INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are there any "traditional" Mexican houses to rent/buy?

+12
elehne1
borderreiver
Rosa Venus
Intercasa
Texmexco
slainte39
Lady Otter Latté
papa chango
solajijic
David
Zedinmexico
Divergal
16 posters

Go down

Are there any "traditional" Mexican houses to rent/buy? Empty Are there any "traditional" Mexican houses to rent/buy?

Post by Divergal Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:10 am

Hi All,
 I'm new to your board, (another newbie!). I'm from San Francisco, California but I've lived in Mexico (with my Mexican hubby) for the last 5 years. This year I became a permanent legal resident.  I lived in Puerto Vallarta for 3 1/2 yrs. (he for 10) and now we're living in Tijuana. (What a change THAT was.) I loved PV (except for the summers, whew!) but hubby doesn't want to retire there. He's been to the Chapala area and really liked it. We hope to visit in a few months. We both started new jobs recently and can't get vacation yet. I would very much like to be out of TJ in 5 years or less.

And, of course, I've got questions;
1. I've checked a few websites of your lovely area but all the listed rentals and homes for sale are from American/Canadian realtors and are more on the American/Canadian venue/price. I've lived exclusively in Mexican neighborhoods the whole time and enjoy the experience. There must be some "traditional" Mexican neighborhoods with lower rents/purchase prices in the towns around the lake. Anybody on this board live in one?

2. Puerto Vallarta has a publication called Mano a Mano that lists rentals, homes for sale, cars for sale, services, etc. It comes out every week and is on-line also. Do you have anything like that? It would be great if we could see what is available before we get there.

3. I bought the book, "Mexico's Lake Chapala and Ajijic, The Insider's Guide" by Teresa A. Kendrick and it's packed full of good info, especially if you live there. Can anyone else recommend another book to give me a different perspective? I don't need one on moving to Mexico, just the specific area.

I look forward to your replies and getting to know you.

Divergal

Humor : Anything that makes me laugh

Back to top Go down

Are there any "traditional" Mexican houses to rent/buy? Empty Re: Are there any "traditional" Mexican houses to rent/buy?

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:24 am

Yes you can live in Chapala, San Antonio, Ajijic, San Juan Cosula, and Jocotepec and live in Mexican neighborhoods. I live in Ajijic in a Mexican neighborhood and no problems. They treat us nice here. You know it is noisy right?  Of course you do. Around here Mexican places are
generally in Pesos and Gringo houses are priced in dollars. Ajijic has the most expensive rents. Chapala and Jocotepec are the most Mexican villages if that is what you are interested in.

Good luck

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Are there any "traditional" Mexican houses to rent/buy? Empty Re: Are there any "traditional" Mexican houses to rent/buy?

Post by David Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:46 am

Judy King's new book.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:49 am

http://www.amazon.com/Living-at-Lake-Chapala-ebook/dp/B00FEOO00S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380894458&sr=8-1&keywords=judy+king+ajijic

Link to Judy King book, It is marvelous and current.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by papa chango Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:51 am

Hi divergal,

Welcome to the board. Starting in 1966, I lived in San Francisco for 12 years (the hippie days). Then I moved to San Rafael and lived in Marin County for 20 years or so.

I have lived lakeside for over 6 years. The first year I lived in an RV.  Then I rented a Mexican house in a Mexican neighborhood of Ajijic. Then I bought my house in the same neighborhood.

Most of my friends are Mexican and I like it like that. I love the area and the people.  Some of the gringos are a pain in the ass though because they seem to want to change this place into a suburb of LA or some other god awful place from NOB.

I think you will like it here. You shouldn't have a problem in finding a Mexican house to live in since your husband is a Mexican. If you want to contact me, please send a PM with your email address.

flag waver

Last edited by papa chango on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error)
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:11 am

Divergal, you will have no problem finding what you are looking for here at Lakeside. And, it is long way from Tiajuana--in every way possible.
You will find delightful, interesting people here. And, just as any other place on earth, you will encounter arrogant, pompous, judgmental jerks. But, you sound like you are smart enough to sort them all out. Best of luck.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:14 am

solajijic wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Living-at-Lake-Chapala-ebook/dp/B00FEOO00S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380894458&sr=8-1&keywords=judy+king+ajijic

Link to Judy King book,  It is marvelous and current.
Another plug....
As both David and soloajijic said.
With 32 years of living here, it is the best written, most comprehensive work on the area (and Mexico) that I have seen, for the knowledge you are seeking.
...and it is up to date.

¡Bienvenido prematuramente!

Last edited by slainte39 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:20 am

A fourth recommendation for Judy´s book. You won´t find a better one for telling you about living Lakeside right now.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Texmexco Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:27 pm

The above suggestions are great. One additional option, the Chapala Directory. It has been around for about 14 years, is in English, and almost 300 pages. The Yellow Pages show the area's businesses, which include 15 Real Estate Rental Agencies, some with web sites that you can visit. To download the directory ($4.99 thru Paypal) go to http://chapaladirectory.com/.

