INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Expatriates in drug violence-riddled Mexico: Stay or go?"

+12
LaChula
CanuckBob
Ms.Thang
Smartalex
espíritu del lago
kipissippi
ferret
mattoleriver
Jim W
Mainecoons
johninajijic
CheenaGringo
16 posters

Go down

"Expatriates in drug violence-riddled Mexico: Stay or go?" Empty "Expatriates in drug violence-riddled Mexico: Stay or go?"

Post by CheenaGringo Wed May 23, 2012 9:58 pm

Disclaimer: Even though this story was viewed in an alcohol fueled haze two nights ago by Jim W, he didn't post it because he didn't wish to appear narcastic. Actually as I am making this post the story indicates that it was updated 3hr25min ago, so apparently I haven't realized Jim's true talents.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2012-05-23/expatriates-mexico-retirees-drug-violence/55174936/1

"SAN JUAN COSALÁ, Mexico — Pedro Toro Calvario, 15, stepped out for tacos with two cousins one night in April in this village of close-knit families on idyllic Lake Chapala.

He never returned. One of the cousins was found among the dismembered remains of 18 people stuffed into two vehicles abandoned along a highway.

"This is a situation no one ever imagined," says Agustín Vázquez, Pedro's uncle and the owner of a restaurant popular with expatriates. "The psychosis here is incredible."

Horrific violence between warring drug cartels has been a fact of life in Mexico for years. What is most frightening to Mexicans here, though, is that the victims were selected because they were innocent.

Captured Los Zetas territory boss, Juan Carlos Antonio Mercado, said he ordered the murders to spread fear and reinforce the reputation of his cartel as a syndicate that will stop at nothing to dominate the drug trade.

Such grisly violence against ordinary people seemed unimaginable to the residents of San Juan Cosalá and nearby villages, and has rattled the Americans and others who have moved to the region to spend their lives in the sun.

"It's paradise lost, at least for the short term," says Steven Miller, a retired Air Force major from Las Vegas who has spent most of the past eight years in the Chapala area.

Miller says he's going to move elsewhere in Mexico, while his companion plans on selling her Chapala-area home...................

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

"Expatriates in drug violence-riddled Mexico: Stay or go?" Empty Re: "Expatriates in drug violence-riddled Mexico: Stay or go?"

Post by johninajijic Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 pm

Quote from the Article -"Many expatriates say they're taking precautions but are not overly concerned."

"Sensible foreigners are not scared," says Rob Parker, a retired Canadian politician.

Some foreigners do not come here to simply lie out on patio furniture. Writer and Iowa native Judy King says they are active in the community, involving themselves in charitable projects and developing ties with residents and neighbors that make Mexico more of a home than a retirement community.

It is just as important to the locals, too, that the foreigners feel safe and at home. Vázquez says the foreigners support local businesses and hire maids, gardeners and construction workers — often paying them better than the going rates.

"You couldn't imagine the situation if the foreigners left," he says."

johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

"Expatriates in drug violence-riddled Mexico: Stay or go?" Empty Re: "Expatriates in drug violence-riddled Mexico: Stay or go?"

Post by CheenaGringo Thu May 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Interesting that two of Agustin's nephews were kidnapped and no mention that I can remember seeing on any forum?

John: I find it interesting that you chose to highlight a couple of the statements from this article. In comparison to other articles out of the NOB media, I thought this one was pretty even keeled.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu May 24, 2012 8:39 pm

What John highlighted is pretty much the way we feel. Just saying. . . .
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu May 24, 2012 9:32 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Disclaimer: Even though this story was viewed in an alcohol fueled haze two nights ago by Jim W, he didn't post it because he didn't wish to appear narcastic. Actually as I am making this post the story indicates that it was updated 3hr25min ago, so apparently I haven't realized Jim's true talents.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2012-05-23/expatriates-mexico-retirees-drug-violence/55174936/1

"SAN JUAN COSALÁ, Mexico — Pedro Toro Calvario, 15, stepped out for tacos with two cousins one night in April in this village of close-knit families on idyllic Lake Chapala.

He never returned. One of the cousins was found among the dismembered remains of 18 people stuffed into two vehicles abandoned along a highway.

"This is a situation no one ever imagined," says Agustín Vázquez, Pedro's uncle and the owner of a restaurant popular with expatriates. "The psychosis here is incredible."

You are FUCKING with the wrong guy....bring it on ass hole....I will rip your heart out and give it to a friend...will be in //////Albequrqe next week.
Horrific violence between warring drug cartels has been a fact of life in Mexico for years. What is most frightening to Mexicans here, though, is that the victims were selected because they were innocent.

Captured Los Zetas territory boss, Juan Carlos Antonio Mercado, said he ordered the murders to spread fear and reinforce the reputation of his cartel as a syndicate that will stop at nothing to dominate the drug trade.

Such grisly violence against ordinary people seemed unimaginable to the residents of San Juan Cosalá and nearby villages, and has rattled the Americans and others who have moved to the region to spend their lives in the sun.

"It's paradise lost, at least for the short term," says Steven Miller, a retired Air Force major from Las Vegas who has spent most of the past eight years in the Chapala area.

