INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smart Phone/Telcel Service/Plans

+8
CheenaGringo
Bill Phillips
MexicoPete
borderreiver
David
ferret
CanuckBob
Trailrunner
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Smart Phone/Telcel Service/Plans - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Phone/Telcel Service/Plans

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:31 pm

Samsungs are great. That will probably be my next phone.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Smart Phone/Telcel Service/Plans - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Phone/Telcel Service/Plans

Post by papa chango Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Back in the day, when the MACs first came out there used to be a saying "MAC, the computer with training wheels". Now you could say about smartphones, "The iPhone, the smartphone with training wheels". I could list for you the many advantages that Samsung smart phones that have been rooted are much better than an iPhone but why don't you do some research online with Google?

About a year ago I bought my Samsung Galaxy S3 from a vendor in Guadalajara that I found about it by going to the Mercado Libre website. I do not have a monthly data plan with Telcel. When I'm in a location where I cannot get it on a wifi site for the Internet, I can use Telcel 3G data just by turning it on. 3G data usage is subtracted the from my Telcel SIM card balances just like phone calls are.

mariachi
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:34 pm

I just got back from that same TelCel store. Yes, she's sick of me. :)

Before I went back I stopped and asked a Mexican amiga how she does it. She has a new Samsung and loves it. She says she has no plan, uses wireless for all her surfing, and I don't know if she can use it for phone calls without buying minutes - don't think so, forgot to ask.

So, it's VERY clear the gal at TelCel is trying to sell me plans - and the most expensive one too, new phone, etc etc. Finally I said to her: You know, my gardener has a phone like this and I KNOW he doesn't pay 500 pesos a month to use it, he uses wireless everywhere! She finally agreed that you COULD do that. Like everything else, she's cute and speaks English and is in Ajijic so she's trying to sell the high end product.

She finally admitted I could buy a phone from her - cheapest is new Samsung for 2000 pesos, she would activate it, and I can use it with wireless everywhere. The other take away point I got was, if you HAD to be sure you had service like you were traveling or something it would behoove you to buy 1 to 5 G of internet WHICH ONLY LASTS 30 DAYS! But, you would be assured of having service.

They don't make it easy, do they. I understand she needs to sell me the most expensive everything but I'm not there to buy the most expensive anything.

Yeah, Sparks, I wonder that too but never got to that question - SIM card - I think it's possible tho. Thanks for your story, that is exactly what I suspected would happen if I wasn't careful.

Now to find a different TelCel store where the Mexicans do their business. LOL
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Done deal!
Bought a Kindle Fire instead. lol

Thanks, everyone, for all your input, experiences, and advice. Much appreciated.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:24 pm

So are you planning to use Skype or some other VOIP to call through your Kindle Fire?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Dunno, CG, haven't got that far yet. . . I will continue to use my older smart cell phone for now . . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:38 pm

Off topic...where did you get your Kindle Fire? I would like to buy a plug in charger for my Kindle Paperwhite. I made a mistake in opting for only the charger that it came with and that has to be plugged into my laptop which has to be on to do the charging. DUH!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Hmmm, it came with the device and I bought it from a friend. Why not buy one from Amazon?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:02 pm

I can but was hoping to get one locally...getting my Kindle Paperwhite here after buying it from Amazon didn't quite work out as planned. I had it sent to the son of a friend who was going to the States. She changed her mind about going and said "No worries, I'll have it sent to my Mailboxes address in Laredo and they'll get it here". Great idea. Mailboxes doesn't care what the invoice says...they decide on what the price is and charge duty accordingly. My Kindle Paperwhite ended up costing almost double the original price. I'm happy I've got it and love it but I'm not going to make the same mistake again. :(
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:36 am

ferret wrote:Off topic...where did you get your Kindle Fire? I would like to buy a plug in charger for my Kindle Paperwhite. I made a mistake in opting for only the charger that it came with and that has to be plugged into my laptop which has to be on to do the charging. DUH!

You don't have to buy a new plug in charger. Just buy the adapter for the charger that you already have. I've seen them at WalMart and several computer stores.

USB Plug Adapter

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:51 am

Casi Nada is correct... WalMart has standard USB-to-AC adapters. You just plug the USB end of your cable into it, and then into the wall. They also have the same thing that plugs into car lighters. They work for any device that charges via USB.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:15 am

Casi Nada and Helperguy...THANK YOU! Didn't even know such a thing existed. I'm a happy camper. :)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2