INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arthritis pain drug diclofenac should be pulled...

+3
espíritu del lago
E-raq
ferret
7 posters

Go down

Arthritis pain drug diclofenac should be pulled... Empty Arthritis pain drug diclofenac should be pulled...

Post by ferret Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Just a heads up if you're taking a medicine with this ingredient...

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/02/12/arthritis_pain_drug_diclofenac_should_be_pulled_due_to_adverse_heart_effects_study_says.html
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Arthritis pain drug diclofenac should be pulled... Empty Re: Arthritis pain drug diclofenac should be pulled...

Post by E-raq Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 am

OHHHHHHH NOOOOOO, that's what I take for pain. Tylenol three wrecks your liver, so what choice do I have now?

HELPPPPPPP!!!!!
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Arthritis pain drug diclofenac should be pulled... Empty Re: Arthritis pain drug diclofenac should be pulled...

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:24 am

http://arthritis-research.com/content/11/3/R88
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:37 am

espíritu del lago wrote:http://arthritis-research.com/content/11/3/R88

Damn good thing I never gave up those cigarettes!
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:55 am

ferret wrote:Just a heads up if you're taking a medicine with this ingredient...

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/02/12/arthritis_pain_drug_diclofenac_should_be_pulled_due_to_adverse_heart_effects_study_says.html

This is the most useless drug on the market. Why bother even making it. Naproxen is much better. All NSAIDS have side effects. And Doctors here love to prescribe Voltaren. It does nothing either. Just use BenGue, it's 100 times better.

I've used both of the above after my knee operation. Waste of money.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:57 am

E-raq wrote:OHHHHHHH NOOOOOO, that's what I take for pain. Tylenol three wrecks your liver, so what choice do I have now?

HELPPPPPPP!!!!!

Try some booze or smoke some pot. LOL

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:54 am

Okay, don't laugh but: Our friend's big old dog had baaad arthritis. The kind where she had trouble getting up the steps. The vet prescribed an OTC drug called WOBENZYN, which you can look up on the net. Been around for over 50 years. So the dog got dosed and very shortly, got much better and was pretty frisky, considering. My husband, also getting painfully arthritic, said "well, hell, I'm just another old dog" and he tried it. Amazing. Much improved. No bad side effects. We buy it at Walmart. Good for your shiny coat, too. What could be better and cheaper than that?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:14 pm

Did your hubby get frisky too? :)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Read carefully:
http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/wobenzym-n-a-closer-look-at-systemic-enzyme-therapy/
http://www.drterrywillard.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Consultants-Final-Report_Enzymes.pdf
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:59 pm

I used ketorolaco for a toothache,it worked like a charm,is it the same as diclofenac?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:06 pm

http://translate.google.com.mx/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketorolaco&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dketorolaco%26hl%3Den%26tbo%3Dd%26biw%3D1152%26bih%3D483&sa=X&ei=DfEbUanVOqf02gX6zYDYDA&sqi=2&ved=0CC4Q7gEwAA

I think the short term use for a toothache would be OK. The link above says that it has the same side effect as other NSAIDS.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks Ferret,I did google it before taking it and learned about the risks involved of using it for more than a few days.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:04 pm

ferret wrote:Did your hubby get frisky too? :)

Tee hee. You dirty old lady, you. He romped all over the yard and started barking at the garbage man. Other than that................

BTW, he takes four pills morning: four night time. He has no other miseries: not obese, not taking other drugs, and no heart problems.......just getting old.........LOL.

I read that article referred to, and obviously, no enzyme is appropriate for all kinds of medical conditions. It was originally developed in Germany as a hopeful treatment of cancer... which didn't work. Long out of patent.

My husband has the kind of rheumatoid arthritis associated with childhood rheumatic fever. His opinion is that the possible side effects of Wobenzyn are far outweighed by the many side effects of taking the popular prescription painkillers on a regular basis.

I do notice that there's a large number of people who discount any remedies other than those promoted by Big Pharma. Just saying.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:20 pm

in agreement w/ you.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:29 am

O.K. thank you ladies, must finally give in and get that WOBENZYN. Guess going the prescription route was just too easy.

@gringal, I'm 100% on the same side as your husband. Time for me to put up or shut up I'd say.

@ferret, many thanks for the warning. I was awfully reluctant to take even one pill yesterday, but finally gave in about 8. So I'll be saving those puppies for emergency use only.

By the way I was also on a similar drug to Vioxx, when they yanked that one off too. It worked REALLY well, however since death didn't seem to be a good option I stopped.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:25 am

Just think: mankind used to live only 45 years at best with rare exceptions, so what we have now is a long time to experience extra pain. Not too bad a trade, actually.
cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:52 am

gringal wrote:
Just think: mankind used to live only 45 years at best with rare exceptions, so what we have now is a long time to experience extra pain. Not too bad a trade, actually.
cheers

No, unless it's really really bad pain, however morphine might be not so bad. Just sayin'. ;-)
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Arthritis pain drug diclofenac should be pulled... Empty Old News...

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:11 am

This is really rather old news.

1. A long, long time ago COX (Cyclooxygenase) 1 and 2 inhibitors were used to treat pain and inflammation. The drugs were not selective. They worked on both COX 1 and COX 2 at the same time. This was in the old days before it was considered cool to sue your doctor, the company that made the medication, your neighbors, etc. People were just happy to have a pill to lower their pain.

2. We learn what COX is. Inhibiting COX 1 causes gastric symptoms. Inhibiting COX 2 lowers inflammation and pain. So, it seems logical to make a medication that is more specific towards COX 2. They were developed, able to be taken at a higher dose without gastric symptoms (thus more effective), but there were more heart attacks. A link was found, and some people were sued because people like free money.

3. Some smart guy says "Shit!, what about all the other non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs that have been in use for years?" So, they were checked, and all of them have the same problem. Just some cause more problems than others. Aspirin and naproxen were two that their effect on the platelets offset the risk. Most of the others are considered a risk for a heart attack to some degree.

4. The mechanism by which they cause heart attacks is discovered. They do not allow the arteries to the heart to relax.

5. We now have more information about some very useful drugs, and can make a more informed decision on which one is best, based on the symptoms and the patient.

Attachments
Arthritis pain drug diclofenac should be pulled... Attachment
AINE NSAID Heart Attack Risk _ Fox News.pdf You don't have permission to download attachments.(130 Kb) Downloaded 4 times

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:16 am

Some more information.

Or maybe not. "Could not upload file : exceeded user allowed storage. (Free space : 11)"

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:22 am

Another try... it seems that the 0.977mb max is not just per file, it is the total per person with all attachments ever sent. Reminds me of my old 386 with its 40mb hard drive :(
Attachments
Arthritis pain drug diclofenac should be pulled... Attachment
Analgesicos - Tabla Revisada por Sam.pdf You don't have permission to download attachments.(58 Kb) Downloaded 3 times

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:57 am

Does this mean I can still take my diclofenac with codeine once a day?
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:37 am

Have you tried the Voltaren? It is a cream with 1 percent diclofenac sodium. My knee was hurting real bad and I put 2 grams on my knee and rubbed it in. I swear to God in less than a minute all the pain was gone!! My doc said I could use it up to 4 times a day, twice a day works great for me!
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:49 am

Thanks Espiritu, I have tried it, however with all discs in my neck either ruptured or bulging, the topical stuff just doesn't cut the ice.

I'm currently working on sirdalud, a muscle relaxant and tafil. Trying to get the rx. meds down to a really dull roar, as in none. Plus Wobenzym, mentioned above.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down