INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Band

+6
Zedinmexico
zenwoodle
Trailrunner
arbon
ComputerGuy
sparks
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Band Empty The Band

Post by sparks Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:00 pm

.... or mostly

A show recorded at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles on December 3, 1989, during the first tour of the All-Starr Band. Divide the stage with former Beatle Billy Preston, Dr. John, Joe Walsh (Eagles), Levon Helm, Rick Danko and Garfh Hudson (all from the anthology The Band), Nils Lofgren and Clarence Clemons (who were members of the E. Street Band, Bruce Springsteen).

sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

The Band Empty Re: The Band

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:59 pm

Ah, Nils Lofgren, guitarist extraordinaire, and hardly known outside of fan circles. Joined Neil Young when he was like 18! In the early 70s started Grin which put out some fine, fine music.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:23 pm

arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Ohhhh, maaaan! The Weight, don't get no better than that all star lineup.
And the full album too, thanks Arbon!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Billy Preston.... a blast from the past Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:03 pm

Clarence Clemons! Passed away, if I remember right.
No video on the album, :(
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:03 am

Neil Young & Crazy Horse w/ Nils Lofgren
Bruce Springsteen 2013 MusiCares Tribute
A new and pretty comprehensive interview conducted with Nils Lofgren, current guitarist in Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band and former member of Neil Young's band. In the interview he talks a lot about working with Neil on After the Gold Rush and Tonight's the Night, some funny anecdotes and lots of inside info.

From Nils Lofgren Interview | Iconic Axes: The Instruments Used By The Gods of Six Strings by Corbin Reiff:

Iconic Axes: To go back in time a bit, you got your start in a lot of way working with Neil Young on the albums After the Gold Rush and Tonight’s the Night. How did that opportunity come about, and what were those sessions like?

Nils Lofgren: I met Neil when I was seventeen when my band Grin was headed out to L.A. I did the After the Gold Rush album when I was eighteen, mostly playing piano, a little acoustic guitar and some singing. That was all pretty much done live in the studio, those sessions, with Greg Reeves on bass and Ralphie Molina, the Crazy Horse drummer and I. We did it all up at Neil’s home with a remote truck. They were great sessions, very earthy. Neil was always singing live with us in the studio, a tiny room in his home. We would take breaks and have a sandwich on his deck overlooking Topanga Canyon.

It was a very beautiful project to be a part of. Tonight’s the Night was kind of an antithesis to production. There was no overdubbing, we all did everything live, it was always a live take on a song. Neil didn’t even want us to know the songs very well; he wanted to get a very powerful, emotional performance before the musicians had time to really craft parts, which happens inevitably if you work on a song long enough. It was kind of a theme record, kind of a wake for our friends that we had lost, Danny Whitten and Bruce Barry. They were just historic records that I was very honored to be a part of.

Iconic Axes: Neil in his new autobiography Waging Heavy Peace has said that when you arrived to L.A. from Washington you actually walked fifteen miles from the airport to his house in Topanga, is that true?

Nils Lofgren: Yeah, that was kind of crazy. I had met him three weeks earlier, he was very kind and supportive and said come up to L.A. and eventually turned me on to his producer David Briggs so I moved in with Dave and I got to know both of them pretty well. But, the day I landed in L.A. I dragged a giant suitcase, and of course I tried to hitchhike, but no one would pick me up so I ended up dragging this thing. It took me all day long, I got there early in the day and I didn’t get to Neil’s house until mid-afternoon; it was hours and hours of dragging this suitcase.

So then I got to Topanga Canyon and I dragged it into the middle of Topanga, and I didn’t have any idea of where he lived. It was weird it was like a Mission Impossible Force. I kept asking people and trying to assure them that I meant him no harm, of course I was just seventeen and a tiny teenager so it wasn’t like I was threatening.

Iconic Axes: Both Neil and Bruce are incredible songwriters, what are some of the similarities and differences you’ve noticed between them, and what have you personally learned from them?

Nils Lofgren: Not to get too analytical about it, they’re both at the top of the list of songwriters. I think really you’ve got Dylan, and Bruce, and Neil Young, The Beatles and the Stones; I think those are the top five bodies of work in popular music history. There’s a lot in common with Neil and Bruce in the sense that they kind of leave you alone to your own instincts. While they’re working on their stuff they give you some rope to find something that feels right for you to add, and it usually works. Just to be around them is inspiring, you don’t analyze it too much you just work with them and watch how they tweak their songs.
More of Nils Lofgren Interview | Iconic Axes: The Instruments Used By The Gods of Six Strings.

Thanks Corbin!

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:04 am

Trailrunner wrote:Clarence Clemons! Passed away, if I remember right.

The BIG Man RIP

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:19 am

Zedinmexico wrote:I landed in L.A. I dragged a giant suitcase, and of course I tried to hitchhike, but no one would pick me up so I ended up dragging this thing. It took me all day long, I got there early in the day and I didn’t get to Neil’s house until mid-afternoon; it was hours and hours of dragging this suitcase.

