INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cataracts / dogs

+5
espĂ­ritu del lago
Mad_Max
ferret
kipissippi
Sherman
9 posters

Go down

cataracts / dogs Empty cataracts / dogs

Post by Sherman Sat May 11, 2013 11:52 am

My aging schnauzer has cataracts that are now completely grown reducing her sight to very little.
I'm told that the only vet that can deal with this is in Mexico City. And, there's supposedly a person in Guad, but they are so new at this that the vet lakeside would not recommend the person in Guad.

Her general health is good. And, we are working with her so that she knows that when she's on the lease, including in the house, she can trust us to make sure she's walking in a 'safe' area. If she's off the leash, she's bumping into everything.

Anyone with any other information or experience with this issue?

Thanks,

mariachi

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Great sense of Humor!! I live here!!

Back to top Go down

cataracts / dogs Empty Re: cataracts / dogs

Post by kipissippi Sat May 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi Sherman,

Check this out. http://www.jefferspet.com/petvision/camid/PET/cp/5W-P1/

I've seen some very good reviews on it. I used it on a filly who had juvenile cataracts last year. She was stone blind. Ran straight into a wall. Since she was bigger than me.. I was only able to use them for awhile. One eye is about half uncovered now and the other has thinned. In any case I have her in pasture and I've never seen her run into anything or stumble.

I'm fostering two elderly ladies right now. A Maltese and a Poodle. Both have cataracts. The Rescue is going to spring for the drops for them. I'll let you know how they do. The surgery is VERY expensive..and I'm sure much more painful and intrusive. I don't remember what they quoted me on the filly but it was mucho dinero. How old is your girl?
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat May 11, 2013 1:06 pm

What a wonderful link Kippy. Thank you for posting the info because I'd never heard of these drops. My yorkie was blind, deaf and had arthritis at the end. Of all those, it was his blindness that was the hardest to deal with...poor little guy.
I am now well armed for the future with your info.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sat May 11, 2013 1:25 pm

I've picked up quite a few gems over the years raising horses and being owned by a multitude of other critters. I've talked about the DE for worming before...amazing non poisonous stuff..... but another "miracle" in my "bag of tricks" is regular garden lime for cuts. We use it on us as well as all the critters. It doesn't burn, but dries the wound ( and talkin' some serious humongous wounds on horses), keeps dirt and flies out and heals so quickly it's almost like magic.

One more hint... especially good for larger critters. If a wound is all yucky, scabbed and dirty... put a thick layer of Bag Balm (great stuff) on it and cover it with a bandage. The next day when you take the bandage off..all of the crud will painlessly come off with it..then you can use the lime...which by the way also works on proud flesh.

One more... for nasty stuff like ring worm.. a ten percent bleach solution works much faster than the ten dollar a day stuff the vet will want to sell you. Doesn't burn either. Usually one application will do it.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad_Max Sat May 11, 2013 1:37 pm

my (now deceased) cocker got a bad cataract when he was about 6 years old - he would be 15 now if still alive -

Lived in Dallas at the time - so went to the dog ophthalmology clinic and had the cataract removed and a lens put in - just like real people - at the time the cost was $2000.

When i moved here, I asked Dr Luz about the location of a dog ophthalmologist - and she said there was one in Mexico City - but she also suggested that i try someone at the University of Guadalajara - I never did and lost that contact - as the dog was doing fine - but you might even contact her in Guadalajara or the other vet that the expats use there - to see if there is anyone knowledgeable at the university.

I would assume the vet in mexico city would be much cheaper than the one in Dallas - The $2000 was about 9 years ago - and the annual followup was an automatic $200
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espĂ­ritu del lago Sat May 11, 2013 1:50 pm

I agree about the bag balm, wholeheartedly. Good to know about the lime..
espĂ­ritu del lago
espĂ­ritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat May 11, 2013 2:00 pm

We have a 15 year old Basenji, she has a bad cataract in one eye, and failing vision in the other, mostly because she was born without enough tear ducts in that eye. So this dry weather is really getting her down - but no obvious pain. We use human grade liquid tears from any farmacia - that seem to help her a lot.

