INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Brand Drip Coffee Maker do you Own?

+8
Mainecoons
gringal
sparks
David
ferret
CheenaGringo
espíritu del lago
johninajijic
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What Brand Drip Coffee Maker do you Own? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Brand Drip Coffee Maker do you Own?

Post by GBATRUCKS Sat May 05, 2012 2:17 pm

OH NUTS! Puppy is correct...CBob...Any chanch of getting a spell-check thingy added to this?

GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

What Brand Drip Coffee Maker do you Own? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Brand Drip Coffee Maker do you Own?

Post by gringal Sat May 05, 2012 2:27 pm

GBATRUCKS wrote:OH NUTS! Puppy is correct...CBob...Any chanch of getting a spell-check thingy added to this?

CARDAMOM or CARDAMON or CARDAMUM. Webster Dictionary.

For a moment there I thought I'd have to give up my spelling bee medal. Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat May 05, 2012 2:41 pm

According to this forum's spell checker, CARDAMUM is wrong but the other spellings (CARDAMOM or CARDAMON) are correct.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat May 05, 2012 3:39 pm

Msny make these spelling mistakes when it comes to spices of fpreign lands. Cardamom is often misspellled as is turmeric. That´s OK as long as you get what you need to make a delicious dish. You´re a good sport Trucks. No hostility intended from this end.

I not mean to Dawg I´ll tell you about some great dishes you can make with turmeric. If you are mean to me then you can make your meatloaf with mama´s dreadful recipe. Youknow,
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat May 05, 2012 3:47 pm

Now that people have expressed either positive or negative views on various coffee makers, some info that may make your coffee drinking experience more enjoyable. The biggest killer of electric coffee machines of all types, is calcium/lime deposits on the heating element and second, possibly voltage variations in Mexico. Since you all are experts on dealing with the voltage spikes or dips, I will leave that one alone.

Many coffee makers and even espresso makers may suggest the use of vinegar or a citric acid solution for decalcifying one's machine. In theory, these liquids will do the trick but only if used properly. One pass of either liquid through your machine will not do the trick! The first pass does nothing more that begin to loosen the scale and it will take 2 to 3 more passes to complete the job because both solutions will be much more effective when one starts with the solution hot. Do Not: allow the solution to run through your metal basket if you have one in your machine. Do: Use a paper filter to collect the chunks of scale. Do Not: allow the chunks of scale to get back into your solution the be run through the machine. Hint: when you think the machine may be clear of scale, put in a clean filter and watch for bits of scale.

Most manufacturers of better machines, recognize the limitations of either vinegar or citric acid and tend to recommend a product such as Durgol: http://www.durgolswissespresso.com/us_en/default.htm. The formulations of some of these specialty decalcifying agents allow them to be as much as 10X more effective. Probably almost impossible to find in Mexico but if I had made the investment in an expense unit to have in Mexico, I would load up on Durgol from NOB to protect my investment.

How often should one decalcify their machine? Depending on such factors as: how many pots one makes a day, the mineral content of one's water, any special filtration considerations, etc. - 2 to 4 times a year is recommended.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat May 05, 2012 3:49 pm

hound dog wrote:Msny make these spelling mistakes when it comes to spices of fpreign lands. Cardamom is often misspellled as is turmeric. That´s OK as long as you get what you need to make a delicious dish. You´re a good sport Trucks. No hostility intended from this end.

If not mean to Dawg I´ll tell you about some great dishes you can make with turmeric. If you are mean to me then you can make your meatloaf with mama´s dreadful recipe.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun May 06, 2012 11:12 am

The ultimate self-parody. Dawg inadvertently quoting hisseff. I cannot believe that I quoted myself especially since that was one of my less interesting regurgitations.

I still say anyone who drinks drip coffee deserves to spend the rest of his/her life in Moline or some such hell hole listening to Guy Lombardo retrospectives at 33RPM.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Sun May 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Considering your age & excessive consumption of fantasy tonic lo these many years, repitition is not surprising. Seriously, what DO you do for your morning coffee...or do you DO morning coffee? We break out the french press every now & then but I can hardly function until I have a cup in me...just grinding the beans is hazardous enough.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun May 06, 2012 1:22 pm

My Coffee Maker is named Connie... So's My Juicer... My Toaster...

Before the ladies decide ta lynch poor Hocks... let it be known...

Connie don't allow Hocks in The Kitchen cept for Special Occasions....
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun May 06, 2012 1:27 pm

Hocks, there's different kinds of OPITHS (other person living in the house).

There's the kind who just get underfoot when they're in the kitchen. Wives kick them outta there.
There's the kind who know what to do in a kitchen and they actually help.
Then, there's those who actually know how to cook, and they help A LOT.

