INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small fruit and veggie stores closing? Coincidence?

+7
Lady Otter Latté
brigitte
slainte39
Trailrunner
David
borderreiver
Clueless
11 posters

Go down

Small fruit and veggie stores closing? Coincidence? Empty Small fruit and veggie stores closing? Coincidence?

Post by Clueless Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Went away for 2-weeks and when I returned, I found the small fruit/veggie store near the bus station was closed; a few days later, I saw a "for rent sign on it. The woman who rant it was very, very nice and the merchandise was good and nicely priced.

Today in Ajijic, I saw the small fruit and veggies store, 2 doors east of Mia's was also closed. Then coming home, I noted that the small fruit/veggie seller that worked out of a truck across the main drag from the Monday market/Tiangias was gone.

Coincidence or ???

Last edited by Clueless on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix typo)
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Small fruit and veggie stores closing? Coincidence? Empty Re: Small fruit and veggie stores closing? Coincidence?

Post by borderreiver Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:25 pm

Went away for a year and upon my return a whole bunch of restos had closed, transformed, yadayada. Just Chilin is outa here. Coincidence ??? Maybe not.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Small fruit and veggie stores closing? Coincidence? Empty Re: Small fruit and veggie stores closing? Coincidence?

Post by Clueless Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:27 pm

borderreiver wrote:Went away for a year and upon my return a whole bunch of restos had closed, transformed, yadayada. Just Chilin is outa here. Coincidence ??? Maybe not.

What struck me was the lady we knew never said a word about closing/moving. I thought maybe there was some (new) law on something that closed them down.

I see the same thing as you said w/restaurants.

I thik that's often the case when prices are high and quality of not near the value to price, or both.

Look at Salvador's in Ajijic; it's been around forever; good prices, good food; good service and over the last few years, has raised the ambiance outside just enough to let the people that want enjoy the open air (and smoke I guess).
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:45 pm

Same thing with veggie vendors. BTW, the place next to Mia's has been closed for many months, not recently.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:35 pm

borderreiver wrote:Went away for a year and upon my return a whole bunch of restos had closed, transformed, yadayada. Just Chilin is outa here. Coincidence ??? Maybe not.

Not. Doncha think?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:19 pm

I have seen some print re Chapala demonstrations over street vendor licencing, permits, permit payments, corrupt officials collecting permit fees and absconding, blah, blah. The lady vendor in Chapala, maybe she'd had enough. Not much margin in fruit and veg. 40 % waste, etc. I do not envy small biz owners here. Support them if U can.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:12 am

borderreiver wrote:I have seen some print re Chapala demonstrations over street vendor licencing, permits, permit payments, corrupt officials collecting permit fees and absconding, blah, blah. The lady vendor in Chapala, maybe she'd had enough. Not much margin in fruit and veg. 40 % waste, etc. I do not envy small biz owners here. Support them if U can.

I almost always choose a local vendor over Soriana, Walmart, Superlake and/or El Torito. Not only do I believe the quality is as good or better, the prices are usually lower, and the people running these small places are usually "Mom and Pop" (and kids) so the money gets right into their hands.

My only exception are the tianguis vendors. While the prices are usually good, many won't let you pick and choose the items you want (say strawberries and grapes), and I have found several times that I have been short-weighted when the beam scales are used.

Your turn Lady.

Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:01 pm

SuperLake and El Torito are locally owned and operated, just larger operations than what I imagine you are referring to as, "Mom and Pop", but family members are involved and the money gets right into their hands.
Keep looking for the smallest abarrotes and spread the wealth around.  I remember when SuperLake was 3 or 4 meters of frontage and no walk into space.  It was Uncle, Pop, and Son.....no Mom. Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:03 pm

It all comes from the abastos so the quality depends on the fresness and turn over not on the provenance of the product..I also remember SL when they did not throw any old stuff out, when I first arrived I was appallled at teh quality of fruit and veggies there.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:34 pm

Thirty years ago, IF (and that's a big if) any abarrote threw anything out it would be picked and sold somewhere else. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:02 pm

My favorite neighborhood abbarote has a small selection of lovely fruits and vegetables. Not only is his produce nicer but prices are better than at Soriana. AND he carries my bags out to my car too.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by salvadors Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:20 pm

We found a little place on Guadaloupe (I think that is the name). It is on the mountain side somewhere one or two short blocks past Javier Mina. They keep brocolli and several other items in the fridge.

salvadors
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:55 pm

Guadaloupe is a French island not a street in Ajijic.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:50 am

Folks sometimes small businesses go away cause the government gets involved and they can't afford or even know how to be legal. 16% IVA tax, IIMS tax, Business license, income tax, union tax. Its an interesting experience to talk to a local business owner trying to be legal and what they have to do. Notice we have not even talked about local business blackmail from gangs (versus government gang and legal blackmail !!! :-)

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:31 am

Tis true. A common misconception is that it is easy to open a (legal) business in Mexico. With the latest crackdown on money laundering and tax collection it has become quite cumbersome and complicated for the "mom & pop" operations to collect taxes, produce facturas and remit to Hacienda's.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:26 am

and Hacienda can go into your account and check your accounts. It just happened to a friend of mine. No need for court order..

If you want to run a small business legally you need to get facturas for everything and that in itself is not easy. Think of getting a factura for all you buy all your expenses and good luk on that one.. If you have any kid helping you , you have to pay him as an empoyee and follow all the laws etc..not easy in a country where a lot of the economy is cash and underground..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:27 pm

And yet there are hundreds of small businesses in the Municipio of Chapala.  Just count the ones (shops, etc,) from one end of Madero to the other in Chapala, or Colon and adjoining streets in Ajijic.

Service and other businesses operating out of private residences.....much more underground.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ojalero Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:47 pm

I think that the libertarian element here are overstating what a "mom&pop" needs to do to be legal.
Ojalero
Ojalero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Paraprosdokian

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:26 pm

yes they are hundreds of small businesses so some people have it figured it out obviously ..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:40 am

Legally?? I doubt it. Try to figure out how to pay IIMS tax on your gardener or mini mistro for your house?? How do you pay 16% IVA tax on your rented furnished house?? Business license?? Income tax?? I know local business owners and they told me they use accountants/lawyers/notaries to do this. It use to be much easier to do small business accounting now it is hard. Most landlords will not give out facturas so if you rent you can't deduct the cost of rent so you are very limitied on where you can rent. I wouldn't run a legal business in Mexico because it is so hard to know what to do and where to do it and we are only talking about legal stuff. Can you imagine what it feels like (unless you grew up in NY or Chicago) to have some local gang demand money???

Doing business in Mexico is hard without help.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:01 am

Brigette never said " legally." She said they "have it figured out obviously."
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:37 am

Ummm. I think the extortionists are not 'local' gangs, if they came from Ajijic or Chapala they would be recognized. I think they come from the westend, south shore, and Michoacan and they don't play around.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:42 am

Most of my friends are indigenous and they do have accountants to pay the taxes and advise them. Some other are high up in the government and they never talk about having problems with taxes or money for that matter, I guess they have figured it out too...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:38 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Brigette never said " legally." She said they "have it figured out obviously."

Never said she did. See post above hers.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down