INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chulo

+4
gringomojado
Intercasa
bobnliz
Lehrer
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Chulo - Page 2 Empty Re: Chulo

Post by bobnliz Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:34 am

Lehrer wrote:
Walter wrote:Lizzy, OK I'll bite. What is the "certain way" I should use my chile? Chulo - Page 2 374777

So you're biting the chile????

I'm confused....

😕

lol!

OK. I'll try.
It has to do with WHO you ask and HOW you ask.

Were you to ask a waiter, "¿Hay chile?" you have asked if the IS any chile. No problem.

But, if you ask the waiter "¿Tiene chile?" you have just asked if he HAS chile... ie. PENIS. Problem. The waiter either ran into the kitchen in a fit of giggles (if asked by a female) or decked you (if asked by a male)

Same goes for "huevos", which used the first way (hay) works just fine. Used the other (tiene) you have asked the poor fellow if he has any balls. See what I mean? Lizzy Basketball

Last edited by bobnliz on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Chulo - Page 2 Empty Eggs again and again...

Post by eñe Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:53 am

Back to the "huevos" vs "blanquillos" question, to which I didn't get any response...Can you avoid any "huevos" misinterpretation by using "blanquillos", or does that just sound silly? Has anybody ever heard "blanquillos" used here? Is the Mexican person who told me this just being a prude? Chulo - Page 2 Fresse

eñe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:50 am

eñe wrote:Back to the "huevos" vs "blanquillos" question, to which I didn't get any response...Can you avoid any "huevos" misinterpretation by using "blanquillos", or does that just sound silly? Has anybody ever heard "blanquillos" used here? Is the Mexican person who told me this just being a prude? Chulo - Page 2 Fresse

The whole huevos faux paux thing seems to get far more attention than it deserves by gringos. You will hear that word far more often than blanquillos. The latter term in my experience is used more by country folk than city. Look at any breakfast menu here and you will find "huevos rancheros or ""huevos a la mexicana etc. I have yet to see blanquillos rancheros listed. Or when eggs are mentioned in recipes huevos is far more commonly used.

IMO the Mexicans mentioned appear to be prudish in the extreme.

To me what many beginner Spanish students don't pick up on the nuance between using the verb tener and the word hay. The former generally denotes possession on a personal level vs the later being a more general term, meaning availability or existence of.

Also the difference in grammatical "person" in the verb form may confuse some. Whereas tienes leaves no doubt as to whom you are speaking, tiene o tienen are more ambiguous and possibly need clarification.

Last edited by Solovino on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:00 pm

eñe ··· The simplest thing is to remember to ask "¿Hay huevos?" as a habit. Then you will never make that mistake. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:33 pm

just ask for chilaquiles and be safe at breakfast.
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:40 pm

gringomojado wrote:just ask for chilaquiles and be safe at breakfast.
gm
I apologize for my ignorance: Without a clarification of what that means, I would be very reluctant to use the term. (You didn't mention if it means "eggs" or whatever.)
😕
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:49 pm

Lehrer wrote:
gringomojado wrote:just ask for chilaquiles and be safe at breakfast.
gm
I apologize for my ignorance: Without a clarification of what that means, I would be very reluctant to use the term. (You didn't mention if it means "eggs" or whatever.)
😕

They make chilaquiles with yesterday's leftover tortillas, softened in salsa, it is very popular in MX for breakfast. Don't be afraid of asking for huevos in Latin America, very few spots use blanquillos exclusively, and those that use that term also use huevos, as there is so much TV and internet that the language is no longer exclusive.
In a restaurant, it is always better to ask ¿Hay? though, cause the waiter doesn't really have anything, but something may be there.
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:01 pm

ROTFLMAO!! funny no matter how you meant it.

Oh Lehrer, that's bee-a-utiful!

Chilaquiles = Bob's favorite breakfast = stale corn tortilllas, torn into pieces, fried and cooked in a red sauce, served with cheese crumbled on top often made with scrambled eggs, refritos, etc. = true Mexican comfort food. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:51 pm

bobnliz wrote:ROTFLMAO!! funny no matter how you meant it.

Chilaquiles = Bob's favorite breakfast = stale corn tortilllas, torn into pieces, fried and cooked in a red sauce, served with cheese crumbled on top often made with scrambled eggs, refritos, etc. = true Mexican comfort food. Lizzy
Okay, I remember growing up in West Texas; my best friends were "wetbacks"!!! I learned most of the cuss words and I learned: "¿Quieres ir a la cama?" with the distinction that "la" was necessary to convey intention.
Twisted Evil
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:27 pm

bobnliz wrote:ROTFLMAO!! funny no matter how you meant it.

Green too!
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2