Wow, what a story. That's a long way. Must have gotten out to PCH somehow and taken it all the way down to Topanga. amazing
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:39 am

Trailrunner wrote:Clarence Clemons! Passed away, if I remember right.

For the concert's 25th anniversary in 2002, the film was remastered and a new theatrical print was made for a limited release to promote the release of the DVD and four-CD box set of the film soundtrack. It opened in San Francisco's Castro Theatre, with the release later expanded to 15 theaters.

The DVD features a commentary track by Robertson and Scorsese, a featurette, Revisiting The Last Waltz, and a gallery of images from the concert, the studio filming and the film premiere. A bonus scene is footage of "Jam #2", which is cut short because they had run out of replacement sound synchronizers for the cameras after ten hours of continuous filming.

The original 2002 DVD release was packaged as a "special edition." In addition to the extra features on the disc, the Amaray case came in a foil-embossed cardboard sleeve, and inside was an eight-page booklet, featuring a five-page essay by Robertson entitled "The End of a Musical Journey." Also included was a US$5 rebate coupon for the four-CD box set. In 2005, the DVD was re-issued with different artwork and stripped of the outer foil packaging, inner booklet and coupon; the disc's contents remained unchanged.

In 2006, The Last Waltz was among the first eight titles released in Sony's high definition Blu-ray format. The soundtracks on the Blu-ray release consist of an uncompressed 5.1 Linear PCM track, a very high fidelity format, and a standard Dolby Digital 5.1 track.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Waltz#DVD_release
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:35 am

without this tranna icon[via arkansas] there would be no band iffen they hadn't been the hawks first.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:10 pm

arbon wrote:
I'm reluctant to post this, but I was at that concert,I was 17,a friend had two tickets and we drove up from LA that morning,my mom was pissed that I was going to miss Thanksgiving dinner with the family.They served turkey dinners to everyone in attendence that night at Winterland.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:22 pm

Don't be reluctant to post a memory like that! What a great time. Imagine mom got over it. . .

I went to the Ambassador Hotel one night for The Canned Heat, Jefferson Airplane, and Grateful Dead. No chairs, we sat on the floor, they passed around a box of apples. I think the whole night was free.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Don't be reluctant to post a memory like that! What a great time. Imagine mom got over it. . .
Well,there's a lot of skeptics on this forum,they might want me to produce the ticket stub.My mom was a very forgiving mom,she got over a lot of the stuff I pulled.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Hey, I have a gold-flecked ticket stub somewhere for a Sly/Family Stone concert, and one from a Meatloaf concert where he actually fell off the stage before the show ended... well, that ended the show.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:11 pm

I still have my Woodstock ticket. The gates had been torn down and the fence destroyed, never needed the ticket. Wish it was worth something. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Dude!
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:25 pm

i was at maple leaf gardens for the one and only time elvis performed in canada. no ticket for proof but ask judy earl who screamed my damned ears off fer the whole concert.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Pedro wrote:i was at maple leaf gardens for the one and only time elvis performed in canada. no ticket for proof but ask judy earl who screamed my damned ears off fer the whole concert.

Funny

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

The Band Empty Elvis

Post by Irish Gal Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Pedro wrote:i was at maple leaf gardens for the one and only time elvis performed in canada. no ticket for proof but ask judy earl who screamed my damned ears off fer the whole concert.

I was there too but didn't see you! Our tickets were $7.50 each, big bucks at that time.

Irish Gal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:37 pm

I had never heard of border (which concert(s) I attended) promotions until today. lol! lol! lol!
...and I've been here a long time.

I just missed Perry Como and his show with the pavos reales in Tlaquepaque....darn it.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:50 pm

slainte39 wrote:I had never heard of border (which concert(s) I attended) promotions until today. lol! lol! lol!

I just missed Perry Como and his show with the pavos reales in Tlaquepaque....darn it.
Trailrunner,now do you understand why I was reluctant to post?

Slainte,considering the long time you've been here,since the days of Lazaro Cardenas,as you once stated,you'd think your Spanish would be better than it is.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:10 pm

I think he favours Gaelic. But Perry Como? I LOVED that show.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:23 pm

[quote="viajero"]
slainte39 wrote:I had never heard of border (which concert(s) I attended) promotions until today. lol! lol! lol!
Slainte,considering the long time you've been here,since the days of Lazaro Cardenas,as you once stated,you'd think your Spanish would be better than it is.

Are you looking for a reaction?

Don't doubt your word about the concerts...was kidding around as the LOL's indicated. Don't try to make it an issue with me.

Now what did the post have to do with Spanish and your comment about my Spanish being better as I don't think you and I have ever had a conversation that I know of...maybe so?

"you'd think"....I don't think anything about my Spanish or yours either, as I don't care. I'm sure you get along just fine as so do I...but I appreciate your concern. Rolling Eyes

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:29 pm

HelperGuy wrote:I think he favours Gaelic. But Perry Como? I LOVED that show.

As long as "I've been around", you would think I would speak that better too....as well as English.

As Viajero will find out...age is no guarantee of improvement. Very Happy

Last edited by slainte39 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next