INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shaw dish installation

+6
slainte39
Zedinmexico
MexicoPete
johninajijic
Jim W
CanuckBob
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shaw dish installation - Page 2 Empty Re: Shaw dish installation

Post by MexicoPete Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Remember that the standard voltage in Mexico is 127 =/- 10% Also remember that many voltage regulators are only step up, step down or do nothing voltage regulators where the voltage change is only 9 to 10% which could mean that during periods of extra high line voltage, look out. You have closer to 128, which is not good for products meant for 110 to 120 volts.

But look at the box on the power cord between the plug and the receiver, laptop, etc. Often they say, good between 100 and 240 Volts.

MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:03 pm

David wrote:I thought it was 5. Yes we CAN get rain fade anytime the storm is between the bird and the dish, but it rarely happens. At least that's my experience.

Yes , I too heard that the number is 5. I've had 8 to 9 receivers and they didn't check. How did I have 8 or 9? Well I've had then Star Choice since 2000, a year before it became available down here. I always used three to four receivers. And sometimes a unit would break, and I would throw it away, but I never told *Choice that I had thrown it away, when I bought and activated a new receiver. Then they went to HD and I got the 500 series receivers. Soon they upgraded and the 500s no longer worked on HD so I got the 505s and a 530. Now I need the 600 series because of the new Mpeg 4 compression from Anik G 1 when it comes. (The old working receivers were in my closet, not hooked up)

To make a long story short. Shaw Direct finally checked up on me, figured out I wasn't cheating (stacking) and I guess unauthorized those receivers that were no longer working or being used. I only need 3, two of which are often unplugged. By the way, with a properly bore-sited in 75 E (36.5 by 26.5 inches) you will hardly ever get rain fade lakeside (you get more fade on Anik F-2 than Anik F-1R) But should you get a much larger dish or two (one for Anik F-1R and the 2nd for Anik F-2), it will be much more difficult if not almost impossible to have any rain fade (I mean loss of signal).

And if I wanted to make sure that Shaw Direct never checked up on me, a good number of receivers not to exceed would be 3 or 4. Also remember that the 75 E Quad LNB can have 4 cables leaving from it, and that a 600 or 605 receiver needs only one RG-6 cable, but that the 630 needs two.

In my case, they know that my billing address and account telephone number are in Seattle. (No problem, because I could prove I wasn't cheating and they understood why I use the Seattle address. I pay for the Shaw account via my Seattle bank account and we don’t have a landline at the BC summer cottage, so we use my Seattle # since I pay)
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:50 pm

zenwoodle wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Yes, and a 500GB PVR for recording.

You may want to check with Mike before bringing the PVR.

He told me that the "variable" electrical power in the area caused them to behave erratically.

His email is "dish@prodigy.net.mx"

That's interesting. I have seen a few Shaw PVR boxes around the lake and have never heard anyone comment about this however if the PVR acts erratically then so be it. I got a great deal on the brand new HDPVR 630 box anyhow.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:26 am

Just get in touch with Francine. Her install guy is great and very reasonable. They also schedule you in very quickly. Cost is so reasonable that it is definitely worth not messing with it yourself. Have used their services twice now since April and couldn't be more satisfied. We carry old habits of "doing it yourself" down with us from the North but I am quickly breaking free of them. This topic reminds me of the two and a half men episode when Allen insisted that there was no need to call "the guy" when they were adjusting their disk.

Francine
333-954-1471
melanies@prodigy.net.mx
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Ajijic, Jalisco & Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico (From Washington State)

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:02 am

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll let you know who we use and what they charge.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:06 am

MexicoPete wrote:
David wrote:I thought it was 5. Yes we CAN get rain fade anytime the storm is between the bird and the dish, but it rarely happens. At least that's my experience.

To make a long story short. Shaw Direct finally checked up on me, figured out I wasn't cheating (stacking) and I guess unauthorized those receivers that were no longer working or being used. I only need 3, two of which are often unplugged. By the way, with a properly bore-sited in 75 E (36.5 by 26.5 inches) you will hardly ever get rain fade lakeside (you get more fade on Anik F-2 than Anik F-1R) But should you get a much larger dish or two (one for Anik F-1R and the 2nd for Anik F-2), it will be much more difficult if not almost impossible to have any rain fade (I mean loss of signal).

And if I wanted to make sure that Shaw Direct never checked up on me, a good number of receivers not to exceed would be 3 or 4. Also remember that the 75 E Quad LNB can have 4 cables leaving from it, and that a 600 or 605 receiver needs only one RG-6 cable, but that the 630 needs two.

In my case, they know that my billing address and account telephone number are in Seattle. (No problem, because I could prove I wasn't cheating and they understood why I use the Seattle address. I pay for the Shaw account via my Seattle bank account and we don’t have a landline at the BC summer cottage, so we use my Seattle # since I pay)

Pete, I am curious as to how Shaw wanted to verify this. Did they ask you for the RO and SO number from each box you had in use or something more complicated?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:41 am

I've had 7 running at once, don't recall why, and tech support at Shaw said not to worry because we both knew one would be going offline soon. I had to call them and remind them to de-reg it eventually.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Bob asked:
'Pete, I am curious as to how Shaw wanted to verify this. Did they ask you for the RO and SO number from each box you had in use or something more complicated?"
I had to work my into my system status screen and I believe I had to provide my "Unit ID # which at the top of the screen at the top of the list. On my HD 600 unit I would click on the "Options" button, then #4 (system settings) and then #7 (System Status) and at the top of the screen is the receiver ID #. It could have been some other piece of information, I don’t remember. I just remember that the info they wanted was on the System Status screen.

Other receivers sometimes require pushing different numbers to reach the System Status screen. I was up North when they checked and I said I couldn't get to the receiver down south but go ahead de-authorize it if you want, but I will be calling you once I get down there asking you to re-authorize the unit. They could see that I was telling the truth and to the best of my knowledge they didn't de-authorize the unit that I couldn't get in front of, because when I got down here. It was still authorized
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:52 pm

So I suppose those people that are "stacking" should keep all that system info, from all the receivers, with the primary account holder so he can provide it if contacted by Shaw........??

Just saying........ pirat
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:06 pm

The unit ID is also on a sticker on the back of the receivers.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2