You know who you are,, dont'cha? And lucky you.
cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun May 06, 2012 1:32 pm

gringal wrote:Hocks, there's different kinds of OPITHS (other person living in the house).

There's the kind who just get underfoot when they're in the kitchen. Wives kick them outta there.
There's the kind who know what to do in a kitchen and they actually help.
Then, there's those who actually know how to cook, and they help A LOT.

You know who you are,, dont'cha? And lucky you.
cheers

Nope... I happen ta be a great cook... in fact Connie insisted I enter American Legion Chili Cook Off last January

She's simply a better cook.... and says I make to much of a mess...

Works Fer Me :)
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun May 06, 2012 1:38 pm

[quote="GBATRUCKS"]Considering your age & excessive consumption of fantasy tonic lo these many years, repitition is not surprising. Seriously, what DO you do for your morning coffee...or do you DO morning coffee? We break out the french press every now & then but I can hardly function until I have a cup in me...just grinding the beans is hazardous enough.[/quote]

OK, Trucks, since you asked: in Ajiijic we use a Nespresso machine which is a Swiss product made by the Nestle Corporation which is an appliance we discovered while staying at my sister-in-law´s home in Pariis. We fell in love with these appliances about three years ago and bought one in Mexico City about a year ago. The machine makes exquisite and consistently delicious espresso and other appliances are on sale that make foamed milk for cappuccino, cafe latte or other coffee specialties. Dawg likes hard-assed espresso whether with or without spirits. The Nespresso machine uses capsules of several types of espresso style coffee from many different parts of the world. A truly splendid product. You can join the Nespresso Club here in Mexico and have your machine and coffee capsules shipped to you from Mexico City at a very reasonable price overnight. Dawgi s an espresso freak and this is consistently the best on Earth outside of Persia or Turkey and, maybe, Cuba.

In Chiapas, with its excellent locally grown coffee, we use an Italian espresso machine and buy Chpaias beans at local purveyors, Also a wonderful product.

As best I remember, the Nespresso Machine cost about $400USD and the Italilian espresso maker, which we bought in Guadalajara 10 years ago from a now defunct business, cost about $1,200 USD. A used sock can be found for less than a dollar.

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun May 06, 2012 1:39 pm

I should have added: OPITHS who make too much of a mess.
Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Tue May 08, 2012 9:08 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Now that people have expressed either positive or negative views on various coffee makers, some info that may make your coffee drinking experience more enjoyable. The biggest killer of electric coffee machines of all types, is calcium/lime deposits on the heating element and second, possibly voltage variations in Mexico. Since you all are experts on dealing with the voltage spikes or dips, I will leave that one alone.

Many coffee makers and even espresso makers may suggest the use of vinegar or a citric acid solution for decalcifying one's machine. In theory, these liquids will do the trick but only if used properly. One pass of either liquid through your machine will not do the trick! The first pass does nothing more that begin to loosen the scale and it will take 2 to 3 more passes to complete the job because both solutions will be much more effective when one starts with the solution hot. Do Not: allow the solution to run through your metal basket if you have one in your machine. Do: Use a paper filter to collect the chunks of scale. Do Not: allow the chunks of scale to get back into your solution the be run through the machine. Hint: when you think the machine may be clear of scale, put in a clean filter and watch for bits of scale.

Most manufacturers of better machines, recognize the limitations of either vinegar or citric acid and tend to recommend a product such as Durgol: http://www.durgolswissespresso.com/us_en/default.htm. The formulations of some of these specialty decalcifying agents allow them to be as much as 10X more effective. Probably almost impossible to find in Mexico but if I had made the investment in an expense unit to have in Mexico, I would load up on Durgol from NOB to protect my investment.

How often should one decalcify their machine? Depending on such factors as: how many pots one makes a day, the mineral content of one's water, any special filtration considerations, etc. - 2 to 4 times a year is recommended.

A nice feature on the Krups is a digital read-out that tells you it is time to decalsify. The instructions,(should work with any machine) is
(1) pour 1 cup of white vinigar into the water tank.
(2) run HALF of the cup thru, then turn the machine off for 1 hour
(3) turn on & run thru the rest of the vinigar
(4)rinse with 2 pots of plain water
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue May 08, 2012 11:27 am

The best drip coffee maker is simple:

* A cheap pyrex coffee pot from WalMart or Thrifty Drugs.
* A cheap plastic filtration device.
* Coffee filters at modest cost or substitute paper towels from your kitchen or one of Billy Bob´s used socks. Better still, a used burka from Paris where they have been outlawed and are, thus, for sale cheap.
* Excellent dark roast, drip ground Chiapas, Vercruz or Oaxaca coffee beans or, preferably a combination of those coffee varieties.
* Maxwell House Coffee in the tin if you are from Moline or Peoria or, apparently, from Lakeside after having moved here from places such as those.
* If you wish, Splenda or sugar and whole or light milk.
* Extra dry French Cognac to taste or if you are my friend Trucks, your favorite Kentucky Bourbon or some such spirit.