Miller says he's going to move elsewhere in Mexico, while his companion plans on selling her Chapala-area home...................
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Thu May 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Jim W wrote:Deleted

Way over the top and extremely offensive. Jim, ignore Neil, go to bed, start over tomorrow.
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu May 24, 2012 10:23 pm

And...for your information Jim, Neil is apparently not a but you are a hot head with a very short fuse. What does Vietnam have to do with China, which is where Neil was born?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Thu May 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Uh...did I miss something?
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu May 24, 2012 11:10 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Interesting that two of Agustin's nephews were kidnapped and no mention that I can remember seeing on any forum?

John: I find it interesting that you chose to highlight a couple of the statements from this article. In comparison to other articles out of the NOB media, I thought this one was pretty even keeled.

OMG!!! What has happened that this didn't get IMMEDIATELY posted on the forum! It's time for some of you posters who have lived here awhile to realize two things:
1. Parents don't know if their kids are involved in drugs, so they're called innocents.
2. NONE of you know what restaurants are involved with cartels, drugs or money laundering and many in certain areas are.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Fri May 25, 2012 1:41 am

Remind me not to drink tequila :(
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Fri May 25, 2012 2:01 am

Don't drink tequila.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri May 25, 2012 9:03 am

Smartalex wrote:Don't drink tequila.

Don't drink at all. Drink Sprite like I do.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Fri May 25, 2012 9:30 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Interesting that two of Agustin's nephews were kidnapped and no mention that I can remember seeing on any forum?

Pedro, Armando and Liliana were the kids that were all related. Their family put their names on a banner across the road in SJC, I think only Liliana was identified as one of the 18 ... I't's probably a good thing that only a fraction of what happens shows up on the boards and even better that most are oblivious.

Drink more Tequila...

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri May 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Ms.Thang wrote:

Pedro, Armando and Liliana were the kids that were all related. Their family put their names on a banner across the road in SJC, I think only Liliana was identified as one of the 18 ... I't's probably a good thing that only a fraction of what happens shows up on the boards and even better that most are oblivious.

Drink more Tequila...

Was this a restaurant owners children? If so, what restaurant was it?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri May 25, 2012 1:58 pm

Viva Mexico, I believe.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

"Expatriates in drug violence-riddled Mexico: Stay or go?" Empty innocents

Post by LaChula Sun May 27, 2012 8:39 am

johninajijic wrote:

OMG!!! What has happened that this didn't get IMMEDIATELY posted on the forum! It's time for some of you posters who have lived here awhile to realize two things:
1. Parents don't know if their kids are involved in drugs, so they're called innocents.
2. NONE of you know what restaurants are involved with cartels, drugs or money laundering and many in certain areas are.

John, you are way off on this! The people who were grabbed were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. They were not targeted. In the interview with the head of this operation, he was asked how he picked his victims, he said BY CHANCE. WHOEVER WAS AVAILABLE. How come 18-LOS ZETAS HAVE A QUOTA.

LaChula
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Sun May 27, 2012 11:54 am

LaChula wrote:
johninajijic wrote:

John, you are way off on this! The people who were grabbed were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. They were not targeted. In the interview with the head of this operation, he was asked how he picked his victims, he said BY CHANCE. WHOEVER WAS AVAILABLE. How come 18-LOS ZETAS HAVE A QUOTA.

I'm not sure John is that far off base... I immediatly thought about the son of one of the larger food-service familys here in Joco. He got chopped up & dumped by El Molino several months back. According to my Mexican friends (business people, not the maid or gardner,) the kid was a spotter for one of the cartels but decided to accept a better offer from a competing cartel...tragic error.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sideways Sun May 27, 2012 12:26 pm

Is there a restaurant connection in this mayhem:

The owner of Cinco Potrillos the week before the massacre;
Son of owner of Mario's;
Nephew of owner of Viva Mexico;
Two who were waiters at seafood restaurant in SJC.

Now, GBA says a Joco food service's son.

Sideways
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jackak10 Sun May 27, 2012 12:39 pm

Sideways wrote:Is there a restaurant connection in this mayhem:

The owner of Cinco Potrillos the week before the massacre;
Son of owner of Mario's;
Nephew of owner of Viva Mexico;
Two who were waiters at seafood restaurant in SJC.

Now, GBA says a Joco food service's son.

I've heard about border town businesses being extorted for "protection" money by the cartels. Don't pay, your business burns down or worse. Pay, and the price keeps going up until your profit is gone. So the business owners have sold out their stock on the shelves, so to speak, and move on. The gangsters take over the business (usually restaurants and bars) and make a big show of being legit business owners. They think the business model is just sitting and drinking with friends. Until they have to pay for supplies and/or do any work. Then they trash the place and leave.

I heard these tales from someone who has been crossing the border in Texas for 30 years, eating and drinking at the same places all along. In the last few years, he says, they started closing. Now whole city blocks are empty, nothing but trash and broken glass.

jackak10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Sun May 27, 2012 1:42 pm

The owner of Cinco Patrillos was killed in a feud between his family and another family.
I do know that two well known restaurant owners Lakeside have been extorted. One rarely visits his place of business now so he can't be found coming or leaving. I suspect extortion of restaurants and bars in getting more common locally in recent months, sadly.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sun May 27, 2012 2:00 pm

"The owner of Cinco Patrillos was killed in a feud between his family and another family."

So if the killer is known...why hasn't there been an arrest?
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down