The issue of blood availability in Mexico has been a hot topic for me ever since we scrambled in search of qualified donors, while Tony sat in IMSS Hospital a while back.

Blood availability really hasn't been an issue in the Private hospitals. Big issue is IMSS requiring replacement units prior to surgery.
Sadly, since there are few blood drives in Jalisco, where prospective donors can volunteer, get in and out in an hour....more likely an all day deal. Maybe, once Mexican law changes, allowing students to be compensated for donations.....blood availability @ IMSS hospitals will become a non issue....until then, we continue to scramble in search of donations when asked.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:24 am

No need to apologize.

Blood is an issue, but the solution is not that simple. Blood and organs are not permitted for sale here for the obvious reasons. Your issue with IMSS blood is even more complex in that they require it as a condition for surgery, but often have actually rationed the permits to donate the blood... because the blood bank was full!

SSJ, however is working on making their blood bank interactive with other blood banks, and they do go to large companies to collect blood.

As for the idea of the Cruz Roja making money with a blood bank, my original opion still stands because we cannot sell blood. Regarding the other things, I will send you a private message.

You are correct Slainte, I apologize to Dr. Thelin. Blackeye

The issue of blood availability in Mexico has been a hot topic for me ever since we scrambled in search of qualified donors, while Tony sat in IMSS Hospital a while back.

Blood availability really hasn't been an issue in the Private hospitals. Big issue is IMSS requiring replacement units prior to surgery.
Sadly, since there are few blood drives in Jalisco, where prospective donors can volunteer, get in and out in an hour....more likely an all day deal. Maybe, once Mexican law changes, allowing students to be compensated for donations.....blood availability @ IMSS hospitals will become a non issue....until then, we continue to scramble in search of donations when asked.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

[/quote][i]

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:29 pm

I had the opportunity to meet with Dr. Thelin @ Cruz Rojo this morning. Dr. Thelin has a big job ahead of him, and once everyone @ Lakeside is aware of everything Cruz Rojo can handle medically speaking, you will probably make Cruz Rojo your first choice, rather than Maskeras or Ajijic Clinic.

I really enjoyed our meeting and believe that some very positive changes are in the works, to the benefit of all Lakeside Residents.

Jim W cheers
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks, Jim. It was very nice to meet and talk with you today.

You are very correct that there is a big job ahead, but it will be very worth the time and effort. A small part of the job is simply communicating information to everyone, and I will post what I can here, and in other places to do so.

I look forward to further exchanging ideas regarding the medical nature of Lakside. :)

Jim W wrote:I had the opportunity to meet with Dr. Thelin @ Cruz Rojo this morning. Dr. Thelin has a big job ahead of him, and once everyone @ Lakeside is aware of everything Cruz Rojo can handle medically speaking, you will probably make Cruz Rojo your first choice, rather than Maskeras or Ajijic Clinic.

I really enjoyed our meeting and believe that some very positive changes are in the works, to the benefit of all Lakeside Residents.

Jim W cheers

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks Dr. Thelin, if you have time could you fill us in with information regarding x-ray units and laboratory facilities.

Thank you in advance. This BTW is a very major problem lakeside, especially during extended holidays such as Christmas and Easter. Our M.D.s would like us to get tests done, however the facilities here are more than inadequate, IMO.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Sure. We have a very nice X-ray machine. It is one of only two digial units in the area. We can zoom, change the brightness, reverse the colors (shades of gray) to help visualize fractures, put the image on a CD, etc. What we lack is more power to better penetrate the soft tissue to see details in ribs and spinal column. We are working on trying to obtain a larger transformer (the current line one is only 42 kilovolt, and we need 112kv). This would be a large industrial one on the ground. It is a matter of buying one (money) or getting a new or used one donated. However, the unit works well, and has taken 1000s of X-rays, and served well for many emergencies. It is also always available 24 hours a day.

We do not have a laboratory. We want one, and there is someone that wants to put one in here. It is in discussion. The need exists. However, the number of our patients that would use it would be limited to mostly major trauma (to prove anemia from bleeding so they can be transported to Guadalajara for transfusion), and to basic uninalysis. It would have to have a large following by outside (other than Cruz Roja) late night and weekend patients to survive financially.

E-raq wrote:Thanks Dr. Thelin, if you have time could you fill us in with information regarding x-ray units and laboratory facilities.

Thank you in advance. This BTW is a very major problem lakeside, especially during extended holidays such as Christmas and Easter. Our M.D.s would like us to get tests done, however the facilities here are more than inadequate, IMO.

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:57 am

Jim W wrote:I had the opportunity to meet with Dr. Thelin @ Cruz Rojo this morning. Dr. Thelin has a big job ahead of him, and once everyone @ Lakeside is aware of everything Cruz Rojo can handle medically speaking, you will probably make Cruz Rojo your first choice, rather than Maskeras or Ajijic Clinic.

Jim W cheers

Thanks for this, Jim, you're correct. If all goes as planned, next year at this time Cruz Roja Chapala will be a major player in quality full spectrum health care lakeside.

The addition of Dr. Thelin as the Medical Director has been a huge shot in the arm for us (pun intended), his energy, dedication, and vision is exactly what we need.

One of the projects I am most excited about is the advanced cardiac intervention training that will start in April and will be taught by. . .Dr. Juan Pablo Loza! We all are in the process of designing it now and as it stands it will be divided into 5 parts: Cardiology Anatomy and Physiology, Pharmacology, EKG Rhythm Interpretation, Intervention Guidelines and Algorithms, and the testing process. It will be offered to all the doctors, nurses, and EMTs. You're hearing it for the first time now - breaking news.

Stay with us, support us, and we'll do everything we can to elevate the level of emergency medical care here at the lake.

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Frijoles Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:46 am

So, does anyone know how much dinero was raised for our local Cruz Roja through the Telmex match-your-donation campaign?
Frijoles
Frijoles
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Not yet. I am assuming (no proof though) that Slim, who is known to have extra ways to make money, may have slowed the release of money (maybe not on the books, because it was donated) so it can be in some short-term investment before it leaves... or maybe they really can just be that slow. It could also have gotten stalled in Guadalajara, but I doubt it. Either way, we do not have the amount nor the money yet.

Frijoles wrote:
So, does anyone know how much dinero was raised for our local Cruz Roja through the Telmex match-your-donation campaign?

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:18 pm

I saw a peso figure today, so it appears the money is real. Probably a week before we have it in hand. A member of the Consejo will be making a public statement in a few days.

Frijoles wrote:

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:49 am

Having spent a good portion of yesterday in the Hospital Real San Jose I will comment that this was the nicest, cleanest, most modern hospital I have ever been in. None of the hospitals in Vancouver even come close. The staff was extremely professional and friendly. Compared to my last hospital experience in Vancouver last summer this one was a delight. It would certainly be on my list as a hospital to get taken to in the event of an emergency. The only thing that surprised me a bit was the lack of English speaking staff as most in the medical field usually speak some English. The nurses all had their smart phones out and were using goggle translate much to everyone's amusement. They seemed to enjoy practicing their English while it gave me a chance to practice my crummy Spanish.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:10 am

Happy to hear that about that Hospital Real San Jose. It is one of the newer Hospitals in GDL. How was the pricing? It doesn't seem to get any press or is not talked about like Puerto de Hierro, Del Carmen or San Javier. I have personally been a patient in Del Carmen twice and it was nice, but no one spole English except for one of the major Administrators. I have been in San Javier to visit and it too is nice.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 am

I have no idea how the pricing was as I have nothing to compare it too. I know it was cheaper then flying back to Vancouver for another month to have the same procedure done.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next