Heat the water over your propane stove and pour it over the coffee grounds. Never even any remote need to de-calcify anything ever except maybe your brain pan.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue May 08, 2012 11:47 am

GBA:

What business is Krups in? The selling of coffee makers and the more they sell the better! The info that I passed on was based upon information provided by coffee industry experts when we were setting up a coffee shop adjacent to our gift shop on the Oreegun Coast a few years back. Most decalcify indicators are simply cycle counters and do not trigger based upon any sensing of the amount of scale.

People are certainly free to follow any method they see fit for their particular brand of machine. If we choose to spend $200 to $400USD on a coffee maker, then proper maintenance of our investment is important to us.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Tue May 08, 2012 2:04 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:GBA:

What business is Krups in? The selling of coffee makers and the more they sell the better! The info that I passed on was based upon information provided by coffee industry experts when we were setting up a coffee shop adjacent to our gift shop on the Oreegun Coast a few years back. Most decalcify indicators are simply cycle counters and do not trigger based upon any sensing of the amount of scale.

People are certainly free to follow any method they see fit for their particular brand of machine. If we choose to spend $200 to $400USD on a coffee maker, then proper maintenance of our investment is important to us.

Brilliant!...Let's design a $100 coffee maker that will fail real real fast, so people will run out buy more of them! Ever heard of word of mouth advertising? I spent 8 years owning and running restaurants & a regular purging with vinigar worked just fine. I agree that "once thru" will not do much, which is why I think they turn it off half way thru for an hour. And no, I don't think it's a cycle counter, I think it senses the time it takes to brew a pot. I can tell when the indicator is about to come on bcause it takes longer for the brew cycle to complete. If I ignore the indicator for a week or two and let the calcium build up, the indicator may come right back on & I have to give it another shot of vinigar. And where the hell is "oreegun" anyway?
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue May 08, 2012 2:15 pm

"And where the hell is "oreegun" anyway?"

Easy to spot, look for rain, fog, wind and a bunch of Meth!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed May 09, 2012 12:40 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:"And where the hell is "oreegun" anyway?"

Oregon is the classic, self-concious, conclusively self-deprecatory modest land translated into excessive braggadocio by Winnebago dwellers typical of hick places with more environmental negatives than positives which, in Oregon´s case translates into excessive drear and unremarkable landscapes interspersed with featureless urban zones such as Portland and this is what all of the unnecessary fuss is about once the discourse ends. Oregonians relish in mediocrity and think they are in the vanguard when thay are really baloons filled with hot air who, immediately upon identifying the opportunity, fly to Mexico. Great humor can be extracted from their incessant bleating about their nowhere region which has neither the beauty of adjacent California nor the boredom of the equally mediocre State of Washington to the northt. Can you believe that hillbillies from te Eastern U.S. risked life and limb to arrive at Hooter´s Corners in the 19th Century so they could mildew in the chipi-chipi?
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed May 09, 2012 12:48 pm

hound dog wrote:

Oregon is the classic, self-concious, conclusively self-deprecatory modest land translated into excessive braggadocio by Winnebago dwellers typical of hick places with more environmental negatives than positives which, in Oregon´s case translates into excessive drear and unremarkable landscapes interspersed with featureless urban zones such as Portland and this is what all of the unnecessary fuss is about once the discourse ends. Oregonians relish in mediocrity and think they are in the vanguard when thay are really baloons filled with hot air who, immediately upon identifying the opportunity, fly to Mexico. Great humor can be extracted from their incessant bleating about their nowhere region which has neither the beauty of adjacent California nor the boredom of the equally mediocre State of Washington to the northt. Can you believe that hillbillies from te Eastern U.S. risked life and limb to arrive at Hooter´s Corners in the 19th Century so they could mildew in the chipi-chipi?

Do they have Coffee in Oregon?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed May 09, 2012 5:08 pm

[quote="hockables"]
hound dog wrote:

Do they have Coffee in Oregon?[/quote]

Coffee, yes, extraordinary coffee , no. But they do make some pretty decent pinot noir. They are also the grass capital of the United States and Dawg is speaking here of lawn grass not the good stuff. Don Knotts of one bullet fame in Mayberry would be comfortable here.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2