INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fundraiser for Union Ajijic soccer coach needing chemo

+6
Rosa Venus
gringal
zenwoodle
sambrit10
artsnob
Bill Phillips
10 posters

Go down

Fundraiser for Union Ajijic soccer coach needing chemo Empty Fundraiser for Union Ajijic soccer coach needing chemo

Post by TrueBrit Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:42 pm

One of the Union Ajijic trainers, Pancho, has cancer and needs chemo.  His son Arturo has organized a Kermesse fundraiser on Saturday (April 18th) behind the big church in Ajijic.  It will be on Galeana and it would be great if we could support someone who has generously devoted a lot of time to Unión and the youth of Ajijic.  I'm sure you will see lots of tables and chairs in the street, so you can't miss it.
Fundraiser for Union Ajijic soccer coach needing chemo Kermes10

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Fundraiser for Union Ajijic soccer coach needing chemo Empty Re: Fundraiser for Union Ajijic soccer coach needing chemo

Post by Bill Phillips Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:47 am

Good idea..... What's a "Kermesse" fundraiser? What time will it happen?
Bill Phillips
Bill Phillips
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Trent Lakes Ont. in the summer - Chula Vista in the winter

Back to top Go down

Fundraiser for Union Ajijic soccer coach needing chemo Empty confused

Post by artsnob Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:57 am

Does it start at 1 or 4 both times are posted

artsnob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Fundraiser for Union Ajijic soccer coach needing chemo Empty Re: Fundraiser for Union Ajijic soccer coach needing chemo

Post by sambrit10 Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:18 am

A Kermesse is a festival put on by a neighborhood where the neighbors contribute all the food being sold. I don't know if it's always a fundraiser, but obviously this one is.

Looks like the main festival starts at 4 but they start selling pozole at 1.

sambrit10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:44 am

If you are unable to get to this fundraiser, but wish to contribute, just let me know.
I will be making a donation from our Futbol reserve fund, and will be happy to collect and remit donations from others.
Post here, or PM me if you are interested. Beer Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:48 am

It's very kind of those who are trying to help, but I can't help asking:
Does this person have either Seguro Popular or IMSS coverage?
This kind of situation keeps coming up, and since Mexico is one place where universal medical coverage is available................???

A gringa expat I knew until she died had all her chemo and palliative care taken care of by these services. She had no money for that kind of care on her own.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:33 am

Regarding the time... I was also confused regarding 1pm and 4pm. I think they might make the pozole early and let it simmer - perhaps you can buy it from 1pm?

Regarding SP and IMSS coverage. I too am confused as to why this is not covered. I haven't spoke to Pancho or his son recently about options that are open to them. I know they are very poor and perhaps it is for transportation costs to get to the treatment? I honestly don't know and I will ask. I have known the gentleman for almost 2 years through the youth football program in Ajijic and I know him to be a very generous and honest person. I know he has been sick since late last year and his chemo was going to originally start in Feb/March. I don't know why there was a delay. I will try and find out more details but I doubt I can get the story before the Kermesse. I have no problem supporting him without knowing the whole story - better safe than sorry.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sambrit10 Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:03 pm

I hope Mr. Gutierrez has investigated all options available to him, but I've frequently talked to people under Seguro Popular who tell me that certain things are covered and others, not, sometimes for very arbitrary reasons. I have a friend whose sister needs a kidney transplant and while waiting for her surgery date her lungs keep filling with fluid, and Seguro Popular won't cover oxygen because the diagnosis is kidney failure.

Or they may need the money for other things. In one case I knew of where a friend's 10 year old son suffered a spinal injury due to a fall on the cobblestone streets, my friend needed money for bus fare so he could visit his son in the Guad hospital.

That said, it is worth investigating whether Mr. Gutierrez understands all his options.

In any case, as far as a Kermes goes, it's homemade food sold for, in my experience, very reasonable prices so if you want a nice lunch on Saturday, there's no reason not to go.

sambrit10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Pancho is a poor man, not a foolish man.
The fact that his friends and neighbors are holding the fundraiser to assist him is sufficient evidence (for me) of a need.
I hope others will feel the same way. Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:15 pm

I spoke with his son Arturo this afternoon and shared gringal's concerns that his father isn't taking advantage of the free care available to him. He told me a long story of their dealings with Seguro Popular and it's limitations. His dad has lung cancer - SP only covers prostate and testicular cancer in men, breast, cervical and uterine cancer in women. I checked out SP's site and there is a very comprehensive list of what they cover. It is a very specific list and I was surprised to see that it really didn't cover much. They list 250 "medical interventions" and the specificity is quite remarkable. For example they will cover treatment of skin tumors - but not if it is melanoma.
I don't know if other services are available, but given Arturo's knowledge of how SP works, I am sure he has exhausted all other available options.
Arturo and his dad had just returned from a Guadalajara hospital this morning. I can't imagine the difficulties they must be facing. I hope we can help them.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:26 pm

I only know the son, but he seems a really good kid. Everyone who can go will feel good about it if they do.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:38 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:I only know the son, but he seems a really good kid. Everyone who can go will feel good about it if they do.
I don't think that the apple fell far from the tree. Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:33 pm

Bit late now - but regarding the pozole at 1pm.... it is a tradition to eat pozole at 1pm on Saturdays. It's expected that the people will take it home for a family lunch.
Kermes still on at 4pm.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:53 pm

TrueBrit wrote:Bit late now - but regarding the pozole at 1pm....  it is a tradition to eat pozole at 1pm on Saturdays.
Not sure about that tradition of eating pozole at 1pm, but I hope the kermes is a success.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:15 pm

When I asked about the two times on the announcement (1pm for pozole and 4pm), Arturo, his son, who is organizing the event told me this.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fastfox Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:21 pm

Whomever knows this person with cancer should tell about Phoenix Tears. The information about this was posted by Jim W. The chemo destroys your immune system. There is another option if he can find some way to get what he needs.
Fastfox
Fastfox
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gvprod Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:27 pm

Don't worry about coverages, get out of your house and go spend a few pesos on some good food and help someone in need. Better to spend your money there than at a local eatery.
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:49 pm

I just returned from the Kermes and spoke to Pancho and his son, Arturo.  Pancho looked frail but not too bad considering.  Arturo has been giving him MMS which he claims is a natural chemotherapeutic substance.  I hadn't heard of this type of cure so I looked into it and found out that MMS stands for Miracle Mineral Supplement. You mix 28% sodium chlorite solution with an acid such as citrus juice. This mixture produces chlorine dioxide, a potent bleach used for stripping textiles and industrial water treatment.  Arturo swears this is curing his dad.
Jim W also swears by Phoenix tears.  I would not discourage anyone from taking any supplement or cure for any grave or terminal illness.  And if they perceive relief or cure that is great.  Note that in both cases they are wisely seeing an oncologist as well.  As a nurse, I have watched many, many people die from cancer where the family, at a very vulnerable time, have been scammed into parting with lots of money for all sorts of "cures" based on anecdotal evidence.  The need for this belief is strong and I understand the attraction.  As Steve Jobs proved, even the smartest people can fool themselves.
Fundraiser for Union Ajijic soccer coach needing chemo Cancer10

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gvprod Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:17 am

@trubrit.............very wise words
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down