INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Restaurants closing

+13
slainte39
Texmexco
Pedro
coffeeguy
twelveoaks
K2tog
ComputerGuy
ferret
E-raq
CanuckBob
joec
gringal
artsnob
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Restaurants closing - Page 2 Empty Re: Restaurants closing

Post by joec Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:08 am

HelperGuy wrote:Tony's chicken place? Oh, yeah. Mos def. Ever since he started doing chicken strips at the butchery, and he was always sold out. But even though those wings are deelish, I prefer the deep-fried variety with a rub over the bread-crumb (?) coating.

Yes, there chicken tastes good, but I'm concerned that it's fried in "unhealthy" fat.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:12 am

I agree John...that's why we limit ourselves to once every couple of months...it's a treat that ain't good for you.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:18 am

joec wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:Just discussing with a friend yesterday over burritos, at the 24-hour burrito place on the highway to Guadalajara, how it has been so consistent over the years. The food staff always prepares them immaculately and always the same, super-speedy whether to eat in or take out. Delicious. The place is packed day and night.

It's packed because it's cheap and truckers eat there. Ate there once, NEVER again.
I like it because of the freshness and both times that I was there it was lawyers that took me to hobnob with the truckers. Oh sorry, I was there a third time with a cab driver friend but have never been there with a physical therapist. Do you know where I can find one that won't mind going there with me?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:30 am

ferret wrote:I agree John...that's why we limit ourselves to once every couple of months...it's a treat that ain't good for you.
Yeah, but does he mean fat is unhealthy in general? Or that they are using fat that has something wrong with it?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:37 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with the fat (oil) that they're using. It's just not something that I want to consume regularly. Let's put it this way...they're not using Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
They are using their fryers properly...at a high temperature so the oil doesn't enter the food too much.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 am

HelperGuy wrote:
ferret wrote:I agree John...that's why we limit ourselves to once every couple of months...it's a treat that ain't good for you.
Yeah, but does he mean fat is unhealthy in general? Or that they are using fat that has something wrong with it?

Fried food is unhealthy ESPECIALLY if cooked in the wrong oil. I don't know if they're using vegetable or canola oil. They sure ain't using olive oil.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:09 am

joec wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:

Fried food is unhealthy ESPECIALLY if cooked in the wrong oil. I don't know if they're using vegetable or canola oil. They sure ain't using olive oil.
Canola and olive are also vegetable oil.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:13 am

Peanut oil is the best, but the cost is prohibitive. Back home we have a number of chip trucks, and the ones that use peanut oil and fry their fish in a separate fryer are the most popular.

Olive oil really wouldn't be good generally for deep frying. It can have that undeniable olive oil taste, but really it retains the flavour of whatever is cooked in it, so you need to replace it every time... and talk about expensive.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:15 am

'tis true but do a little googling and you'll find that olive oil is the healthiest of all the oils.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:17 am

I have to draw the line between healthy in body and healthy in the pocketbook. A mix of canola and sunflower oil is my preferred use.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:33 am

I don't fry anything anymore. Very Happy ...and haven't for many years. Gone are the days of Schnitzel and rosti potatoes. I will saute with a bare film of olive oil in the pan.
Don't wanna stir the pot Mike but "not healthy in body puts a real hole in your pocketbook when having to pay for the consequences in health care". I cook that way for my hubby's health not my own.
Each to his/her own...and obviously I'm not a goodie two shoes 'cuz I smoke.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:59 am

You're absolutely right, and we each have our own crosses to bear.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Texmexco Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:15 pm

So, do any of you folks have a used deep fryer to sell?? Seriously! I just couldn't resist posting in this thread. LOL

Texmexco
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Texmexco wrote:So, do any of you folks have a used deep fryer to sell?? Seriously! I just couldn't resist posting in this thread. LOL

You can have mine, gratis....over my dead body, after my early demise from "fried food". Rolling Eyes LOL

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:01 pm

HelperGuy wrote:I have to draw the line between healthy in body and healthy in the pocketbook. A mix of canola and sunflower oil is my preferred use.

Just be aware SOME people are looking at Canola oil as not so good.
I would do some reading about Canola. Beware many bad pro Canola studies I wouldn't trust. It is cheap.

One quote from anti Canola Website

Canola oil, on the other hand, is typically extracted and refined using high heat, pressure, and petroleum solvents such as hexane. Most canola oil undergoes a process of caustic refining, degumming, bleaching, and deoderization, all using high heat and questionable chemicals.

This person like Coconut oil, olive oil, and Grass fed butter for fats. Too many chemicals and solvents used in Canola processing.

Sigh Sorry about this.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:I have to draw the line between healthy in body and healthy in the pocketbook. A mix of canola and sunflower oil is my preferred use.

