INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Huffing and Puffing and Riding The Rails to Nowhere

+4
CanuckBob
Carry Bean
Lehrer
hound dog
8 posters

Go down

Huffing and Puffing and Riding The Rails to Nowhere Empty Huffing and Puffing and Riding The Rails to Nowhere

Post by hound dog Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:33 pm

I just simply had had enough. The webjefe kept warning me of my imminent expulsion as I, in turn, kept making contrary comments regarding the ludicrous exaltation and earth shaking importance of astoundingly mediocre and inconsequential so-called Michoacan cuisine which, in my judgment, is about as unremarkable as cuisine can get (outside of England) yet here was the inept bureaucracy at UNESCO extolling the virtues of simple corn and chilis and beans cooked primitively in the true backwoods of Mexico that is most of Michoacan and let me make it clear that I, who have lived in Ajijic and San Cristóbal de Las Casas for ten years, have visited Michoacan many times and, while I do not assert that this is a certainty by any means that any of you should take for granted, the best meal I ever had in that state was a Burger King Whopper in central Morelia and I have had many a fine meal in Mexico from Quintana Roo to Oaxaca so this is not some Alabama rube ignorant of what he speaks yet here were the repulsive functionaries of UNESCO meeting in Nairobi and defining Michoacan cuisine as some sort of intangible heritage of humanity and that drove me up the wall but one of the moderators on the forum of which I speak with a personal pecuniary interest in harping this thing to the heavens kept repeatedly reminding us on that forum of this mindless bureaucratic nonsense as if there were even a modicum of substance to it while those gaddamned bureaucrats in between issuing meaningless awards with the substance of lime jello supped on fancy expense account feasts in Nairobi and don´t tell me I´m crazy. I´m not crazy - I´m offended. Well, maybe I´m also crazy.

Last edited by hound dog on Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Huffing and Puffing and Riding The Rails to Nowhere Empty Re: Huffing and Puffing and Riding The Rails to Nowhere

Post by Lehrer Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Do you realize that your second sentence was 278 words long??

I almost fell asleep in the middle!!!

lol! lol! lol!
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Huffing and Puffing and Riding The Rails to Nowhere Empty Re: Huffing and Puffing and Riding The Rails to Nowhere

Post by Carry Bean Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:53 pm

What forum are you talking about?

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:55 pm

Hmmm hmmmmm..... a Burger King Whopper from central Morelia. I might add that the absolute worst KFC I have ever experienced here or anywhere was in the historic district of Morelia last March. I think they were frying it in cold 90w gear oil. To not have gotten botulism from the meal was the most amazing thing.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:02 pm

Carry Bean wrote:What forum are you talking about?

chapala.com - known on this forum as TOB.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Don't think so. There is more than one TOB.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:46 pm

johninajijic wrote:chapala.com - known on this forum as TOB.
gringal wrote:Don't think so. There is more than one TOB.
I agree with gringal -- I don't recognize this person from ToB = chapala.com.
😕
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:11 pm

I totally lost touch in the midst of your convolutions, houn'dawg.
I became exhausted and faint and had to have a cup of tea.

That is a fine repertoire of adjectives you have there, but do you have to deliver them all at once? Huffing and Puffing and Riding The Rails to Nowhere 169387 Lizzy

PS Hi there, haven't seen you in a while. How you been keeping? L
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Lehrer:

Only 278 words long? Goddamn it I have this attention deficit disorder problem and was shooting for 300 words and lost count around 247 and that´s that. My hero William Faulkner could write entire novels without a period or, perhaps, even a comma and he was a bi-sexual drunk worthy of emulation or was that Tennessee Williams? Damn, I´m losing it again. Ever since I left the shade of that ancient magnolia tree in the South Alabama of my youth I have been disoriented and I left there and moved to San Francisco in 1966.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:40 pm

Perhaps it wasn't the cuisine of Michoacan that UNESCO was awarding but maybe the cuisine of Michigan.............

Possum and Taters

Ingredients:
1 young, fat possum
8 sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar
salt

Directions: First, catch a possum. This in itself is excellent entertainment on a moonlight night. Skin the possum and remove the head and feet. Be sure to wash it thoroughly. Freeze overnight either outside or in a refrigerator. When ready to cook, peel the potatoes and boil them tender in lightly salted water along with the butter and sugar. At the same time, stew the possum tender in a tightly covered pan with a little water. Arrange the taters around the possum, strip with bacon, sprinkle with thyme or marjoram, or pepper, and brown in the oven. Baste often with the drippings.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by locogringo Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:03 pm

[quote="CanuckBob"]Perhaps it wasn't the cuisine of Michoacan that UNESCO was awarding but maybe the cuisine of Michigan.............

Sounds more like the Ozarks. I spent ten godawful years in Michigan. It's OK if you LIKE Greek or Italian and did I mention Greek and Italian or maybe a Coneydog.
locogringo
locogringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:14 pm

[

Directions: First, catch a possum. This in itself is excellent entertainment on a moonlight night. Skin the possum and remove the head and feet. Be sure to wash it thoroughly. Freeze overnight either outside or in a refrigerator. When ready to cook, peel the potatoes and boil them tender in lightly salted water along with the butter and sugar. At the same time, stew the possum tender in a tightly covered pan with a little water. Arrange the taters around the possum, strip with bacon, sprinkle with thyme or marjoram, or pepper, and brown in the oven. Baste often with the drippings.
[/quote]

What the hell is a possum tender?

Sounds similar to an Alabama boy´s recipe for raccoon except for my favorite part of your recipe which, if I remember correctly, was to freeze the possum in the refrigerator or outside if the refrigerator is already full of coonhound retrievals. In Alabama, if one left the possum outside overnight most of the year it would be replaced by a bobcat lying about in the sun and burping with satisfaction.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:53 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Directions: First, catch a possum. This in itself is excellent entertainment on a moonlight night. Skin the possum and remove the head and feet. Be sure to wash it thoroughly. Freeze overnight either outside or in a refrigerator. When ready to cook, peel the potatoes and boil them tender in lightly salted water along with the butter and sugar. At the same time, stew the possum tender in a tightly covered pan with a little water. Arrange the taters around the possum, strip with bacon, sprinkle with thyme or marjoram, or pepper, and brown in the oven. Baste often with the drippings.
locogringo wrote:Sounds more like the Ozarks.
Okay, folks....

Having moved to Mexico from Arkansas (not too damn far from the Ozarks), I can tell you right away -- there's something wrong with that recipe of Bob's.

He forgot to gut the damn possum!!!

I wouldn't wanna eat that $h!t!!!

lol!
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Forgetting to gut the possum reminds me of something:

In the 1970s in France it was commoplace to buy a chicken with guts intact. There was an assumption that you were cognizant of that fact but there we were in the Loire Valley with cousins preparing Alabama BBQ chicken to please us redneck folk having just flown over from San Francisco and, I swear to God, our cousin barbequed that chicken without gutting the damn thing and, of course we never ate the damn thang as it was an atrocious mess filled with barbequed gizzards and intestines and crap and other things only attractive to warthogs but that was some 4o years ago so let´s lay it to rest. Let´s call it Alabama BBQ a la Loire and assume it is some sort of fusion cuisine - a term with which we were unfamiliar in those days.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down