INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water pressure.

+2
Rolly
Bartdude
6 posters

Go down

Water pressure. Empty Water pressure.

Post by Bartdude Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:56 am

Our tinaco on our single level home does not provide enough pressure for a decent shower. We've got into the habit of showering before 3:00 when the city turned off the water pressure, but lately the pressure has stopped earlier.
The house has no ajibe or pressure system and the tinco is at 3 meters to the bottom. Brad Grieve pointed out in his inspection that there was no standpipe in the line to the house and recommended installing at least one.
Will a standpipe make a substantial difference or should we be looking at a pump to increase the pressure to the house?
We would appreciate any advice.

Bartdude
Bartdude
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Almost nuthin better than a good laugh.

Back to top Go down

Water pressure. Empty Re: Water pressure.

Post by Rolly Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 am

You'll be happier with a pump. There is, however, a down side to a pressure pump-- if the tinaco runs dry, the pump will suck air which will destroy the pump. Be sure to install valves to bypass the pump in case of failure of the pump or electricity.

Water pressure. Plumbing--roof-2
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:18 am

look into installing ajibe... having your own pressure system is the way to go...
also gives you a reserve in times when community system might be down.
I'm sure you used one in Katepwa, so you know everything you need to about operating and maintenance.

the cost might surprise you, labour being so inexpensive there...

Rhory
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:20 am

Does your system automatically switch from street to tinaco pressure. If it does you should have pressure valves. That's what I have and sometimes have to bang on them to open tinaco flow (brass not plastic). Sand and minerals get into mine. Recently installed a double filter from the street
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartdude Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:20 pm

All good suggestions. Thanks

Rolly... I had already referred to your site and found your very useful information but a pressure pump is a last resort. We have sufficient supply almost all the time for laundry and dishes and city pressure is usually on for 9 hours a day. We only get caught occasionally.

Rhory... If we were building we would go with the pressure system but to add it now would be almost impossible. We do have a deep well and pressure system at our other home and I do all maintenance and repairs so am very familiar.

Sparks... Not sure about pressure valves. The system does switch automatically and there are 2 fittings in the line that I am not familiar with. Is the pressure valve installed in line with a nut on top at an angle? I have one of these on the outlet side before a shut off valve but assumed it was a check valve.

What about the standpipe Brad mentioned?

Thanks again.
Bart
Bartdude
Bartdude
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Yes it's a check valve but should stay closed when there is higher pressure and open for tinaco flow. Mine gets stuck either closed or partially open.

Standpipe? Maybe he means an air relief pipe. They would need a valve on top as well
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartdude Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanks Sparks... I'll try beating on it!

Bart
Bartdude
Bartdude
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm thinking about getting rid of my valve and just use my cistern to pump fill that tinaco. My tinaco is two stories up so I get good pressure when it works but too delicate and those valves are only good for a few years. Don't know what you find when you open with the nut since mine are pretty new

I have another on the way to the street that is supposed to stop your water from filling the city pipes when there is no water
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:20 pm

A cheap, quick fix might be to put a hose on your shower head and a truper garden nozzle on the other end of the hose. Instant pressure.
You will require an adapter (50 pesos or less) on the shower to connect a six foot piece of hose to it.
This is what we did in San Miguel when our tinaco sat only 10 feet above the shower. Provides instant power spray that gets the soap out of your hair in nanoseconds instead of minutes.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:24 pm

sparks wrote: I have another on the way to the street that is supposed to stop your water from filling the city pipes when there is no water

If your fill line enters the tinaco at the top and the float/cut-off valve is slightly above the full water level inside the tinaco, how does water flow backwards into the street lines?

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:42 pm

My fill line enters the system before the tank or I would not have street pressure in the house. It also fills the tinaco until shut off by the float ... and fills a second lower tinaco and cistern.

sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down