Texmexco
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:33 pm

What is traditional? Infonavit crackerbox housing? Something with adobe walls and sheets for doors and windows? Something where your neighbors are cholos? A luxury highrise where all Mexican businessmen live and too expensive for gringos?
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:10 pm

I guess you're saying like a lot of people think....nothing in the middle?  Rolling Eyes

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:39 pm

The eternal rhetorical question is what is a "Mexican" house?

Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Divergirl specified "traditional" Mexican neighborhoods with lower rents/purchase prices, which may have the same problem as saying "Mexican house" in that it means different things to different people.
I live in what I consider a traditional Mexican neighborhood in Chapala. Vast majority of people are working class Mexicans. There are a couple of houses that have been remodeled to upscale but most vary from poor to very nice. I moved here because the rent was 2000 pesos a month cheaper than where I was living and the house is larger. It is not fancy and there is no yard just concrete outdoor space (small) with potted plants. So, when I hear "tradional Mexican neighborhood" something like this is what I imagine. Others may have different images.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Divergal Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Thanks to all for the nice welcome, the information and suggestions. I will look on Amazon for the book.

I guess I didn't make myself very clear about what I think constitutes a "traditional Mexican house". I was speaking about the home itself and not the condition of the neighborhood or neighbors. In my opinion, it's a home reflecting the style of the area (before the gringos moved in), built by and sold to the indigenous people. It could be made of cinder block or adobe, as many are, and never of wood. Most do not have much land for front, side and back yards, like we do NOTB. Often the windows are a bit smaller and have opaque or colored glass behind hand made iron security bars. They wouldn't have wall to wall carpeting or a dishwasher and usually come with tile floors and a lavadero (outside sink) on a small patio behind the house. Often they are painted with what some would consider "loud" colors. Bathrooms almost always have tile on the floor and all walls. If you followed a señora home from the market, she would probably live in a "typical" Mexican house.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's not a house/condo built by/for gringos. Those would be more expensive. I don't have anything against those homes, but I was surprised at the prices when looking through all the Am./Can. real estate sites. They don't list "typical Mexican homes" on their pages. Since we are used to living in what I just described, and would be easier on our budget, that's what we'll be looking for.

Divergal

Humor : Anything that makes me laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:32 pm

You won't have any difficulty finding what you're looking for. But I don't know of any internet sites that can help you. It's more of a "come here and walk around....look for 'se renta" signs....ask at the local tienda", kinda place in the category of housing you seek. But there are plenty. You won't have any trouble.

The type of internet sites you're probably finding are property management companies that aren't just listings, but charge homeowners a percentage of the rent for the whole management shebang. Therefore....
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:41 am

Re: "Living in Lake Chapala". I own an "I Pad". I don't own a "Kindle" Can I still access this book ?
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by elehne1 Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:30 am

We have an iPad and downloaded a free Kindle app from the App Store..Kindle for the iPad and download books. Very Happy 

elehne1
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Spot Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:40 am

Like this? Very Mexican.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AZsm7Jo2aMWr0o

This on is for rent.

Spot
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sambrit10 Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:49 am

Divergal, just about every house in Ajijic Village, San Antonio, Chapala and San Juan Cosala are what you describe. Some are tiny, some are huge. Some have gardens, some don't. But they're built wall to wall using adobe brick, never wood, and they're painted bright colors or not painted at all. They have boveda ceilings and tile roofs.

In the gated communities, the houses are on streets that resemble the suburbs up north, but even those are built in a Mexican style.

I live in, and love, Ajijic Village. It is the most "gringo-ized" village down here but still, the majority (I would say the VAST majority) of its residents are Mexican, and the majority of those speak no or very little English. It's a village, not a city, with cobblestone streets, lots of horses and dogs, families sitting outside and kids playing in the streets until 10 PM or later, roosters crowing, rockets going off at ALL hours, and what seems like a parade every other week. All the traditional celebrations are observed in traditional ways.

At the same time we have English language theater, musical performances from all over the world, and a large variety of decent restaurants. To me it's best of both worlds, a very special place.

Have a great time when you come to visit!

sambrit10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofburros Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:21 am

I think you should explore the south shore. There are fewer ex-pats there and the villages and towns are just as lovely as the north shore but definitely more "Mexican".

motherofburros

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:49 am

I live in Chapala which has the advantage of being a small city (about 20,000 people), with a series of barrios that are each like small villages within themselves. I live in the barrio above the bull ring. Although I can walk to el centro and all its shops, restaurants, culture, and the malecon activities, I could also never leave the barrio and have everything I need right here. This is true of all the barrios scattered through out Chapala.
I also have lived in San Antonio Tlayacapan, a village east of Ajijic and west of Chapala. It too is a thriving village close to amenities in Chapala and Ajijic but you could live there just fine and never leave the village.
You will have a wonderful time exploring this area and discovering what it holds for you.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Divergal, I would also suggest visiting chapalaclub.com and touch base with Sid Grosvenor. He knows the area very well and can be a good resource in your hunt for the type of home you are looking for. He is a "buyer's only realtor," meaning he does not sell real estate but represents you in finding what you need at "no cost" to you. He get's paid by the realtor listing the property.

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I am a funny guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down