INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best "steak" in town

+5
Admin
David
locogringo
CanuckBob
kipissippi
9 posters

Go down

Best  "steak" in town Empty Best "steak" in town

Post by kipissippi Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:51 pm

Had a few disappointments while we were there. La Trattoria...not sure on the spelling used to have the most insanely delicious steak I'd ever had, their steak Victoria. Last time we were down it wasn't as good...gave it one more chance this time..and it was decidedly bad..absolutely no flavor..and limp. The mushrooms were the only thing that had a taste. Our friend who ordered a pizza didn't get it till we were almost finished with our meals. What a shame and they've raised their prices. Tango just can't be beat. Their flap meat...wish they'd change the name! is unbeliveably delicious, tender and the flavor is beyond compare. It's so big that unless you're really hungry you'll be taking home a doggy bag. We also went to Hacienda and my husband had the fillet...much more expensive than the flap meat. We both agreed...it just didn't compare. Tango wins again!! The one thing good about the snowbirds not coming down in the usual numbers is that you can get a table without a reservation.

Kip
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Best  "steak" in town Empty Re: Best "steak" in town

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:08 am

I haven't tried that one. Our favorites are Armando's and Roberto's. Never had bad meal at either of these.

Cheers,

Bob
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by locogringo Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:01 am

Had a ribeye steak at Bruno's the other night that was quite possibly the best I've ever had. It was cooked perfectly (rojo) ablolutely wonderful. Leaving for Wa state tomorrow so won't be back to Bruno's for a while.
locogringo
locogringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:19 am

For my money the best steaks here are at Tango and Hacienda. BTW, "flap meat" is Vaccio. There's no similar cut NOB, therefor the unappetizing translation. Roberto's Steak Diane is pretty good too.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:35 am

I agree whole heartedly about Roberto's. Everything I've had so far there has been great. The Thai shrimp were out of this world. Their sunday brunch was terrific! Haven't tried Armando's yet, but will definitely give it a shot. What did you have that you would reccomend?

Kip
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:37 am

Cows up here have to have the same "parts"...right? So how would I go about getting that cut here?

Kip
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:46 am

Yes, I have had the steak Diane at Roberto's. It was good. I thought flap steak was arrachara. No?

Cheers,

Bob
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by locogringo Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:00 am

I was under the impression that Vaccio (Argentinian), flap steak, Arrechera (Mexican), are different names for what NOB would be called Skirt steak. If that is incorrect please, educate me.
locogringo
locogringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:03 am

OMG Bobby not even close! Although I like arachera too. That's why I wish they'd change the name. It's a huge THICK cut of meat with no bone, fat or gristle. Hugely tender and practically explodes in your mouth with flavor! I've never ANYWHERE had anything so good...and I love the fillet at Bruno's and Vicky's but Tango's great steak with the ugly name it really hard to beat.

Kip
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:09 am

Someone on another board had posted a list of great , but little known, Mexican places. You know the ones the locals know about but a lot of times us northerners are afraid to try? Kind of a "great Mexican food on the cheap" list. That would be fun to get that list started again. Everybody knows about "hole in the wall AKA the black door" or whatever you want to call it...but there are a ton of other's. Knowing which ones the locals use and are safe would be great.

Kip
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:13 am

Good idea. I'll try to get the list and put a stickey at the top. I also want to add the links for the maps and the weather, etc. Just need a few days to get it all adjusted right.

Admin
Admin
Admin
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

https://lakechapalainfo.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Best  "steak" in town Empty Arracherra vs. Vacio

Post by David Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:33 am

Arracherra is what we know as "skirt steak," or "flank steak" cut thin. Flank steak is from the abdominal muscles of the bovine. Vacio or "flap meat" is from the lower extension of the t-bone/porterhouse portion of the short loin, just above the flank. BTW, Vacio is pronounced, "BahSEEoh." Many restaurants around here have good Arracherra, it's a staple on the menu. However, only a few places have good NOB style steaks.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks for educating me on this. Now I can order the proper one.....jeje

Cheers,

Bob
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:44 pm

kipissippi wrote:Someone on another board had posted a list of great , but little known, Mexican places. You know the ones the locals know about but a lot of times us northerners are afraid to try? Kind of a "great Mexican food on the cheap" list. That would be fun to get that list started again. Everybody knows about "hole in the wall AKA the black door" or whatever you want to call it...but there are a ton of other's. Knowing which ones the locals use and are safe would be great.

Kip

Ther is a little know Mexican place called "El Kaminaro", it is located on top of the first hill as you get onto the 4 lane on the the road to Guadalajara thru Jocotepec. Turn left at the first returno. Their specialty is carne asada, all you can eat for 58 pesos. I would liken their carne asada to aracherra it is so tender.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gravy Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:41 pm

no argument with Tango but try Vicky's ( Bruno's daughter ) ,...filet and rib eye to die for and during the season ,great music with Brian James on sun, Lucky Dogs on Fri , and "los Requestos" ( a combining of the first two ) on Mon with mexican meal for 55 pesos ....note that a few of the above mentioned group members are going NOB for the summer and the music will change a bit ....even got Bikers so Pedro and the "gang" will have company
gravy
gravy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:02 pm

David wrote:For my money the best steaks here are at Tango and Hacienda. BTW, "flap meat" is Vaccio. There's no similar cut NOB, therefor the unappetizing translation. Roberto's Steak Diane is pretty good too.

I agree with you, David, although I will reverse the order on this one. Prefer Hacienda over Tango, Larger portion, just as good and I am a smoker, not allowed at Tango. The vacio at both is outstanding. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:14 pm

kipissippi wrote:Cows up here have to have the same "parts"...right? So how would I go about getting that cut here?

Kip

Are you talking about Vacio, aka "flap steak"? If so, flank steak, well marinated, should provide a similar experience.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Actually no; flank steak is Arracherra, muy differente. Both are good though.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:53 pm

David wrote:Actually no; flank steak is Arracherra, muy differente. Both are good though.

So enlighten me: What cut is the "vacio"?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:10 pm

See David's answer on page one of this thread for a definition.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:15 pm

Gracias "lunateak." BTW, Vacio has fat which the flank/skirt (Aracherra) doesn't, which make it more tender and flavorful. It's my favorite cut to order locally.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down