INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a Canadian vehicle

5 posters

Go down

Need a Canadian vehicle  Empty Need a Canadian vehicle

Post by MaggieL Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:19 am

I need to acquire a Canadian plated vehicle to drive back to Canada- thought it was worth a shot posting for ideas here too.

Any Canadians here who have a currently registered Canadian plated vehicle for sale? I would like to buy a vehicle to get me back to Canada with a load of personal items -- not enough for a shipment, but way too much to fly with.

If you have been thinking of getting a Mexican plated vehicle but are tied down to your Canadian vehicle, maybe we could work something out?

I am in a personal jam right now -- so grasping at straws, and .. you never know, it's worth a shot!

I would turn in your sticker and mail it back to you, and register the vehicle -- Alberta vehicle would prove there is a God and make it easy for me!

ALSO: I am a woman and will be driving alone, so I am looking for a reliable vehicle. I have a small convertible, Mexican plated, 2007 with 31,000 K that might be traded if you are looking to get a Mexican vehicle. (excellent shape, except for a dusty inside, because I always drive with top DOWN) I would love to take it with me, but it can't be imported NOB and I can't drive a Mex. vehicle in Canada.

MaggieL

Back to top Go down

Need a Canadian vehicle  Empty Re: Need a Canadian vehicle

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:34 am

Why can't it be imported NOB? It doesn't meet the Canadian standards? Just curious.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:48 am

They won't allow a Canadian to drive a Mexican plated vehicle....American... maybe...Mexican .. no way....

A non-resident Canadian can... but U must fill out all the forms for Non-residence and be out of country 6 months or more a year
have no propert in Canada, as well as a few other requirements...

I asked last April, as I thought I might like to drive home
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:03 am

But a Canadian cannot import a vehicle from Mexico???? I think they can according to the NAFTA agreement (as long as it passes Canadian inspection and standards).
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieL Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:17 am

CanuckBob wrote:But a Canadian cannot import a vehicle from Mexico???? I think they can according to the NAFTA agreement (as long as it passes Canadian inspection and standards).

As Hock said, a Canadian resident can't drive a foreign plated car in Canada.

As for importing it, I wish I could, but this one can't be, I checked. NO WAY ...

Sometimes a car can be 'brought up to standard' but some things (like factory installed child car seat anchors, or Daytime Running lights etc) can't.

MaggieL

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:52 am

CanuckBob wrote:But a Canadian cannot import a vehicle from Mexico???? I think they can according to the NAFTA agreement (as long as it passes Canadian inspection and standards).

I protested.... pointed out my Ford Escape was made in Kentucky.... pointed out NAFTA ....

They said Mexican Vehicle?

I said Yup...

They said Nope!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:27 pm

hockables wrote:

I protested.... pointed out my Ford Escape was made in Kentucky.... pointed out NAFTA ....

I said Yup...

They said Nope!!

Just because it is made in US doesn't mean it is a US/Can. spec vehicle thus the problem.
If it is a mexican spec. Escape I imagine it will not meet US/Can standards. Nothing
to do with NAFTA. Everything to do with emission/safety/crash and who knows what else
standards. Even the lights might be different as Canada requires daytime running lights
for example. US/Mexico does not require them. The Escape might even be the same vehicle
but Ford did not certify the vehicle for US/Can. means no go.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
hockables wrote:

I said Yup...

They said Nope!!

Just because it is made in US doesn't mean it is a US/Can. spec vehicle thus the problem.
If it is a mexican spec. Escape I imagine it will not meet US/Can standards. Nothing
to do with NAFTA. Everything to do with emission/safety/crash and who knows what else
standards. Even the lights might be different as Canada requires daytime running lights
for example.

Z

That was the point I was making... taken one step further...
You can Import American Cars... they need a few simple modifications....
Mexican Cars... No Modifying, No Importing.... period

There is a little more at play here... I suspect some politics....

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cosalamx Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:01 pm

There are government issued lists of approved vehicles that can be imported into either Canada or the United States. No vehicles manufactured for original sale in Mexico, regardless of where they are manufactured, are on either lists, so no vehicles manufactured for original sale in Mexico can be imported into either Canada or the United States. There are vehicles manufactured in Mexico for sale in the US or Canada, which are ok, but vehicles manufactured in the US, Canada, Mexico or elsewhere, for original sale in Mexico do not qualify. I suspect there isn't enough demand to cause changes to the lists.

Non-resident Canadians have no problem driving into Canada with a US or Mexican plated vehicle, but cannot leave it in Canada, nor can it be legally driven by Canadian residents.

cosalamx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down