INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bye bye Twinkies and Ding Dongs

+18
Zedinmexico
viajero
bennie#2
seisdedos
jrm30655
georgeorwell2013
Rosa Venus
Uncle Jack
gringal
espíritu del lago
CanuckBob
Texmexco
hound dog
joec
CheenaGringo
E-raq
Trailrunner
ferret
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Bye bye Twinkies and Ding Dongs - Page 3 Empty Re: Bye bye Twinkies and Ding Dongs

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:41 am

jrm30655 wrote:Hostess: Union Rules were Harder to Digest than Twinkies
Courtesy of Dr. Paul Price

Did union workers simply get their 'Just Desserts' for backing Hostess into a corner with too many unreasonable demands? Consider the evidence.

Union workers have now completed their mission. 18,500 jobs are gone forever.

The national labor bosses stood firm. Labor leaders are proud they stood up to those nasty ‘suits’ [see Entourage for definition] who refused to run a money-losing business simply to continue paying salaries and benefits.

Hostess posted a $341 million loss in 2011 on revenues of about $2.5 billion. Contributing to those 2011 losses:

•$52 million in Workers’ Comp Claims
•Dealing with 372 Distinct Collective-Bargaining Contracts
•Administration of 80 Separate Health and Benefits Plans
•Funding and Tending to 40 Discrete Pension Plans
•$31 million in year-over-year increases in wages and health care benefits for 2012 v. 2011
Uncounted in the above numbers were the outrageous union-imposed rules that made for a too-high-to-bear cost of sales:

•No truck could carry both bread and snacks even when going to the same location
•Drivers were not permitted to load their own trucks
•Workers who loaded bread were not allowed to also load snacks
•Bringing products from back rooms to shelves required another set of union employees
•Multi-Employer pension obligations made Hostess liable for other, previously bankrupted, retirement plan contributions from employees that never worked for Hostess at all
America has come to this. The only defense against insane union demands is the willingness to walk away and close shop.

With General Motors and Chrysler we found that even that remedy wouldn’t work.

Ow I don't know Chrysler and General Motors are doing OK considering. They both
have some of the best product they have ever had. GM was too big to fail and Chrysler
probably should have failed from a Capatilistic view. I guess Hostess is just not big enough
to be saved laugh out loud. Maybe all mega companies should be reduced in size so they
can go bankrupt like Hostess if they screw up and that includes the union folks and bosses.

Z

By the way some of the info is wrong as the Teamsters did settle and were urging other
unions to compromise so it was not quite the bad union thing this person wrote. I don't
know what other bad info was included but when I see one bad data I look for another.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Bye bye Twinkies and Ding Dongs - Page 3 Empty Re: Bye bye Twinkies and Ding Dongs

Post by slainte39 Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:22 am

EXACTLY!....Is it data or is it spin?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:37 pm

<By the way some of the info is wrong as the Teamsters did settle and were urging other
unions to compromise so it was not quite the bad union thing this person wrote. I don't
know what other bad info was included but when I see one bad data I look for another..>

There was nothing in the article that said that the teamsters didn't settle.

However, the teamsters work rules were horrible. Plus there was something like 60 different contracts in the US with the Teamsters and the bakers unions.

The Bakers Union was the one that refused to budge and caused the final shutdown.

I read an article where one of the guys was complaining that an 8% cut would cost him $200 a week. That means that he was making over $100,000 per year. This is not nuclear science, it is baking bread and treats.

I actually know a nuclear scientist and he makes about $100K a year. I have a daughter with 3 degrees and is a forensic scientist and she makes 50% of that.

As I'm typing, I'm waiting on dough to rise because I'm making rolls for Thanksgiving dinner. If I can make rolls, probably anyone can..

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:04 pm

jrm30655 wrote:
I read an article where one of the guys was complaining that an 8% cut would cost him $200 a week. That means that he was making over $100,000 per year. This is not nuclear science, it is baking bread and treats.
So what is it about a management team that can neither manage a company nor bake a Twinkie that makes it worth so damned much? All of those union contracts were agreed to by management---inept, corrupt and greedy management. The bakers earned their money; the managers ruined the company. If you're looking to place blame place it where it belongs.

George
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:10 pm

mattoleriver wrote:
jrm30655 wrote:
So what is it about a management team that can neither manage a company nor bake a Twinkie that makes it worth so damned much? All of those union contracts were agreed to by management---inept, corrupt and greedy management. The bakers earned their money; the managers ruined the company. If you're looking to place blame place it where it belongs.

George

I agree with you. Management should have never allowed the unions in to start with. Before it is over, both labor and management will be looking for new jobs and that is the way that it should be.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:24 pm

jrm:

You are smart enough to know that depending on "Right to Work Laws" in various States, management might have been able to keep out unions while in other States, their hands are pretty much tied once an approval vote is taken. From everything I have read, Hostess is a classic example of bad management and unreasonable union control. No point to playing the blame game at this point and figure that someone like Bimbo or WallyWorld (rumored) will see the opportunity to continue praying on the horrible snack habits throught the world!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:50 am

jrm30655 wrote:<By the way some of the info is wrong as the Teamsters did settle and were urging other
know what other bad info was included but when I see one bad data I look for another..>

There was nothing in the article that said that the teamsters didn't settle.

However, the teamsters work rules were horrible. Plus there was something like 60 different contracts in the US with the Teamsters and the bakers unions.

The Bakers Union was the one that refused to budge and caused the final shutdown.

I actually know a nuclear scientist and he makes about $100K a year. I have a daughter with 3 degrees and is a forensic scientist and she makes 50% of that.

As I'm typing, I'm waiting on dough to rise because I'm making rolls for Thanksgiving dinner. If I can make rolls, probably anyone can..

But if you have the knowledge of the Teamsters settling it does
change the meaning of the quote. It was an anti union bashing
IMHO. You know not including data can be almost as bad as lying.
Now I do admit it sounds like both sides suck in this fight.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:07 pm

Well, at the risk of re-starting a flame war, the simple fact is that the company had declining revenues for nearly a decade, and the trend towards more healthy lunchbox treats for kids did them in. Today it's practically considered child abuse to give kids sugary treats, while in the hazy yester-year those treats were the sign of a loving mom.

And for anybody who absolutely must have their Twinkies or Ding-Dongs, copycat recipes about on the Internet.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:04 am

Apparently plenty of interested parties standing in line:

"Hostess liquidation draws more than 100 bidders":

"UPDATED 6:15 PM ET: Hostess Brands, the bankrupt maker of Twinkies snack cakes, received court permission to wind down its 82-year-old business on Thursday but revealed "furious" interest in its iconic brands from potential buyers.

New York Bankruptcy Court Judge Robert Drain approved the final orders that cleared the way for the company to begin selling its assets, everything from brands such as Ding Dongs and Twinkies to baking equipment and real estate.

"It's undisputed they will be worth more moving down this path," Drain said of the wind-down plan.

Around 110 potential bidders have contacted the company about bidding for at least part of its business, and 70 had enough interest to sign confidentiality agreements, Hostess' banker told the hearing in White Plains, N.Y.........

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/hostess-liquidation-draws-more-100-bidders-1C7325957

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3