It's just so sad to see her clunking into things. Luckily, she has a lot of character - I imagine, if she could talk, she would would want a real cool, pirate eye patch!
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sat May 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Pirate eye patch? LOL! I have a drawer full. When I got kicked in the face and lost my right eye..., I used "friendly plastic" to make matching earring, necklace and patch sets. When life serves you lemons...... Beer

A few years later I got "reconstructed" and a "new" eye, made the patches unnecessary... but they were definitely conversation starters.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat May 11, 2013 9:44 pm

You rock girl!
I've put this thread into my internet file "great info from web forums"
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat May 11, 2013 9:52 pm

Really! Great info, thanks Kip.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

cataracts / dogs Empty eye drops' link

Post by Sherman Sun May 12, 2013 12:42 pm

kipissippi wrote:Hi Sherman,

I've seen some very good reviews on it. I used it on a filly who had juvenile cataracts last year. She was stone blind. Ran straight into a wall. Since she was bigger than me.. I was only able to use them for awhile. One eye is about half uncovered now and the other has thinned. In any case I have her in pasture and I've never seen her run into anything or stumble.

I'm fostering two elderly ladies right now. A Maltese and a Poodle. Both have cataracts. The Rescue is going to spring for the drops for them. I'll let you know how they do. The surgery is VERY expensive..and I'm sure much more painful and intrusive. I don't remember what they quoted me on the filly but it was mucho dinero. How old is your girl?

Thanks very much for the link.
I'll give it try. At this point, any improvement would help.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sun May 12, 2013 4:53 pm

When they get older I REALLY hate to leave them with a vet... it seems like they always die... or soon after. May just be my luck.... but ... my heart won't let me chance it again. Unless it's something simple that I KNOW they can fix.

Sherman wrote:
kipissippi wrote:Hi Sherman,

Thanks very much for the link.
I'll give it try. At this point, any improvement would help.

kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Sun May 12, 2013 5:00 pm

You asked the age of my schnauzer which I forgot to answer. She is just turning 14 the end of May. The vet said her heart is still strong.

I'll check on the drops you mentioned.
We also ordered some tablets that are supposed to help. However, a friend here who has raised and shown dogs thinks that the tablets help more before the cataracts are complete.

We will do what we can.

This is always a hard time with which to deal!

Thanks.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun May 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Ah, Sherman...it is always a hard time with which to deal. I truly sympathize. Just remember that, even if they can't see you or hear you, when you hold them they can smell you and sense security and love. That's all any of us can ask for as we pass to the other side.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun May 12, 2013 10:10 pm

Pannus, common in German Shepherds looks a lot like cataracs... treatments are available ....
http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/pannus.htm
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Mon May 13, 2013 8:07 am

thanks much. I'll check.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bajavet Mon May 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Pannus looks more like a thick white film on the outside surface of the cornea (normally clear external part of the eye). Cataract is a hardening of the lens which looks like cloudiness deep to the cornea. Make sure that your Schnauzer does not have diabetes. They are one of the breeds prone to diabetes which can definitely cause secondary cataracts.
Bajavet
Bajavet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Mon May 13, 2013 10:31 pm

My schnauzer is a Standard and does not have diabetes. She is prone to pancreatis (I don' think that is spelled corrected), which I understand Standard's are.

I previously had a miniature, who did wind up with diabetes. So, I'm familiar with that issue.

I printed the information on Pannus and will take it to Antonio Ladron who is the one who said she had cataracts.

My schnauzer also seems to be getting constant inflamation in one eye.

She may just be like the rest of us who are getting old....the body parts get to a certain age and stop working like they used to! Amen.

I appreciate the input.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bajavet Tue May 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Best of luck and I hope that you can get her relief.
Bajavet
Bajavet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Thu May 16, 2013 11:21 am

I printed out the information on Pannus and some other information on meds and took it to Antonio Laron (who I like the best of the two). His response was that my schnauzer has nuclear sclerosis, which I have looked up. It's similar to cataracts, but somehow slightly different. There's no treatment.

The information on-line just suggested that we make sure to leave all of the furniture in the same place. She's not 100% blind, but nearly that. And, her hearing is not good which seemed to happen about the same time.

Unfortunately this is just an ugly part of aging.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Thu May 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Just enjoy her while you have her. My Cookie's been gone for almost two years... and I still reach down to pet her. You can't replace a cherished pet... no more than you can a friend. You just make new friends... two legged and four legged. The only negative thing about pets is..their life spans are just too short.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down