INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burgers - Beyond Meat

+7
BisbeeGal
Heidi Waldmann
annied
ferret
gringal
slainte39
ComputerGuy
11 posters

Go down

Burgers - Beyond Meat Empty Burgers - Beyond Meat

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:02 pm

A relatively new product through Costco: I've tried the Beyond Meat burger patties and they are amazingly like the real thing. On a burger with toppings, I can't tell the difference. Maybe a little bit in the texture, but if it was normal ground meat, I would blame that on the grind itself. At $408p for four 4-oz pattys, though, it isn't at all worth it unless you have a reason to only want veggie burgers. ($500 + at Gourmet Garage and Pancho's!).

Trying the fried patty by itself was no less surprising. I do notice just the merest hint of some kind of fat residue; these things are loaded with something, as you can see when you fry them up. They leak juice just like the real thing.

They may even be seasoned with something, because I added nothing, not even salt and pepper, until halfway through, and they tasted great.

A new product from Costco, the Kurshon Kosher Polish Beef Sausage ( https://www.lakeside-ss.com/tienda-online/Kurson-Kosher-Beef-Polish-Sausage-907g-p252357749) on the other hand, not very expensive, tastes a lot like a Fud weiner, perhaps the worst weiner in the world. Stick with the Kiolbassa brand Polish sausage instead. (I had an email chat with the owner of the company, to ask how did they get the company name Kiolbassa on a keilbasa sausage. Just the way it worked out, he said, lol.)
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Burgers - Beyond Meat Empty Re: Burgers - Beyond Meat

Post by slainte39 Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:10 pm

My vegetarian daughter totally agrees with your evaluation of Beyond Meat.  She has a family of five, in which four are total carnivores.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:49 am

Speaking of sausage, the completely junk free sausages being sold at the chicken place next to S&S auto are absolutely delicious!  My favorite is the Italian. Not vegetarian, however.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:09 am

Are these from The Sausage Brothers, or are they unlabelled?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:30 am

ComputerGuy wrote:Are these from The Sausage Brothers, or are they unlabelled?

The sign on the freezer says they are from the Berlin Sausage company, and names the ingredients.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:09 am

Okay, I know the ones. Also available at SuperLake and Gourmet Garage. All their stuff is quite good.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:26 am

I like the Berlin Sausage Italian style as well. Great on its own with melted cheese on a bun or cut into slices while frozen and added to spaghetti sauce. MMMmmmm good.

I would never pay 408/500 pesos for four pre-formed anything of vegetable origin. I can get a good hunk of beef filet for that. But then I'm a carnivore.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:52 am

They are also good in a larger tortilla with whatever extras you enjoy. My husband likes them with "hot dog" garnishes, like pickles and mustard.
Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:21 am

ferret wrote:I like the Berlin Sausage Italian style as well. Great on its own with melted cheese on a bun or cut into slices while frozen and added to spaghetti sauce. MMMmmmm good.

I would never pay 408/500 pesos for four pre-formed anything of vegetable origin. I can get a good hunk of beef filet for that. But then I'm a carnivore.

And I certainly won't again, but I was quite curious. Now, there are people who (oddly) don't agree with my own tastebuds, but for those who do, my reason for posting was to give them a "qualified" opinion so they don't have to spend the money to find out for themselves.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

gringal and ferret like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by annied Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:31 pm

We keep Beyond Burgers from Costco in our freezer.  My husband is a total carnivor and enjoys these for a meatless night dinner.
annied
annied

Humor : Easily amused

Back to top Go down

Post by Heidi Waldmann Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:11 pm

gringal wrote:
ComputerGuy wrote:Are these from The Sausage Brothers, or are they unlabelled?

The sign on the freezer says they are from the Berlin Sausage company, and names the ingredients.

Are these made of chicken? We used to use a lot of turkey Italian and breakfast sausages, but haven’t found that here yet.

Heidi Waldmann

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:23 am

The sausages referred to are made of pork sausage, origin.....PIGS.  Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:06 pm

annied wrote:We keep Beyond Burgers from Costco in our freezer.  My husband is a total carnivor and enjoys these for a meatless night dinner.

Will they hold up ok over a gas grill (as opposed to pan frying which CG mentioned)?
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by conejorapido Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:12 pm

I've barbecued 4 of them on my gas grill and they hold up extremely well. An excellent product as far as I'm concerned....if a little expensive.

conejorapido
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:01 am

ComputerGuy wrote:A relatively new product through Costco: I've tried the Beyond Meat burger patties and they are amazingly like the real thing. On a burger with toppings, I can't tell the difference. Maybe a little bit in the texture, but if it was normal ground meat, I would blame that on the grind itself. At $408p for four 4-oz pattys, though, it isn't at all worth it unless you have a reason to only want veggie burgers. ($500 + at Gourmet Garage and Pancho's!).

FYI, I just purchased Beyond Meat patties at Pancho's....to clarify, they were 555p for EIGHT 4-oz patties. Haven't tried yet.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:12 am

When you try them, I hope you'll give a taste report. You're a foodie and I trust your taste buds.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:11 am

$30 USD for 8 hamburger patties??? Ouch.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:31 am

I just ran a price check. In US at my former neighborhood Publix Market (sold in 2-pks) they are $5.89. So, $2.95 a burger. Here, 555/8 = $3.50 a burger which of course includes Pancho's mark-up.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:52 am

I’ve tried them several times and they are very tasty but my concern is that they seem very greasy.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:27 pm

BisbeeGal wrote: FYI, I just purchased Beyond Meat patties at Pancho's....to clarify, they were 555p for EIGHT 4-oz patties.  Haven't tried yet.  

Right, my bad. EIGHT patties, which makes it more reasonably priced. And 408p at Costco, so even better at 50p a patty.

Beyond Beef Costco
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:51 pm

We liked them. The meaty taste is there. I grilled them on a gas grill same as I would any other burger; there was a touch of flare-up (a good thing)...someone mentioned they were greasy and I can maybe see that if pan-fried, with no where for the drippings to go??

Definitely superior in texture and moisture than old-style veggie burgers; have had some very tasty black-bean burgers, etc., but they are no substitute for the taste or mouth-feel of meat, while these Beyond Burgers are.

Yes they are a bit pricey, but I won't eat rare ground beef in MX after 2 bad bouts of E.coli here. Eating well-done burgers just doesn't do it for me.

I buy ground pork or chicken for Asian burgers and also turn Italian (pork) sausages and lamb sausages (from Lilifher Deli) into burgers, but it was nice to get a blast of beef taste on a bun with the taste/juiciness of a rare hamburger.

BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusflower Sun May 09, 2021 8:45 pm

Hopefully the beyond meat burgers will get cheaper. They are certainly better for the planet, if that's any consolation. I don't think they are that much healthier than the real thing since the fat comes from coconut oil which is a saturated fat. Also they can be high in sodium, but they do have more fibre:

https://www.businessinsider.com/is-beyond-meat-healthy-nutritionists-say-yes-on-occasion-2019-6?r=MX&IR=T

lotusflower

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down