INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CUTTER ANTS.....worst year in a decade

+2
Parker
Jim W
6 posters

Go down

CUTTER ANTS.....worst year in a decade Empty CUTTER ANTS.....worst year in a decade

Post by Jim W Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 pm

I stopped @ the Scorpion Ladies shop today, and she was out of Patron, most effective poison @ lakeside to control them. Last night they stripped the wife's night jasmine and a poinsettia tree.

If you have a problem with them google, and see why. There can be over a million in a nest, as much as 15 to 30 feet underground. There can be multiple queens. Sprinkle patron 2-6 feet away from entry along their trail, and the workers haul it down and infect the food supply. They are well organized, and fascinating. Spray a couple hundred/thousand with home defense, they die, but the workers remove them and they are gone in the morning.

Deb is so pissed...loves her night Jasmine. CUTTER ANTS.....worst year in a decade 18717
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

CUTTER ANTS.....worst year in a decade Empty Re: CUTTER ANTS.....worst year in a decade

Post by Parker Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:16 pm

Thank You!!! We’ve never dealt with this issue before but just lost a few plants. And to put it like Dawg, if one of you sumbitches (sp?) buy all the “Patron” you’ll get no Tequila from me.Evil or Very Mad

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

CUTTER ANTS.....worst year in a decade Empty Re: CUTTER ANTS.....worst year in a decade

Post by Chapalagringa Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:18 pm

I've always wanted to try corn meal...do you have any in the house? Set some out for them and see if they like it...apparently they eat it, it expands in their bellies and kills them. I set some out our first year here but they never came.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:I've always wanted to try corn meal...do you have any in the house? Set some out for them and see if they like it...apparently they eat it, it expands in their bellies and kills them. I set some out our first year here but they never came.

Chapalagringa, PLEASE spend a couple minutes and Google.....Cutter ants don't eat corn meal, they haul leaf cuttings down to the nest, or area they feed. Millions in a colony... Sumtimes ya crack me up... Smokealot
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:I've always wanted to try corn meal...do you have any in the house? Set some out for them and see if they like it...apparently they eat it, it expands in their bellies and kills them. I set some out our first year here but they never came.

Cutter Ants eat Johnie Cake?? Shocked
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:53 pm

hockables wrote:

Cutter Ants eat Johnie Cake?? Shocked

HOCKS....TFF.....Yer turnin a Sirius subject into stupid.....and it did crack me up! Chap Gring has new fix for cutter ants....think I'll make em corn bread!

Lets meet for cervesa tomorrow ....gotta be cold u pick Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:59 pm

BTW, I just learned that if you find their trail “Home Defense” works just fine. And as far as I can tell HD is available at the big box stores. (Home Depot, Costco etc.)

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Well, maybe it'll move em next door. You google it. Diatomaceous earth, borax, corn meal, add some ground hot pepper to that mix. Don't bake it. put some meal out there and tell the squirrels and cat to stay out of your trap cause it ain't their snack.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:07 pm

ok, just forget the corn meal, leaf cutter ants like to use it to grow fungus. That's all you need to go along with your squirrel and ant farm is fungus growing.

http://askabiologist.asu.edu/leafcutter-ant-colony

Fungus food: What do the ants feed the fungus? In our colonies, we give the ants leaves from green Palo brea trees. On top of that, we have also learned that the ants like to use cornmeal and oatmeal to grow the fungus.

lololol
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:20 pm

Parker wrote:BTW, I just learned that if you find their trail “Home Defense” works just fine. And as far as I can tell HD is available at the big box stores. (Home Depot, Costco etc.)

It is indeed Parker, I bought my HD from Costco, delivered by Lakeside express, however, keep in mind this is a superficial fix, as it doesn't get the poison, like Patron, to the feeding area.

Good Luck, Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:44 pm

Worst I've seen too! Raid can work for awhile. Still better to get Patron. They've been doing a job on our yard and Bugambilia around the Community. We use 3 cans of Raid last month.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:28 am

They are horrible this year.

The lady at the nursery next to Telmex in Ajijic sells some stuff. It's a liquid, and she sells it in small plastic vials/jars. You can dilute it with water and spray your foilage with it. However, the best way to get rid of them is to find their nest and pour some of the liquid directly into the hole, undiluted. It really works.

Since they do their work mostly at night, it's difficult to find the nests. But I've noticed them out on the march in the mornings as well. Just find some "moving leafs" and follow those to where they go underground. It's easy and strangely satisfying when you find the nest and pour the stuff down the hole.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down