I would do some reading about Canola. Beware many bad pro Canola studies I wouldn't trust. It is cheap.

Canola oil, on the other hand, is typically extracted and refined using high heat, pressure, and petroleum solvents such as hexane. Most canola oil undergoes a process of caustic refining, degumming, bleaching, and deoderization, all using high heat and questionable chemicals.

This person like Coconut oil, olive oil, and Grass fed butter for fats. Too many chemicals and solvents used in Canola processing.

Sigh Sorry about this.

Z
What you should be "sighing" about and sorry for, is the stupidity you quoted from an admitted "anti- canola" site.
The beauty of using canola in your deep frier is, that it lasts and lasts before breaking down. The growing fields look quite nice too.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:27 pm

melwhitlock wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:

Sigh Sorry about this.

Z
What you should be "sighing" about and sorry for, is the stupidity you quoted from an admitted "anti- canola" site.
The beauty of using canola in your deep frier is, that it lasts and lasts before breaking down. The growing fields look quite nice too.

You should change oil every 2 - 3 times that you use it or when it's starts to get a little darker than when you first use it.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Big Spender chiming in here.

I cook exclusively with first pressed extra virgin (a giggle phrase if there ever was one) olive oil, but it takes much less of it than it does of the other oils for some reason, so a big ten dollar bottle lasts a LONG time. Deep fry? No way. Heart surgeons love the people who love the deep fry.

Besides, what's a ten dollar bottle of olive oil and real butter in the mix of what we spend on food and drink, eaten in or out? I know that real "foodies" will spend even more on their oil.....but I don't go there. I just like healthy food, and it keeps your hair (if you have any) shiny. cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:42 pm

Gringal:

Your method is exactly the same as prescribed by my former Oregon based chiropractor/nutritionist to prepare a healthy diet designed to help me recover from hepatitus almost 20 years ago. To the amazement of my regular MD, I managed to fully recover in exactly 30 days instead of the three to six months predicted by the MD.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:03 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Gringal:

Your method is exactly the same as prescribed by my former Oregon based chiropractor/nutritionist to prepare a healthy diet designed to help me recover from hepatitus almost 20 years ago. To the amazement of my regular MD, I managed to fully recover in exactly 30 days instead of the three to six months predicted by the MD.

I guess you got to my recipe before I deleted it. I thought the post was too long, so took it out. For the curious, it's a method of frying fish, chicken, etc. (not steak) by using a little olive oil, a small bit of butter for flavor and a little steam to get it done. Comes out tender and tasty without battering or deep frying. For fried eggs, you can get the exact amount of done-ness you want with the steaming instead of lots of oil and turning them over.

My esposo had a cholesterol problem before we left the states, and a combination of a healthier diet and nopal tablets got it down in 30 days. He used to love french fries.......but avoids them. (mostly). He's afraid I'll stand on a box and punch him out. The thing is: I found him on the 5th floor+ of the husband store and would like to keep him around. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:05 pm

melwhitlock wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:

Sigh Sorry about this.

Z

So you think it is a good idea to use Hexane to process the oil? You didn't refute anything they said. You can do what you want obviously you like
Canola oil. I just think people should read a little before they assume it is harmless as you do. So that makes me stupid? It doesn't matter how
long the oil lasts if it is bad for you. Yes I agree the rapeseed fields in France looks nice when the yellow flowers come out. You do know much of
this originated as animal feed?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:16 pm

And, probably 100% of canola oil produced in the US is GMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food

"Commercial sale of genetically modified foods began in 1994, when Calgene first marketed its Flavr Savr delayed ripening tomato.[2] Typically, genetically modified foods are transgenic plant products: soybean, corn, canola, and cotton seed oil."

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:11 pm

OMG. Quaker Oats? The kind they tell you to eat for health
?
Is it in both the Old Fashioned kind as well as in the Instant?

And to think I've been feeling guilty about preferring a home made crumpet from the farmers market, with marmelada......to oatmeal. Hmmmm

Is there no hope?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:19 pm

Oh, sorry, are we talking about oats? I thought we were discussing healthy vs non-healthy oils. . .

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:20 pm

She is thinking of the other thread and yes the old fashioned too. Both were listed.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:30 pm

gringal wrote:OMG. Quaker Oats? The kind they tell you to eat for health
?
Is it in both the Old Fashioned kind as well as in the Instant?

And to think I've been feeling guilty about preferring a home made crumpet from the farmers market, with marmelada......to oatmeal. Hmmmm

Is there no hope?

Talk about straying far afield....well, any restaurant serving quaker oats should close...now we're back on topic.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next